VISTA v2 - a slippery pitcheron

bracesport

Legendary member
Just a little bit of prepping for the next stage - still some sanding to do before the first skin is applied - I made a foil bag and a foil sleeve to make it all a bit easier to slide into the bag when the epoxy is on.

Still need to make a Vacuum Nozzle point for the bag too. :)

IMG_9578.JPG
IMG_9579.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
Sanded the excess CF spar material off - cut the tip shape and thinned the top side of the tips - my plan is to bag the top side first then complete the underside sanding and bag to finish the wing - filled a few voids at the root and tip - this way is a bit slower but gives me the flat underside to bag the top surface against. :)

IMG_9588.JPG
IMG_9589.JPG
IMG_9590.JPG
IMG_9591.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Sanded the excess CF spar material off - cut the tip shape and thinned the top side of the tips - my plan is to bag the top side first then complete the underside sanding and bag to finish the wing - filled a few voids at the root and tip - this way is a bit slower but gives me the flat underside to bag the top surface against. :)

View attachment 173749 View attachment 173750 View attachment 173751 View attachment 173752
Totally awesome. How does the wing feel for strength ?

bracesport

Legendary member
there is always something to do - this morning I cobbled together a Vacuum spigot for my upcoming bagging adventure - I added a one way valve to hold the vacuum and made a bottom nut with side breathers to allow the air a passage into the spigot - I will need to make a test to see if the 'O' ring will be enough to seal the hole in the bag. :)

IMG_9605.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
In this instance my goal is to sample my design - play with CF (Skins) and fuse - push myself - I have watch a lot of YT and my first attempt is a simple approach - I hand glassed a previous wing and it flies well with no spar, so I am sure this one will be better and stronger, and a Pitcheron of course!

Laid up the top skins with about 15g of epoxy each - popped then in the foil sleeves (no mylar) to keep things clean - the CF tow fabric @0.8K is light but a bugger to wet out - now we wait!

IMG_9657.JPG
IMG_9651.JPG
IMG_9652.JPG
IMG_9653.JPG
IMG_9654.JPG
IMG_9655.JPG
IMG_9656.JPG

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
In this instance my goal is to sample my design - play with CF (Skins) and fuse - push myself - I have watch a lot of YT and my first attempt is a simple approach - I hand glassed a previous wing and it flies well with no spar, so I am sure this one will be better and stronger, and a Pitcheron of course!

Laid up the top skins with about 15g of epoxy each - popped then in the foil sleeves (no mylar) to keep things clean - the CF tow fabric @0.8K is light but a bugger to wet out - now we wait!

View attachment 173938 View attachment 173939 View attachment 173940 View attachment 173941 View attachment 173942 View attachment 173943 View attachment 173944 View attachment 173945 View attachment 173946
Super slick wings

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - thanks - I am just finding my feet for the future and although I am tempted not to paint them there are some imperfections that will need a tickle up - the process is pretty painless without any fancy equipment .... so imagine what might be possible .... :)

bracesport

Legendary member
For the fuse I used a 50mm braided CF tube as the wrap - this allowed me to get around the thickest part of the fuse an almost to the end of the tail - the tail diameter was just a tad to small to the braided tube to reduce down to - I opted to add a smaller 15mm braided tube to finish the job - there is some overlap which will require a bit of sanding. :)

IMG_9691.JPG
IMG_9692.JPG