Want to get my dad into multirotors, a good starter?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
My dad really likes the idea of doing aerial videotography from a quadcopter. I was thinking about getting him a frame for his birthday, but don't know what to get. He eventually wants to do FPV and carry a DSLR but to start out I thought maybe a TBS discovery or an H-quad since he will probably crash it. For the control board I was looking into something auto-leveling, any ideas?
Thanks guys!
~Benn

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
is he proficient with flying ? flying multi-rotors ? if not i would suggest you give him a ladybug AND a H-quad.

get training on the ladybug then move on to the H quad; from that point he will be able to choose the better option for him :D

nice gift !!!!!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
He was in the airforce for 20 years but was never a pilot. I think understanding aircraft will help him a bit, but no, he has not flown anything yet. I think I may go with the ladybug. I'll repaint it for him though :D

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
carbon....I am 50 and have now got my first quad up and running I dont know how old your pa is but if i can do so can he. The biggest problem i find is orientation and reckon a tri copter is probably easier to manage and if set up right is a great camera platform

Carbon

Elemental Madness
perfect, I was actually thinking tricopter. He is 46 right now. I guess I'll start ordering!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
More a Blade MQX for 1/4 the price. I have heard that 99% of the parts are interchangable.

Thurmond

biggles

My dad really likes the idea of doing aerial videotography from a quadcopter. I was thinking about getting him a frame for his birthday, but don't know what to get. He eventually wants to do FPV and carry a DSLR but to start out I thought maybe a TBS discovery or an H-quad since he will probably crash it. For the control board I was looking into something auto-leveling, any ideas?
Thanks guys!
~Benn
Tell him to have a look at this he may find it useful http://www.rcplanes4beginners.co.uk/multirotors.php