VP SideWinder

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
For those of you who have built one already...make sure you enter it in the contest for a chance to win some cool Venom gear.

We are very excited to announce the Venom Power VP Sidewinder Build Off!!!
If you are a scratch builder or aspire to be one, this is the contest for you. The build submissions that receive the most votes win, so let your imagination run wild. That's right we said submissions. For this build off we have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes.
Not into scratch building, thats okay. Spectators can participate too. Just follow along and vote for your favorite build submission.
Visit the Build Off Pre-Start Page for details about the build off and links to VP Sidewinder plans and building instructions:
Please note, the build off will go live on Friday, November 22nd at 10:00 AM Pacific Time. You can enter your build anytime between then and 10:00 AM Pacific Time on Wednesday, January 22nd. Please help spread the word.
Good luck and happy building everybody.
Thanks again to Dan Sponholz for making the VP Sidewinder a reality.

For those of you who have not built one yet...you still have 2 weeks to build one and enter. What are you waiting for?

Figure9

Elite member
I love this! I modified a Bloody Baron & it ended up a bit the same as the Sidewinder. (Sorta)
I used 2 aileron servos, reshaped the tail & tapered the wing.
The A10 download (first one on the list) looks to have all the prints in a tiled format that I need to build the Sidewinder. Just can’t have too many of this design, but a fleet of 4 to 6 airframes on the shelf would be nice. All with different mods to experiment with different airfoils, fuselage shapes & control surface shapes, etc. What I like most about this design is it provides a good medium for progress beyond entry level to advanced skills. Someday ..... Combat !!!

FE18740A-2A8D-4F60-BB7C-31B279922DFB.jpeg

Wildthing

Legendary member
I love this! I modified a Bloody Baron & it ended up a bit the same as the Sidewinder. (Sorta)
I used 2 aileron servos, reshaped the tail & tapered the wing.
The A10 download (first one on the list) looks to have all the prints in a tiled format that I need to build the Sidewinder. Just can’t have too many of this design, but a fleet of 4 to 6 airframes on the shelf would be nice. All with different mods to experiment with different airfoils, fuselage shapes & control surface shapes, etc. What I like most about this design is it provides a good medium for progress beyond entry level to advanced skills. Someday ..... Combat !!!

View attachment 161708

Looks great, well done.

Figure9

Elite member
Looks great, well done.

Thanks, these plans look about right for my current building skill. I’m thinking to relieve the fuselage to accept a thin symmetrical wing fold, as I haven’t tried to fold a symmetrical wing yet. How could I have joined this forum middle of January & only just now found this resource section. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks, these plans look about right for my current building skill. I’m thinking to relieve the fuselage to accept a thin symmetrical wing fold, as I haven’t tried to fold a symmetrical wing yet. How could I have joined this forum middle of January & only just now found this resource section. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
That's the great thing about this FB, you don't have to fold a symmetrical wing. You could do a KFm wing style that is layered symmetrically. Did it on my last Scout.
20200222_203553.jpg

I put in a bit of a CF spar in the middle layer, which is full wing shape, this one minus the ailerons, and the spar because I cut a cavity into it to make room for the power pod.
20200223_034441.jpg
Here you can see how I have the same layer on top that I have on the bottom. This would be sweet on a combat plane like the Baron or sidewinder. They would fly awesome. And just being the KFm layered wing they can be more resistant to crashes. My next combat plane is going KFm.Definitelyywould like to see what you come up with. I have an article in a thread on KFm wings if you would like some reading material, here is a link

Figure9

Elite member
That's the great thing about this FB, you don't have to fold a symmetrical wing. You could do a KFm wing style that is layered symmetrically. Did it on my last Scout. View attachment 161799

I put in a bit of a CF spar in the middle layer, which is full wing shape, this one minus the ailerons, and the spar because I cut a cavity into it to make room for the power pod. View attachment 161800 Here you can see how I have the same layer on top that I have on the bottom. This would be sweet on a combat plane like the Baron or sidewinder. They would fly awesome. And just being the KFm layered wing they can be more resistant to crashes. My next combat plane is going KFm.Definitelyywould like to see what you come up with. I have an article in a thread on KFm wings if you would like some reading material, here is a link

Thanks @BATTLEAXE This wing design works for me. I think it would be easy to rubberband it onto the Bloody Baron or Sidewinder fuselage. What’s the aileron servo & servo wiring method you’d use? I’m thinking single servo like the FT Bloody Baron For simplicity, 2 aileron servos would require planning ahead to install the servos & wiring internally before making the fold.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks @BATTLEAXE This wing design works for me. I think it would be easy to rubberband it onto the Bloody Baron or Sidewinder fuselage. What’s the aileron servo & servo wiring method you’d use? I’m thinking single servo like the FT Bloody Baron For simplicity, 2 aileron servos would require planning ahead to install the servos & wiring internally before making the fold.
The 1 servo thing is a brilliant idea for a combat plane because, well it's a combat plane. With the Scout I did do the 2 servo deal and stuck them into the fuse just under the wing, close to the wing root. Control horns would be on the inside of the aileron as well.

I have also done the 2 servo deal in the KFm on a flying wing, the Dominator, and yes there is a little bit of planning there

Keno

For those of you who have built one already...make sure you enter it in the contest for a chance to win some cool Venom gear.

We are very excited to announce the Venom Power VP Sidewinder Build Off!!!
If you are a scratch builder or aspire to be one, this is the contest for you. The build submissions that receive the most votes win, so let your imagination run wild. That's right we said submissions. For this build off we have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes.
Not into scratch building, thats okay. Spectators can participate too. Just follow along and vote for your favorite build submission.
Visit the Build Off Pre-Start Page for details about the build off and links to VP Sidewinder plans and building instructions:
Please note, the build off will go live on Friday, November 22nd at 10:00 AM Pacific Time. You can enter your build anytime between then and 10:00 AM Pacific Time on Wednesday, January 22nd. Please help spread the word.
Good luck and happy building everybody.
Thanks again to Dan Sponholz for making the VP Sidewinder a reality.

For those of you who have not built one yet...you still have 2 weeks to build one and enter. What are you waiting for?

Well would like to but have to many cut out and build as we are having our annual "Wonbat Combat" fly and have to get them ready for this event. Tks for a great plane, quick to build and fly. I am the safety officer so metal helmets will be recommend. No, you can't fly over the pits,
"You're Grounded" Have a great day, love combat.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Well would like to but have to many cut out and build as we are having our annual "Wonbat Combat" fly and have to get them ready for this event. Tks for a great plane, quick to build and fly. I am the safety officer so metal helmets will be recommend. No, you can't fly over the pits,
"You're Grounded" Have a great day, love combat.

Please share some pictures of the event!