Want to get into FPV... and feeling overwhelmed

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It only takes 7.4? There is no range on their Tx's? Most of the video Tx's I've seen can handle from 12+ to around 6v...I don't have Fatsharks though but most are capable of 2S to 3S...

RoyBro

Mentor
The camera and TX take 7.4V. I can carry an extra 3S battery if I have to, but I am really trying to save weight. Any thoughts anybody? Anyone else in the same boat with a solution?

ibcrazy told me how easy it was to make your own voltage regulator. The one in the picture will take up to +35v input and output +5v. All you have to do is to get a 12v voltage regulator. I used a 7905 regulator, but a 7812 is what you would need. The capacitors are just to smooth out the power. I used .1 uF but you can go bigger is you want to smooth it more. All I have to do now is solder on some connectors.

Voltage Regulator copy.png

Your solution doesn't have to be fancy or expensive.

Edit:
Just noticed that 7.4V would be closer to a 2 cell battery. A few more questions:

1) I found a thread from someone else that used this UBEC that steps down to 7.2V: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17160 Would that be OK to use or should I try to get something that can go to 7.4V?

2) I do have some small 2S batteries from my UMX planes. The biggest battery that i have is a 240mah. Would that be enough to power the TX or would I need to put them in series?

Sorry for all my questions...

RoyBro

Mentor
I'll answer question 2 first. It will power the tx, but the question is for how long. Putting two or more in series is NOT the answer as you will be increasing the voltage. You would want to wire two or more batteries in parallel to keep the same voltage and increase the mAh.

The ubec you found on Hobby King would probably do the trick for you. But FYI the transmitter can take from 7v up to 13v according to the Fatshark's Datasheet.

Ok I got my FatSharks today. Yes!

Question for y'alls. The manual says to only use 2S or 3S but my TX has a plug for a 4S balance lead too. I'm scared to hook my 4S up and don't want the magic smoke on my brand new Fatsharks.

Do you think the 4S connector is only connected to 2 of the 4 cells? Here is a picture:
image2_zpsa7e802fb.jpeg

I read the manual and it didn't say anything about using the 4S batteries.

RoyBro

Mentor
There is one way to find out without endangering your transmitter. Plug in the 4s, and measure the voltage. If it is 11 volts or less, you're good to go.

Of course you don't want to have the transmitter plugged in until you have checked.

Last edited:

lancebbowman

I've ordered my Fat Sharks Predators V2 and I was wondering if you could slave another set of goggles to take someone on a ride with you. How would I go about this?

Thanks!

RoyBro

Mentor
It wouldn't really be "slaving". but I imagine that if you have two sets of FatSharks receiving on the same frequency they should see the same thing.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
As Roy said, no need to "slave" anything.

What you have with FPV is an amateur television station. It doesn't matter how many goggles you're using, as long as they're all set up on the same channel. They can all watch what you're broadcasting.

ANYONE can, that's within range.