Help! Vortex 150 single motor reversion

JFs743

Hi, I've been keeping my poor Vortex 150 (FT edition) in its box for over a year because at some point it stopped flying properly. It DID fly correctly and I DID NOT re solder the motor.

Today after testing the motors I realized that the problem was that the front-left motor was the only one spinning clockwise, all 3 other motors are spinning counter-clockwise, obviously the rear-right motor should also spin clockwise, but it doesn't!!!!

In BetaFlight, motors show up spinning in the correct direction

JFs743

Could I swap the positive and negative wires directly on the board? This would avoid removing the heat shrink from the ESC and it seems much easier to solder
MVIMG_20190902_182128.jpg

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Could I swap the positive and negative wires directly on the board? This would avoid removing the heat shrink from the ESC and it seems much easier to solder

No, that will kill your ESC. The DC side of the ESC is polarity sensitive. The output is 3 phase AC, swapping any 2 of the 3 reverses the direction.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
If you don’t want to disturb the ESC heat shrink you can just cut and swap the wire between the ESC and motor, just be sure to heat shrink the new joint properly so you don’t short out the motor.
It’s not hard to re heat shrink the ESC, or peel back the section over the connections enough to swap them then put a circle of heat shrink over just the exposed end. You can even use a bit of E tape for that.
The ESC connections are just pads like on the main board, no harder to solder.

JFs743

No, that will kill your ESC.
Thanks for letting me know! That could have been bad...
I tried to use blheli yesterday, but couldn't figure out which version I needed or what to do to get it to read my ESCs.

One thing I know for sure is I never did that. How in the world could it have been reversed? Is there a simpler way to get it back to factory settings?

FDS

Elite member
Swapping the wires is the simplest way to do it, I always do that instead of BL heli. It takes me a day at least to work out new software, moving two wires on a couple of ESC’s takes a minute or so each!
No idea how you could have swapped it in storage or use.
Wire changes are also easier to switch back if you find another cause for it vs potentially bricking the ESC or trying to remember all the original esc settings.