Volunteer Food and Fellowship 2015

Denibqatlh

Not much for cooking, but I'm more than happy to contribute ingredients for the community pot. Hotdogs, hamburgers,.... Suggestions?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm hearing a lot of "I'm in" (I'll add to that chorus) but yet to hear an "I'll take the blame". Until we've got that this is doomed to failure.

So we got a bunch of cooks, anyone crazy enough/not-busy enough to take on the mantle of Chef?

Quackster

I butchered a pig last year and would be able to contribute something or other (chops/hams/sausages??) While I'm happy to help out, I'll let someone older and wiser take the mantle of Chef.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I'm pretty sure nobody is allowed to take the mantle of Chef from Flyingmonkey. You know, he's the one who does this all day long:

[bad moderator!]

*hides in a corner*

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm pretty sure nobody is allowed to take the mantle of Chef from Flyingmonkey. You know, he's the one who does this all day long:

Chief?

No. Not even joking with Monkey about that -- he'll do the most evil thing he can . . . give you the job.

Chef?

I'm not sure he wants that job . . . nor that we'd want to eat afterward ;)

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I think if we should start with equipment. I lean toward using electric cooking devices in particular my electric griddle. This would also mean generators to power said cooking devices as well as a folding table or two to cook on.
I would think these items would be far more important to procure than who is bringing the hotdogs and who is bringing the buns. Although we need these too you can always do a store run for them.
Anybody prepared to char bits of animal flesh without the use of an open flame?

allenajs

I think if we should start with equipment. I lean toward using electric cooking devices in particular my electric griddle. This would also mean generators to power said cooking devices as well as a folding table or two to cook on.
I would think these items would be far more important to procure than who is bringing the hotdogs and who is bringing the buns. Although we need these too you can always do a store run for them.
Anybody prepared to char bits of animal flesh without the use of an open flame?

I am seriously considering bringing my Turkey Frying burner but only to use it with smaller pans and griddles. Takes up very little room, heats up fast and if we did get folks to chip in food stuffs then it would make for a great, fast, community cooker. And when done cooking and eating, heat up some boiling water to share around for cleanup.

Just a thought. Or I will just eat yummy fried food all week! :)

Allen Schmidt
Fredericksburg, Virginia

earthsciteach

I'll have my coleman camp stove and multi use stove. There has been discussion of a make-shift bbq pit on site, as well.

earthsciteach

I'm crazy enough to take on the mantle of chef, but not for every daily meal. I'm more of a dinner kind of guy. I'd be more than happy to cook for folks and I'm pretty good at it. I work for beer.

Strix

I'll be bringing more than enough food for my wife and I, and people will be welcome to share in the extra... but I obviously won't be able to feed everyone, especially with our numbers approaching 100.

Equipment-wise, I will have a single-burner butane stove and large non-stick skillet. It's quite large and great for cooking breakfast and reheating things like taco or sloppy joe meat. A grill would be preferred for burgers and dogs.

SO... It would be nice to coordinate the use of a charcoal grill with someone so I don't have to use space in my small car to bring one down.

earthsciteach

Logistically, sharing is unrealistic at this point. However, I think that we can coordinate cooking appurtenances such that everyone is covered and there isn't a 4 hour wait to use said cooking things.

My thought was to buy a couple of wash tubs at the feed store in Malvern. This place looks awesome! Reminds me of the feed stores in Texas when I was a young lad. I can bring the grates from my fire pit. Set the tubs up on a couple of cinder blocks so as not to burn the grass (or maybe even dig into the ground if we are in the soybean field) and BAM! Instant BBQ/grill for public use! Just need firewood or charcoal. That is all readily available in town.

allenajs

appurtenances

Had to look that one up Patrick! Time to go home. I have learned my one thing for today!

100 volunteers? Wow. I was still under the impression they were still trying to reach the 50. Nice!
Of course that then complicates this thread. You're right....community-use appurtenances would work out better than a few trying to cook for everyone.

Just so long as I have somewhere to toss my steaks and lobster tails! ;) (that's code for bologna and cheese)

bgfireguy92

OK so I shouldve been more active on this forum , I LOVE TO COOK. Im bringing two stoves a metal fire pit with a cooking tripod and a propane grill. I have made a list of things the wife, kid and I want to try but very flexible.

OH I JUST HAD A GREAT THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am going to have a generator since we are tenting it. IF earthsciteach wants to do his tub grill Ill bring the electric rotisserie with spit and Ill even throw in the pork loin to roast over the fire.

So what night do we want to do this? Im thinking either friday or saturday night. I really REALLY love cooking for people and want to share with us that are volunteering.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
My new Honda EU200oi generator will be arriving tomorrow (according to UPS) and I will be bringing that, my electric griddle a couple of tables and the EZ-UP. I'm big on breakfast so I'm thinking eggs, pancakes and sausage! Now all I have to do is ditch this cough and chest congestion that I have had for over 2 weeks... :p

allenajs

The more I think about the logistics of long-range travel and food planning, the more I think I am going to go and just enjoy whatever bountiful harvest is presented. I am looking forward to volunteering and forcing myself out of my shell, and the planning of remote meals under uncertain conditions, etc. just does not appeal to me right now. Probably going to forget most of the toys and supplies I want to bring much less have to worry about food stuffs and whatnots.

I will, however, fully asses the community food and cooking situation and relate it all to the planning for next year....which starts July 13th. :) I too love to cook for big groups and will plan on contributing next year.

See ya next week!

Allen