Want to start with rc airplanes.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.
I would recommend you not start with a 3D printed plane. 3D printed planes tend to be on the heavy side and are far more fragile than foam board planes. I would recommend you start with the Tinny Trainer. While learning to fly you will crash a lot, I know I did. Heavy planes need to fly faster, giving you less time to react before they hit the ground. The TT is designed to fly slowly and to withstand an impact with the ground.

After you learn to fly, take the motor & other electronics out of the TT and put them in the 3D printed plane of your choice.

slakkie2000

Welcome to the forums.
I would recommend you not start with a 3D printed plane. 3D printed planes tend to be on the heavy side and are far more fragile than foam board planes. I would recommend you start with the Tinny Trainer. While learning to fly you will crash a lot, I know I did. Heavy planes need to fly faster, giving you less time to react before they hit the ground. The TT is designed to fly slowly and to withstand an impact with the ground.

After you learn to fly, take the motor & other electronics out of the TT and put them in the 3D printed plane of your choice.

Thanks for the response, I will definitely look at the TT. Do you have any controller recommendations?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
..... Do you have any controller recommendations?
Everyone has their favorite brand of controller, kind of like brands of cars. They can give you lots of reasons why theirs is the best. The truth is, they all work equally well. It's just a matter of which one you have become accustom to using.

Here is a good place to start. Lots of good information, but the prices are a bit out of date. Which Transmitter You Should Buy... | FliteTest Forum

I will say DO NOT buy the entry level Spektrum Tx, the DXS. Spectrum has lots of good stuff but this one is a ripoff. It has no model memory & you need a computer to change almost all of the settings. It is a piece of junk, for the same price, you can get a far more capable setup.

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
if your trying to get started cheap, I have a link in my signature to 'almost as cheap as possible' supply list for getting started and were you could save some money by doing things differently.

If your sure your going to want to stick with the hobby, 2 things that I would consider upgrading from that list is the charger (definitely) and consider a different TX, Merv has a nice link above.

Regarding TXes - I have 2 spektrum and an Radio Master [OpenTx] transmitters, cost to value was much better on the radio master, however the learning curve on the OpenTX system is much higher as it basically lets you setup any mixes/etc you want... which is great if you need something complicated, but harder if you want something that a TX like spektrum has a setting for. I haven't had the Radio master long enough to argue radio link quality (nor done any testing, so I won't give an opinion on that).

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thanks for the response, I will definitely look at the TT. Do you have any controller recommendations?

The answer you're likely going to get from a lot of people is "the cheap one".

These are the things to consider:

How many models can you store - The cheapest transmitters will hold one, maybe 10. More expensive ones can store 250.

Ergonomics - What feels best in your hands? Can you reach the switches and hit them comfortably for flying, or are you having to do a weird stretch to hit that switch at the top left?

Support - Is it something that's difficult to set up a model? Do you need to read a manual translated from Chinese to English by someone whose native language is not English in order to program it?

Features - does it have features you want? Maybe you want a radio that calls out how many minutes you have left, so you're not having to look down at the radio, or diversity antennas for a better signal. Those things are features that you're going to pay for if you want them.

Don't buy the cheapest thing you can; you'll end up regretting it.

sprzout

Mentor
Everyone has their favorite brand of controller, kind of like brands of cars. They can give you lots of reasons why theirs is the best. The truth is, they all work equally well. It's just a matter of which one you have become accustom to using.

Here is a good place to start. Lots of good information, but the prices are a bit out of date. Which Transmitter You Should Buy... | FliteTest Forum

I will say DO NOT buy the entry level Spektrum Tx, the DXS. Spectrum has lots of good stuff but this one is a ripoff. It has no model memory & you need a computer to change almost all of the settings. It is a piece of junk, for the same price, you can get a far more capable setup.

Agreed on this. I will tell you that, in my area, pretty much everyone flies Spektrum. It has its pros and cons, just like everything else out there, but the big thing for us is that we have people we can fall back on and ask questions about when it comes to setup. I can turn to the guys at the field and say, "Hey, do you know how to set up a mix for flaps, or rudder/aileron?" and I'll get 5 guys reaching for their transmitters to go, "Yeah, lemme show you..."

The two guys at our field that fly with FlySky, we don't know it and they have to refer to YouTube for everything (and half the time they don't get it set up quite right).

Does that mean that FlySky is junk? No. It just means the local support isn't there for it. We're comfortable with one thing, and it's a rock solid system for the price. Other people will tell you it's junk, they're ripping you off for the price, but I honestly think it's a matter of opinion and chalk it up like Apple vs. Android phones - they both do the same basic function, but one may be better for one person than another. PICK WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU. Let me repeat that, because it bears repeating - PICK WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU.

I will say that you want to be careful what systems you pick, as many are not compatible with another, so do your research before you jump in and you'll find something that will last you for years (or, in some cases with some of the guys at my flying field, DECADES).

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
......It just means the local support isn't there for it.......
Totally agree. Local support is huge.

My recommendation to @slakkie2000, If you live in an area with a local flying club, join it. Ask around among the members to see what brand of Tx they use. Buy the brand that is commonly use in the group, this will make it far easier for them to help you.

It's likely one of them will have an older one to sell you.

Myself, I use Flysky, I'm lost on Spectrum, just because I'm not familiar with the menus. The Spectrum guys in my club will ask me how to set a mix. I'll tell them which channel to make master & slave, but I have no idea how to get there through the Spectrum menu. They take it from there & setup the mix.

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Totally agree. Local support is huge.

My recommendation to @slakkie2000, If you live in an area with a local flying club, join it. Ask around among the members to see what brand of Tx they use. Buy the brand that is commonly use in the group, this will make it far easier for them to help you.

It's likely one of them will have an older one to sell you.

Myself, I use Flysky, I'm lost on Spectrum, just because I'm not familiar with the menus. The Spectrum guys in my club will ask me how to set a mix. I'll tell them which channel to make master & slave, but I have no idea how to get there through the Spectrum menu. They take it from there & setup the mix.
That's all fine and dandy when you have a club to join or there is one in your area, not everybody has that option and then there are clubs (like the one in my area) that are not really into the whole foamboard concept and that they are not "real planes". I don't recommend one thing or another, but starting out with something simple and low cost for someone like myself was a good option, now that I have become more involved of course I'm going to upgrade to a better system but what I used to get me here worked fine for me and I can only relate that experience to someone asking

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
That's all fine and dandy when you have a club to join or there is one in your area, not everybody has that option and then there are clubs (like the one in my area) that are not really into the whole foamboard concept and that they are not "real planes". I don't recommend one thing or another, but starting out with something simple and low cost for someone like myself was a good option, now that I have become more involved of course I'm going to upgrade to a better system but what I used to get me here worked fine for me and I can only relate that experience to someone asking
All I know is that my radio will fly all of these and just about anything else i choose to build

Attachments

• IMG_20210408_190831865.jpg
    IMG_20210408_190831865.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210408_190826926.jpg
    IMG_20210408_190826926.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210408_190812655.jpg
    IMG_20210408_190812655.jpg
  • IMG_20210408_190800072.jpg
    IMG_20210408_190800072.jpg
  • IMG_20210408_190752281.jpg
    IMG_20210408_190752281.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210408_190740453.jpg
    IMG_20210408_190740453.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

sprzout

Mentor

What you did isn't wrong, but there's two mindsets for this situation:

1) Buy as cheaply as possible. Sure, you're buying something with the intent to spend more later as you get better, which is admirable. This has the downfalls, however, of lower quality, fewer features, lack of support (whether it's at a local flight field or online), and the one other side of this: "I could have just put the $60-$100 I spent on this cheap transmitter towards a nicer transmitter!"

2) Buy something more expensive. This allows you to get more features, better support, better quality than buying the cheapest thing out there, with the downside of, "I don't know if I bought the right transmitter for my needs," or "What if I don't like the hobby?"

Neither train of thought is wrong, but to focus ONLY on one set is just silly. Nothing is ever black or white.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
What you did isn't wrong, but there's two mindsets for this situation:

1) Buy as cheaply as possible. Sure, you're buying something with the intent to spend more later as you get better, which is admirable. This has the downfalls, however, of lower quality, fewer features, lack of support (whether it's at a local flight field or online), and the one other side of this: "I could have just put the $60-$100 I spent on this cheap transmitter towards a nicer transmitter!"

2) Buy something more expensive. This allows you to get more features, better support, better quality than buying the cheapest thing out there, with the downside of, "I don't know if I bought the right transmitter for my needs," or "What if I don't like the hobby?"

Neither train of thought is wrong, but to focus ONLY on one set is just silly. Nothing is ever black or white.
my goal was not to buy cheap it was to buy something that would give me enough that if i thought down the road that this wasn't for me i wouldnt be out a lot of money . Remember its about cost effectiveness . I have 2 neighbours that I got involved with this thing and who didn't take to it so well so better 90 dollars than hundreds. I want to upgrade not because I have to but because I have acquired the skills and desire to do that. With all that said I will probably stick to what I have until I make the move to a "real plane"

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Great looking planes.

I totally agree, some clubs are snobby. I flew alone for several years, the handful of guys that taught me to fly all got old or moved away. Then I stumbled across a new guy then another and we had a “club”. We are up 12 at this time. It would be more accurate to say we are a bunch of guys that fly together. It’s just a lot more fun to fly in a group than alone. I’ve had some spectacular crashes, I glad I could share the experience with people I call friends.

I also buy the cheap stuff. All of my buddies buy name brand stuff, which fails at the same rate as my stuff. I see no difference in “quality”, they do get much better service than I do. If they get a bad ESC, it gets replaced for free. But I getting 3 for the price they pay for one. If I get a dud, I don’t complain, I just gab another & go on. If you can’t fly until the part arrives, then waiting for the part is a problem. Waiting for a part is not a problem, if your just replenishing inventory.

Last edited:

Phin G

Elite member
On hobbyking they have £36 off a turnigy evolution so it is £27. I use one for my drone and its good i can go up to 250m with a fs-a8s on my 3” but i am limited with the fpv range.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Great looking planes.

I totally agree, some clubs are snobby. I flew alone for several years, the handful of guys that taught me to fly all got old or moved away. Then I stumbled across a new guy then another and we had a “club”. We are up 12 at this time. It would be more accurate to say we are a bunch of guys that fly together. It’s just a lot more fun to fly in a group than alone. I’ve had some spectacular crashes, I glad I could share the experience with people I call friends.

I also buy the cheap stuff. All of my buddies buy name brand stuff, which fails at the same rate as my stuff. I see no difference in “quality”, they do get much better service than I do. If they get a bad ESC, it gets replaced for free. But I getting 3 for the price they pay for one. If I get a dud, I don’t complain, I just gab another & go on. If you can’t fly until the part arrives, then waiting for the part is a problem. Waiting for a part is not a problem, if your just replenishing inventory.
Mine is like that just a bit more organized. We don’t even have meetings.