Vought XF5U - 3D Printed Version

JTarmstr

Elite member
Yep, that was me carrying it back to camp. Didn't have all the carbon spars in it (plastic expanded some in the heat and humidity), so the landing gear was weak. Might not have mattered since I clipped the edge of the plastic runway.

Thanks. And it is a bit of a death machine. :D. 380 gram motors and 20" props. Had 26lbs of thrust on tap lol. You woulda been fine though. Takeoff is easy, just hit throttle and don't touch anything else. :D

Flies great at speed. I think a flight stabilizer will be needed for slow landings. And of course, the next version will be getting retracts.

Here's the maiden flight:

Wow, that looks awesome! also is there a auction going on in the background.

CapnBry

Elite member
And of course, the next version will be getting retracts.
Looks like it made its own retracts on landing! :D It flies so much better than I'd expect it would looking at the shape... which looks a lot like Gamera flying except backward.
s-l500.jpg

Boberticus

ok so, in the other thread, you said you ran this with the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5055-430KV, and that you had two 4s batteries... those motors are 5s-8s, did you run those in series for 8s? or did they run on the lower voltage, a battery apeice?

just, wow man. what a beast.

literally like 4.5 horsepower flying around.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Looks like it made its own retracts on landing! :D It flies so much better than I'd expect it would looking at the shape... which looks a lot like Gamera flying except backward.
View attachment 136191

Hah, that would be hilarious to see flying.

ok so, in the other thread, you said you ran this with the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5055-430KV, and that you had two 4s batteries... those motors are 5s-8s, did you run those in series for 8s? or did they run on the lower voltage, a battery apeice?

just, wow man. what a beast.

literally like 4.5 horsepower flying around.

One battery per motor. Motors don't care so much what voltage your batteries are unless you exceed the wattage it can adequately cool, or if you exceed the rpm's the bearings are rated for.