Wingspan:
Center of Gravity:
Control Surface Throws:
Expo Suggestions:

Free Plans: VP SideWinder Plans

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Ok plans are converted to 6mm foam, printed and taped together :). I did a couple mods and sort of did like the Baron and the fuse is just straight back and not tapered in to allow for elevator servo underneath plus some guys mount an extra servo in there that works as a release for the streamer. They roll the streamer up and there is a bbg skewer ran though with an elastic band attached that holds the streamer in and is looped over the servo arm, once up and flying they then release the streamer. Also full doublers front to back and the elevator I took out the V in it so I can mount the control horn in the center underneath. Attached is the pdf file and also a stl file for the motor mount which you can either use the X mount or mount with your 16x19mm bolt pattern from the inside.
I plan on cutting out the foam pieces then tracing onto coroplast :) Once all together I may have to trim the rudder slightly to clear the elevator.

2019_1120_082949_001.JPG

Attachments

• Sidewinder Motor Mount.stl
    169.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Venom Sidewinder Combat 6mm Foam Format.pdf
    680.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well the coroplast VP Sidewinder is mostly together. What a pain cutting this stuff and I sure hope it is bullet proof because it is heavy, it should be like a flying bulldozer :D . Scaled all the coroplast versus the foam parts, coro weighed in at 14 oz and foam at 5 oz.
2019_1121_154212_001.JPG
2019_1121_154223_002.JPG
2019_1121_154243_003.JPG
2019_1121_154252_004.JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Really interested how that coroplast version works out @Wildthing .... could be an excellent combat ship from a durability perspective... and I do have a sheet of coroplast around the workshop somewhere.... :unsure:

Wildthing

Legendary member
getting there on these two planes, the coroplast one is being difficult it is very tail heavy. I have removed the coro vertical and replaced with a foam one a savings of almost 20gr, also replaced the rear bottom plate for foam. I have a heavier motor up front now also to help out ( heck more power too :D ) . At this point it took a 2200 4S battery to get it not bad, my next thought was to extend the nose an inch or two but then I would lose all the strength being spliced in so now I moved the main wing back 1/2" . Now I can get a 2200 3S in it for balance and have the option of 4S if needed.

Sorry no raster skin or fancy paint job, life expectancy is short so keep it simple :)

2019_1124_100444_002.JPG
2019_1124_100449_003.JPG
2019_1124_100454_004.JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Going to be an interesting flyer in coroplast! Curious if you will be able to feel a difference with the short coupling that results from the wing going back - or if it will be balanced by the motor thrust being put so far ahead of the CG. :unsure:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Going to be an interesting flyer in coroplast! Curious if you will be able to feel a difference with the short coupling that results from the wing going back - or if it will be balanced by the motor thrust being put so far ahead of the CG. :unsure:

We will see, all I need to do now is round up a couple rx's so I can go test both of them.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Found it @Wildthing. Hey quick question and don't laugh if it's a stupid one...

What's the deal with 2 balance points in the plans? I have seen this on the Spear as well, just wondering

Wildthing

Legendary member
Found it @Wildthing. Hey quick question and don't laugh if it's a stupid one...

What's the deal with 2 balance points in the plans? I have seen this on the Spear as well, just wondering

I am gathering that is your range , no cg mark is perfect but is a good starting point and also depending what you or how you want to fly the plane. But the guy to ask would be @SP0NZ

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
working on my version. i think it will be called the desert viper. :unsure:

20191122_101629.jpg

20191122_103707.jpg

this is just a mock up at this point. the motor isn't mounted, the wing isn't glued on, the servos have no connecting wire, and the paint/decal job isn't finished yet.

laters,

me :cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well hell or highwater they have both been maidened, looks like there are 2 more combat planes for the squadron. :)
Cold, 30k winds, rain and snow what better conditions to maiden in :)

Hard to tell in the wind but I think I need to angle the motors down 4 degrees or so, slight zoom to them.

I did learn 4 things don't go together
Coro
Hot Glue
Cold Weather
and a thump :D :D
come right apart with ease :D :D , read somewhere somebody said use RTV silicone :)