Vultee XP-54 Swoose Goose

vhandon

I ran across a video of the Swoose Goose a few months ago and thought “Hey, that would make a cool FT build.” Then I thought “You haven’t built an FT plane in years, and you have never made plans for one.” I was learning to design parts in onshape so I told myself “Take a hike, we’re doing this thing!”

Vultee XP-54 - Wikipedia

XP54_Swoose_Goose.jpg

Anyway, here it is.
Plans

I hope I captured the spirit of new and old FT design elements, there are boxy fuselages, some curvy parts on the wings along with some sandwiched spars and booms. The plane builds easier that I thought it would and flies even better. Rudders are indicated on the plans, but I did not cut them on the prototype. I liked the way it flies without them enough to say they are highly optional. Hopefully the included pictures are enough to get anyone through a successful build.

Specifications:
  • Wingspan: 42”
  • Length: 40”
  • Flying weight: 22 oz
  • Electronics: C-Pack
  • Battery: 2200 mAh 3S LiPo
  • 4 sheets of FT or DT Foam Board
Maiden:
2nd Flight:

A few build notes:
  • The wing top skins and the spars will cut a little large from the plans so expect some slight trimming to make them fit perfectly.
  • I ran servo wires on the outside of the wings but there is plenty of room inside the wings to route them.
  • There is a wide range of weight distribution to allow for elevator and rudder servos to be installed at the tail if desired.
GOPR0234.JPG GOPR0235.JPG GOPR0236.JPG GOPR0237.JPG GOPR0238.JPG GOPR0239.JPG GOPR0240.JPG GOPR0241.JPG GOPR0242.JPG GOPR0245.JPG GOPR0246.JPG GOPR0247.JPG