Want true DSMX in your Taranis?

Badfrogg

I have recently bought the three boards and components sets to make this module. I would like to sell off the two remaining board and components sets (PCB and Mouser BOM only - Not including radio module or plastic case). I will assemble and test with the radio module that i have from a DX4e. I was thinking like $20 each. This saves from having to buy the three PCB's. I will put them on eBay in a few days. Anyone interested?

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
I have recently bought the three boards and components sets to make this module. I would like to sell off the two remaining board and components sets (PCB and Mouser BOM only - Not including radio module or plastic case). I will assemble and test with the radio module that i have from a DX4e. I was thinking like $20 each. This saves from having to buy the three PCB's. I will put them on eBay in a few days. Anyone interested?

Had I not already ordered from oshpark and mouser myself, I'd hit you up. Luckily I'm in no rush since I've not purchased a taranis yet anyways :p

CartCurt

I am very interested in one.

Badfrogg

Okay, as promised, here are the two remaining boards partially assembled. J2 and R2 are included but not soldered. I did not use J2 on mine, i just soldered the radio module directly to the PCB, seemed better that way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191553867431?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Here is mine with the two others. Worked like a charm!
20150407_185839.jpg

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Just a quick heads up. Mine works with a DX4e module I got from eBay. Looks like the MLP4DSM module is the bad guy.

Now if I could find a store in Europe that sells me those cases for less than $25 :-(...

C6SUMMER

Same situation as Badfrog, I have recently bought the three boards and components sets to make this module. I would like to sell off the two remaining board and components sets (PCB and Mouser BOM only - Not including radio module or plastic case). I will assemble and test with the radio module that i have from a DX4e. I was thinking like $20 each. This saves from having to buy the three PCB's. I will put them on eBay in a few days. Anyone interested?

N9WA

Same situation as Badfrog, I have recently bought the three boards and components sets to make this module. I would like to sell off the two remaining board and components sets (PCB and Mouser BOM only - Not including radio module or plastic case). I will assemble and test with the radio module that i have from a DX4e. I was thinking like $20 each. This saves from having to buy the three PCB's. I will put them on eBay in a few days. Anyone interested?

I'm in for 1!

Chaser1029

Never dealt with circuit boards so a little hesitant to try this. Is most of this just simple soldering (can't currently watch the video due to internet speed)? And the module case is currently on backorder. Anyone know where to get a similiar case?
Would provide the dx5e module if someone built it for me, name your price :p

bitogre

I need to find my old DX5e so I can do this. If any one has a spare PCB (given that OSH Park requires you buy 3), please let me know so I can buy your spare instead of buy 3 from OSH park.

Also, any one using this with a Taranis and a higher voltage battery? I have switch to using a 1500mAh 3 cell LiFe in my Taranis. I am slightly concerned that this uses a linear 3.3V regulator which can be wasting up to 6.12W. It looks like the regulator should be fine (it is rated for up to 12W of power dissipation) but it would be nice to know how it last long term. Will the regulator eventually over heat due to lack of airflow, especially when run with higher voltage battery?

I may have to do some testing on my own or try using a switching regulator (like the TSR-1 or the Pololu 3.3V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S7V8F3) instead.

bitogre

Never dealt with circuit boards so a little hesitant to try this. Is most of this just simple soldering (can't currently watch the video due to internet speed)?

The de-soldering of the module to remove it from the DX5e is the most difficult bit of soldering required. If you will be at Flite Fest, I can help you do this. The rest should be very easy (easier that solder XT60 connectors).

And the module case is currently on backorder. Anyone know where to get a similar case?

I did find a JRPA615 JR Module case but this version does not have the antenna nor an easy way to attach the antenna. You can use it but it will be more work. Looking at Spektrum's page for the SPM6817, it seems to indicate it will be back in stock "Mid July, 2015".

Would provide the dx5e module if someone built it for me, name your price :p

If people want, I will construct this for people. Just send me the module and/or the transmitter that I am to pull the module out of. I think I will charge $10 + parts + S&H for those that send me modules and $20 + parts + S&H for those that want me to remove the module from a TX.

For those that want to do this themselves, given that I would be ordering these boards and parts for myself and given that there is a minimum order quantity of 3, I think we should work together to buy them in one order and distribute as needed. If more than 3 people (including myself and those I will do the work for) are interested, we can save on shipping but ordering together.

Last edited:

Dodger

This'll e too awesome. There's a MLP4DSM in the controller of the Nano QX controller that comes with the RTF models. Can pull that make a module and maybe use my 9XR Pro.

bitogre

This'll e too awesome. There's a MLP4DSM in the controller of the Nano QX controller that comes with the RTF models. Can pull that make a module and maybe use my 9XR Pro.

For a quick search, the MLP4DSM is not that good. It has lower resolution and less power than the module used in other Spektrum radios. So be careful if you do decide to try to use it.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
The MLP4DSM is a "low power" transmitter. It will not give you the full range.

Also, I had problems with a MLP4DSM module on the board. My Taranis did not detect the module (tried with and without one of the resistors as people suggested). It worked as soon as I got a module from a used DX4.

Grauwulf

Just started assembling 3 of these modules tonight, got one fully built with a transmitter module from a DX4e. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet in my Taranis or Turnigy 9XR. Will be completing a second module for my gf's radio and will probably sell the third one.

oleost

Just started assembling 3 of these modules tonight, got one fully built with a transmitter module from a DX4e. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet in my Taranis or Turnigy 9XR. Will be completing a second module for my gf's radio and will probably sell the third one.

Have you sold the third one?

And anyone selling these in kits? I can always solder and get the dsmx module myself.

Since shipping cost from mouser to Norway is 3x the price of the parts...

bitogre

Have you sold the third one?

And anyone selling these in kits? I can always solder and get the dsmx module myself.

Since shipping cost from mouser to Norway is 3x the price of the parts...

I still have at least 1 full kit minus module and JR Module/Case/Antenna. Private Message me if you are interested.