Volunteer Campers

jksbusiness

VW pulling a 4x7 teardrop camper

image.jpg

I will be camping in a 4x7 teardrop trailer, using a 10x10 canopy for shade. Trying to figure out how much water to bring. I have always stayed in a campground with showers and picnic tables. Suggestions?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I will be camping in a 4x7 teardrop trailer, using a 10x10 canopy for shade. Trying to figure out how much water to bring. I have always stayed in a campground with showers and picnic tables. Suggestions?

Nice Trailer :) I've got my wife half convinced that's the way to go, but I haven't convinced my checkbook of it at all . . . someday . . .

There will be showers and folding tables -- latest layout has the food vendors backed up on one side of the event tents, so that space is likely to become somewhat of a food court. Potable water is available in spots around the property, but seeing as it's Mr. Furey's personal supply, bringing your own is a sound plan.

jksbusiness

What a way to go!

It is the way to go Craftydan. I usually pull up to the campsite, pop up the 10x10 canopy, set up the kitchen tools and sit. Very simple evening activity.:D Time to pull out the guitar and sing a bit before bedtime.

Newtown

My step son and I plan to arrive late Wednesday afternoon or early evening with a 21 foot self contained Starcraft expandable travel trailer.

Jim Newtown

allenajs

A one man pop-tent that I can literally toss in the air to open it and then it floats to the ground.
And a Ford Expedition with all sorts of foamies stuffed into it. I have a 10x10 that I would like to toss up for a front row seat/view and staging area.

Where, in relation to where the main flight line and canopies will be and the other camping areas, will the volunteer camping be located? I don't really want to be way off away from my canopy and truck since everything lives in there.

Thanks!

Allen

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
A one man pop-tent that I can literally toss in the air to open it and then it floats to the ground.
And a Ford Expedition with all sorts of foamies stuffed into it. I have a 10x10 that I would like to toss up for a front row seat/view and staging area.

Where, in relation to where the main flight line and canopies will be and the other camping areas, will the volunteer camping be located? I don't really want to be way off away from my canopy and truck since everything lives in there.

Thanks!

Allen

It's all very much still up in flux -- some of it may stay that way into Thursday, but hopefully what's-where will lock down by Wednesday. Be prepared to be flexible :)

According to the latest map on the FTFF site, the camping areas are currently slated for the East half of the field, in a space roughly twice as deep as last year. lines of easy-ups run along the flight line, and those so fortunate will likely have tent camping right behind. Looks like the vendors are slated to be from the west side of the build tent to about the 1/4 strip point on the west side, and easy-ups will likely resume there and go to the end -- no word if camping will happen behind those or not.

Fred has been lobbying for the volunteer area will probably be near show center, but even that is not quite defined yet. Until that space is defined, it's hard to say how much of that space overlaps with the easy-up line -- there's a chance there will be, but even so, it will be limited. Camping in the volunteer area would naturally be voluntary for volunteers -- you don't *HAVE* to hang out with the cool kids ;)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I suggested we get the area in the soy field opposite from the registration tents. I'm not sure if that recommendation was taken up. Last I heard we were going to get 300' of the soy field for parking and camping, but I don't see that reflected on the map.

allenajs

I will probably keep a 10x10 to put over my tent and then keep a placeholder 10x10 on the flight line in case I get some flying time in.

Any idea yet how close the volunteer camping area will be to where the popups can be on the flightline?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Nothing concrete. I suggested that the Volunteer Camping area be across the driveway from where the registration tent was last year. This would provide a straight shot to the flight line in front of the hangar. Last year it was the area that had no pop ups along the line, but I can ask about some volunteer canopies being allowed to be put up there, after I arrive.

FlairFan

ditto!

I will probably keep a 10x10 to put over my tent and then keep a placeholder 10x10 on the flight line in case I get some flying time in.

Any idea yet how close the volunteer camping area will be to where the popups can be on the flightline?

That sounds almost exactly like my plan... I'll have a zip-up screen enclosure 'round one of mine, too.