VP SideWinder

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am starting at 55mm back from the LE which is very close to the rear mark and almost the same as the Baron, the front mark seems just to far ahead .
I am doing the Bloody Baron right now, and it has just the one balance point and with the power pod in with the motor and prop installed but no servos It sits nose heavy to the point where it just wants to fall off my fingers. The battery in the pod sits back of the CG, probably 4-5 inches from the firewall to balance the plane as is. Servo placement will help nudge it forward some but not much.

I am thinking that if there was two CG marks the second set would be a 1/2" forward of the marked ones to make it more nose heavy to balance for a more aggressive penetration in the air, Is that correct?

Wildthing

Legendary member
I am doing the Bloody Baron right now, and it has just the one balance point and with the power pod in with the motor and prop installed but no servos It sits nose heavy to the point where it just wants to fall off my fingers. The battery in the pod sits back of the CG, probably 4-5 inches from the firewall to balance the plane as is. Servo placement will help nudge it forward some but not much.

I am thinking that if there was two CG marks the second set would be a 1/2" forward of the marked ones to make it more nose heavy to balance for a more aggressive penetration in the air, Is that correct?
I took a quick measurement off of one of my Baron's and it is very close to 55mm back and I believe that is the stock placement. I know they do fly great even nose heavy, it really helps cutting through the wind plus compensates for when I am dragging a streamer. Just measured on the Sidewinder plans and the rear one is 58mm back and that is where I basically balanced mine.

Now with the 2 quick maidens the coro plane sat level balancing and the foam was nose heavy and probably nose was down at a 10 degree angle. Both flew great. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well hell or highwater they have both been maidened, looks like there are 2 more combat planes for the squadron. :)
Cold, 30k winds, rain and snow what better conditions to maiden in :)

Hard to tell in the wind but I think I need to angle the motors down 4 degrees or so, slight zoom to them.

I did learn 4 things don't go together
Coro
Hot Glue
Cold Weather
and a thump :D:D
come right apart with ease :D:D , read somewhere somebody said use RTV silicone :)

I thought the wind took it off the runway in the end of the second vid lol. Nasty weather you are having in Sask, we have blue skies and some breeze here right now, we had your storm earlier today but it has cleared up. seems to be heading your way

Wildthing

Legendary member
I thought the wind took it off the runway in the end of the second vid lol. Nasty weather you are having in Sask, we have blue skies and some breeze here right now, we had your storm earlier today but it has cleared up. seems to be heading your way
This crap just rolled in today coming in from the north, yesterday was 12C :)

The plane came in fast and I was landing with a side wind and the second time it lifted slightly I powered up and the wind turned me. it was getting far away and I didn't want to walk that far so I was going to bring it around again,I should have just landed and made the walk

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i would assume the 2 CG marks are due to the fact that it can be flown off 3 diff motor packs, and significantly diff props w/ significantly diff thrust characteristics depending upon your wants. :unsure:

i'm gonna go mid pack with motor, prop, and CG. i'm gonna strap a FPV camera to the tail and have as much low level, twisty fun as possible. just like a snake. :LOL:

laters,

me :cool:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
i would assume the 2 CG marks are due to the fact that it can be flown off 3 diff motor packs, and significantly diff props w/ significantly diff thrust characteristics depending upon your wants. :unsure:

i'm gonna go mid pack with motor, prop, and CG. i'm gonna strap a FPV camera to the tail and have as much low level, twisty fun as possible. just like a snake. :LOL:

laters,

me :cool:
Makes sense, I might go off the front marks and see what happens. I know on the Spear I went off the back marks and that turned out to be bad voodoo :mad:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Found it @Wildthing. Hey quick question and don't laugh if it's a stupid one...

What's the deal with 2 balance points in the plans? I have seen this on the Spear as well, just wondering

I'm basically giving you a CG range to work with here. People have different flying styles and different comfort levels for how they like there planes balanced. For the maiden (or newer pilots) use the most forward CG location (slightly nose heavy). After you get the plane trimmed out and flying well, start shifting your CG aft to get the balance you want for your desired flying style.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm basically giving you a CG range to work with here. People have different flying styles and different comfort levels for how they like there planes balanced. For the maiden (or newer pilots) use the most forward CG location (slightly nose heavy). After you get the plane trimmed out and flying well, start shifting your CG aft to get the balance you want for your desired flying style.
Oh ok cool, thanks for the tip. I thought it would be the other way around but that's good to know. I appreciate it.

Just built your Baron actually, waiting on servos but I am excited to get it in the air. Great design

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So to get the hot glue off I sat the wing and fuse outside in the cold, the glue was like ice and brittle and I used a wood chisel to knock it off :D:D
Yea I guess with coroplast as opposed to paper there is nothing for it to grab into, just sits on top really. Good to know. Gotta love Canadian winters huh :LOL:

Wildthing

Legendary member
What is RTV silicone, what does it look like, can you show a pic
more of a automotive silicone that can handle the harsher temps. I am going to first try just the cheap DAP indoor / outdoor silicone and see how it does. I think I might drill a few holes and zip tie the wing and horizontal to the fuse :) .

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
more of a automotive silicone that can handle the harsher temps. I am going to first try just the cheap DAP indoor / outdoor silicone and see how it does. I think I might drill a few holes and zip tie the wing and horizontal to the fuse :) .
The zip tie tip is a good one, also holds the piece in place while the silicone hardens. Or are you using the zip ties instead of adhesive for ease of repairs?

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well the coro (Dozer) is almost back together , just going to drill some holes for zip ties to lock everything down . Did add a little Sponz to them both for contrast :) . Also printed off a bunch of vortex generators , ( I call them streamer catchers :D ) so all combats will get them .
2019_1126_084810_001.JPG
2019_1126_084835_002.JPG

chris398mx

Master member
Well the coro (Dozer) is almost back together , just going to drill some holes for zip ties to lock everything down . Did add a little Sponz to them both for contrast :) . Also printed off a bunch of vortex generators , ( I call them streamer catchers :D ) so all combats will get them . View attachment 149178 View attachment 149179
If I had known you were going to use these vortex generators for evil, I would have never shared them with you! :p:)