Voltron GPS Logger

Fishbonez

Good Evening all,
I just picked one of these up was a bit pricey but actually I think it is real neat. Now I know HobbyKing had them for a lot less but they no longer stocking them for whatever reason so I went ahead paid the bucks for it. I have often wondered how fast and or how high I fly and it seems his does the trick. Pretty cool. I like doing speed runs but often as the plane is coming in at high rate of speed, right towards me and others I often get very nervous, for obvious reasons, and I pull up too soon to get a doppler reading. So I am hoping this will allow me to do speed runs safely. I figure the Mph is ground speed. Does anyone know how to convert ground speed to air speed is there a formula? How accurate are these? Just curious is all.

Here is the pictures of my Stryker logged at 118 MPH. Im feeling pretty stoked about it. Eager to try it on my Stinger 64

photo.JPG

photo (1).JPG

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
That doesn't look like five giant robot lions that transform and merge to make a super giant robot with a sword...

813271-voltron.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Nah -- it's just the GPS out of the super giant robot. surprisingly small!

If anyone sees a supergiant robot asking for directions, you might want to warn fBonez.

Fishbonez, congrats on the speed measurments -- seem to have a lill' speed demon there. Have you tried looking at the logs yet? What kind of sample rate are you getting?

Also, ground/air speed is vector math -- need to know wind speed/direction. If you know your angle between your headding and the wind, your head/tail wind is:

windspeed*cos(angle)

then:

airspeed = groundspeed+headwind
*or*
airspeed = groundspeed-tailwind

(I don't think I got that backwards)

for instance, flying 45 deg across *into* the wind, w/ 10mph wind:

10*cos(45) = 7mph head

if GS = 75 mph, AS = 82mph.

Fishbonez

118? NICE!!!! What do you thing the stinger is doing?
Well I am intend to find out today. Was going to log it in yesterday but unfortunately you need a lot of space to fly the Stinger and there were just too many soccer kids playing at the field, the nerve of soccer organizations playing at a soccer field when I am doing speed runs don't these kids have Xbox :D So any way I am guessing here but 95 mph is what I am thinking the Stinger will do. I am hoping 100 but we wil see hard to achieve here in ole WYO because of the altitude.

Fishbonez

Nah -- it's just the GPS out of the super giant robot. surprisingly small!

If anyone sees a supergiant robot asking for directions, you might want to warn fBonez.

Fishbonez, congrats on the speed measurments -- seem to have a lill' speed demon there. Have you tried looking at the logs yet? What kind of sample rate are you getting?

Also, ground/air speed is vector math -- need to know wind speed/direction. If you know your angle between your headding and the wind, your head/tail wind is:

windspeed*cos(angle)

then:

airspeed = groundspeed+headwind
*or*
airspeed = groundspeed-tailwind

(I don't think I got that backwards)

for instance, flying 45 deg across *into* the wind, w/ 10mph wind:

10*cos(45) = 7mph head

if GS = 75 mph, AS = 82mph.
Whoa boy a lot of math and angle stuff LOL I think I will stick with Ground Speed. Thanks I will try to figure it out next time would be curious of the difference,
I was not aware that the logs wer saved so I have not. I thought they were erased upon disconnecting it

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Whoa boy a lot of math and angle stuff LOL I think I will stick with Ground Speed. Thanks I will try to figure it out next time would be curious of the difference,
I was not aware that the logs wer saved so I have not. I thought they were erased upon disconnecting it

They might be erased. might be stored in a circular buffer (last ?? hrs of run time). you'll have to check manuals for that (did you get lucky and get one?).

That's the precise estimate, but if you're flying directly into/out of the wind, just add/subtract. The way I keep it straight, answer the question: If the wind weren't blowing, would the plane fly by me faster or slower. If faster, ground+wind = air, if slower ground-wind=air.

Fishbonez

They might be erased. might be stored in a circular buffer (last ?? hrs of run time). you'll have to check manuals for that (did you get lucky and get one?).
No not so lucky to get a manual searched the net and found nothing but a video of how to do basic operations

That's the precise estimate, but if you're flying directly into/out of the wind, just add/subtract. The way I keep it straight, answer the question: If the wind weren't blowing, would the plane fly by me faster or slower. If faster, ground+wind = air, if slower ground-wind=air.
Now thats something I can wrap my head around

Fishbonez

118? NICE!!!! What do you thing the stinger is doing?
Well went to find out this morning and the RC Gawds were not in my favor. After take off and a turn which was a warm up turn and a casual turn back into wind to begine speed runs I drove her into the ground. Not sure what happened nothing was unusual just suddenly went straight in straight down according the logger at 50 mph. She is toast for the moment and will have to work to repair it. So soon we will find out. For now I just enjoyed logging my other planes which was fun.