Walmart $10 Glider RC Conversation

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Sorry I'm late to the party here. I converted a walmart glider to an unpowered tow up / hi-start glider a few years ago. It has elevator / rudder controls and runs off a tiny 2 cell battery. That is a lot of fun, but it's time to add Motors!

Question for you guys that are mounting your motors to the wings: Are you gluing the wings in, or otherwise affixing them to the fuselage, or just relying on the friction fit to keep them in place.

I just finished printing a couple of DanAllen's motor pods (modified for a 1306 motor), and I'm worried that the thrust will just pull the wings out of the fuse.
No way the wings will get pulled out… I went ahead and ran a drywall screw through the wing root but not really necessary

Piotrsko

Master member
If they arent stiff enough to stay put flying you have other problems, but I like the drywall screw fix. I use string tape on the underside all accross the bottom of both wings, but I tend to use sewage words putting that together. You could put a blob of epoxy or hot melt glue in the mounting holes

kilroy07

Legendary member
Question for you guys that are mounting your motors to the wings: Are you gluing the wings in, or otherwise affixing them to the fuselage, or just relying on the friction fit to keep them in place.

Even a bamboo skewer up from the bottom (at the tail end of the wing root) will be more than enough to hold the wings on if you are worried... Although, there is something to be said if the wings can just come loose in a "crash" rather than be fixed and potentially break.

XDmToter

I never crash except for unintended high speed contacts with dirt and poles and wires. For example there's a limit how close you can get a T-tail to the ground while flying inverted

Don't you hate it when the Earth reaches up and smacks your plane out of the sky? Or when you're just flying along, minding your own business, and a tree jumps out in front of you? You would think the trees would be happy we're building from foam instead of cutting down balsa trees, but no. They are more vengeful than ever. :LOL:

Seriously, though; Thanks to everyone for the input. My concerns are probably exaggerated.

NoCG

For the 48" foam gliders (from walmart / target) what is the smallest motor / prop config I can use on 2s lipo and still get this in the air for slow flight?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
For the 48" foam gliders (from walmart / target) what is the smallest motor / prop config I can use on 2s lipo and still get this in the air for slow flight?
They don't take much if you keep them light, might even get away with something as small as 1306-ish for slow flight.