Vought XF5U - 3D Printed Version

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I really wanted to have a Giant Flapjack at FF last year, and hoped to have one this year, but ran out of time. This is the next best thing.

U4r1unQ.png

I plan for this plane to be primarily constructed from PETG, but the option is there to use carbon fiber impregnated filaments. Even the stuff that doesn't take to glue well. If I can print this thing with something light enough, it should be possible to sand it up, then fiberglass it and still come out okish on wing loading.

Some quick specs:

Wingspan (body): 33.45 in 850 mm
Wingspan (Tailerons: 46.46 in 1180 mm
Wing Area: 992 sq. in. 64 dm2
Estimated Print Weight: 2.7kg (Very Early Estimate, hopefully I can get this down some)
Estimated AUW: 4.8kg
Wing loading: 24.6 oz. / sq. ft. 75 g / dm2
WCL: 9.2

The AUW includes some 3520-6 720kv motors, and two 4500mah 4s batteries, servos, carbon fiber, ESC's, landing gear, wire, and some buffer. The wing loading is actually a bit better than the Northern Pike.

arYSr5C.png

9dArvFg.png

4t8FGhY.png

a71bwKF.png

vZHPg9l.png

I'm working on this thing as fast as I can. Hopefully I'll be able to take one with me to Flite Fest in Ohio in a couple weeks. We'll see how fast I can finish things up. Progress is decent, all of this stuff is printed, or printing. Just got to finish the landing gear, and the lightening holes for the rest of the plane.

Printable Parts.png

b-29er

dude...if you keep this up, i'm going to need to get a better 3d printer to start making these. That looks awesome!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
dude...if you keep this up, i'm going to need to get a better 3d printer to start making these. That looks awesome!

Thanks man. As for the printer, do it. :D. Just too much cool stuff you can make.

Trying to get curves like this done in foamboard is possible, but it's not easy. Modeling the 3D printed version has taken me a lot less time the the DTF variant.

20190629_121039.jpg

20190629_121050.jpg

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Got the fixed landing gear, and most of the associated internal structure done. Now I just need to work out a tail wheel, get a set of spinners drawn up for the intakes, and I'll be very close to done with the interesting CAD stuff. All that will be left are tedious lightening holes and adjustments.

XF5U Flying Flapjack v56.png

XF5U Flying Flapjack v56-2.png

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I really can't wait to see this one. Definitely let me know when you're taking her up. I want to be there with the camera. The lines on this are so great. Makes me wonder if my print bed is large enough for one...

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I really can't wait to see this one. Definitely let me know when you're taking her up. I want to be there with the camera. The lines on this are so great. Makes me wonder if my print bed is large enough for one...

Will do. Video would be great. I've been pretty terrible at documenting flights at FF.

Should all print on a 200x200x200mm print area, which is pretty standard. You could also shrink it by 25% and use a 0.3mm nozzle.

Horseman3381

This is so cool!

If you are looking for someone to help you beta the print let me know.

If you come up with a designated time you are going to fly this at FF please post it. I would love to see this thing fly. I can help get video if you would like.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
This is so cool!

If you are looking for someone to help you beta the print let me know.

If you come up with a designated time you are going to fly this at FF please post it. I would love to see this thing fly. I can help get video if you would like.

No set time for when this will fly. All depends on how fast the assembly is, and how distracted I am by other builds. Got some other people I've promised to help out. Won't be the first day for certain.

Should be able to find me, this thing won't be too hard to spot. :D

I'll keep you in mind if I need beta testers after FF.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I saw this fly at FFO'19. It looked soooo good. If you can print it do it. It looks great, and worth the print even as a static mod. @localfiend , Was that you I met? I caught the pilot bring it back after a hard landing & Some repairs.

CapnBry

Elite member
Your projects are the best, localfiend; never a dull design and this is no exception. If I tried this it would immediately turn into a 5kg deathmachine that would do a 180 on launch and fly directly into my face. Sorry I missed seeing it fly at FF and look forward to a video!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I saw this fly at FFO'19. It looked soooo good. If you can print it do it. It looks great, and worth the print even as a static mod. @localfiend , Was that you I met? I caught the pilot bring it back after a hard landing & Some repairs.

Yep, that was me carrying it back to camp. Didn't have all the carbon spars in it (plastic expanded some in the heat and humidity), so the landing gear was weak. Might not have mattered since I clipped the edge of the plastic runway.

Your projects are the best, localfiend; never a dull design and this is no exception. If I tried this it would immediately turn into a 5kg deathmachine that would do a 180 on launch and fly directly into my face. Sorry I missed seeing it fly at FF and look forward to a video!

Thanks. And it is a bit of a death machine. :D. 380 gram motors and 20" props. Had 26lbs of thrust on tap lol. You woulda been fine though. Takeoff is easy, just hit throttle and don't touch anything else. :D

Flies great at speed. I think a flight stabilizer will be needed for slow landings. And of course, the next version will be getting retracts.

Here's the maiden flight: