Want true DSMX in your Taranis?

MrClean

Well what do you know, I can still solder. Though I finally bought a soldering station and some other gadgets that I've been living without for a while. Basically have been using a butane soldering iron since 1988. Watched the vid, bought the bits, scavenged the board "I used solder wick I don't have the desolder gun like you, remembered to add a little leaded solder to the no lead solder which made working with it so much easier, plugged it in and bound right up to one of my Orange receivers. I'll have to climb around some stuff in the garage to get to a plane with one of my dms2 lemons. I'm assuming that the transmitter PID label is the only label in the battery box and that mine which starts with TE that isn't on the list should mean I don't have a backwards compatible problem.
So really, it's been about a month of gathering and now I've got a module in the back of my transmitter that I can leave in and store in the TX box. I have the orange module but it has that odd antennae placement and to bind it you need to hit the button in the back while you turn it on and look for the condition of the light WHICH is underneath the finger you're using to press the button. It, works. This is better.

Thanks. Weather permitting I'll give this a range test by heaving this FMA Razor and seeing what happens.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm a happy camper with these modules now - due to weirdness with the radio binding for DSMX mentioned above in the thread, I built two of these radio modules. One binds perfectly with DSMX and one binds to DSM2 - all the model match stuff works great, it remembers the binding for all my planes, and I'm a happy flyer!

During this process I purchased several extra PCB and component sets. I sold two extras and the old Orange receiver on the forums before the holidays, but I still have two extra PCBs left that need new homes. These PCBs have all of the components soldered on as shown in the picture - just need to plug in the radio module, antenna, and drop it into your choice of case.

If anyone is interested send me a PM on the formum here - for $20 I'll ship one anywhere domestically, for international shipping just let me know where it needs to go and we'll figure it out.

Thanks!

IMAG1782[1].jpg

MrClean

I just have the boards, no components. The components are next to nothing to order and installing and soldering is ridiculously simple. The guy on he video probably has a better looking soldering joint but a cheap 25 watt soldering iron will get the job done. Remember if you go to de-solder the TX module they used leadless solder SO get a drop little leaded solder on your iron and touch it to the leaded stuff. TADA, leaded solder with a lower melting point and longer set time.

Last edited:

gtvrb

Ultimately I would like to find one already done but I may have to bite the bullet on the parts eventually. The weather isn't great here for flying right now so I am able to put things off for a little while.

Exploroman

Has anyone made one of these Taranis/Spectrum modules with the module from the DX7?
I have an old DX7 that I'll either sell, or mod. This seems like a good way to give the radio is just end.

Will from
Ottawa.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Has anyone made one of these Taranis/Spectrum modules with the module from the DX7?
I have an old DX7 that I'll either sell, or mod. This seems like a good way to give the radio is just end.

Will from
Ottawa.

It's not on the list as known to work if you read the original articles. John Prikkel (I think - may have been and article he references) mentions that someone claimed to have got it working with 12 Channels but he had not seen it himself. It is possible that you can make it work but you may have to wire it yourself since his PCB is designed for the specific modules. The purpose of the PCB is just to provide power to the module. It doesn't do anything very clever; just makes it neat. This article shows an alternative way to do it and here is an original article.

Also, as I understand it, the way this works is there is some DSM* logic implemented in OpenTX and Er9X that actually runs the module managing the binding and possibly other things. This is why it works much more conveniently than the Orange Module. It may be that the logic used there will control modules other than the ones tested but before you pull your DX7 apart you might want to look into that. I would ask on the OpenRC forums.

Note: I think the Orange module works just using the PPM out from the radio. The DSM* binding logic is all implemented in the Orange module.

Grauwulf

Just a heads up for guys building these modules, make sure your donor transmitter module isn't a EU-spec module. I scavenged one out of a DX4, and the module said DX5e-E on it. It works with my genuine Spektrum DSMX receivers, but will not bind with my Lemon or Orange DSM2 receivers.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Just a heads up for guys building these modules, make sure your donor transmitter module isn't a EU-spec module. I scavenged one out of a DX4, and the module said DX5e-E on it. It works with my genuine Spektrum DSMX receivers, but will not bind with my Lemon or Orange DSM2 receivers.

Good to know. Makes sense. Newer Spektrum EU stuff is DSMX only. I think the rules changed last year (2015).

Probably older "EU" stuff will work with DSM2 but it may not have been specific to EU. For a while only DSM2 was legal in France and there is a "FRANCE" mode in some US Spektrum stuff that reduces the power and limits the TX to DSM2.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Good to know. Makes sense. Newer Spektrum EU stuff is DSMX only. I think the rules changed last year (2015).

True. FrSky also had to change their protocols because of those new laws. European transmitters now have to do "Listen Before Broadcast"...

Exploroman

Euro-laws

True. FrSky also had to change their protocols because of those new laws. European transmitters now have to do "Listen Before Broadcast"...

That's cool.
I had no idea. I wonder if Taranis is helping people who have older Taranis that can be modded to meet the new European laws.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
It only applies to new equipment sold

Yes, that includes receivers. So if you want a new receiver to work, you have to either change the firmware of the receiver or the Taranis XJT transmitter module.

Upgrading is not that difficult. I used a special interface cable, but with OpenTX 2.1 you should be able to just transfer it on the SD card, boot the Taranis, long press menu, short press page, select the firmware and choose "upgrade internal transmitter module" (or however it's called ;-)).

HawkMan

but if you upgrade the taranis tx, does it stop working with old non LBB receivers then ?

I haven't really done anything special to upgrade the Tx modules, just upgraded the taranis to the latest version via companion regularly.

HilldaFlyer

I just have the boards, no components. The components are next to nothing to order and installing and soldering is ridiculously simple. The guy on he video probably has a better looking soldering joint but a cheap 25 watt soldering iron will get the job done. Remember if you go to de-solder the TX module they used leadless solder SO get a drop little leaded solder on your iron and touch it to the leaded stuff. TADA, leaded solder with a lower melting point and longer set time.

Need parts? When I built my DIY DSMX module, I purchased three of everything and only used one. They're in box somewhere. Let me know if you are interested.
Update - they're gone now. Thanks for all the requests. Good luck with DIY power regulator. Simple to build, even without a breadboard.

Last edited:

tekyguy

Need parts? When I built my DIY DSMX module, I purchased three of everything and only used one. They're in box somewhere. Let me know if you are interested.

Hi there, I am interested in your parts to build one please. By the way your write up is awesome!!! Is it still limited to 6 channels? I find channel 7 very useful on many of my mini quads to make the beeper beep to help me find them in a crash.

How much for a set of parts plus USPS shipping to 44039?