wanting a good 2nd plane

RcPro97

Hi everyone. I am wanting to get another plane. This wont be my 2nd plane, but I haven't flown in over a year. So I'm probably at that skill level again. I started flying about 3 years ago with a mini super cub, I moved from there to a pheonix 2000, and then many home made flying wings. For the last year I haven't touched a plane, but have been flying fpv multirotors.

I'm wanting to get a multi-purpose plane. Eventually I will be putting a fpv system on it and would like to be able to give long range a go. I'm wondering what people here would suggest? I've been looking at the bixler but I'm not sure yet.

Anyone have suggestions on what I could fly? Thanks.

ZoomNBoom

Sounds like you have more experience than you give yourself credit for. You'll readjust quickly. Even having flown multirotors will help with flying planes, stick time is stick time almost no matter what you fly.

Im gonna suggest two planes Im looking at myself for FPV and autonomous flight; Ive flown neither, so dont read this as a recommendation, rather as suggestions:
the mini skyhunter: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ng_8482_Mini_SkyHunter_FPV_Platform_PNF_.html

That looks like a fun plane to fly LoS as well, but im not sure how easily it will carry all my gear

And the skymule:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...le_Twin_FPV_Sports_Model_EPO_1500mm_PNF_.html

Dont know why, but that plane just appeals to me. And it certainly has ample space and loading capacity.

Bennet

Hi everyone. I am wanting to get another plane. This wont be my 2nd plane, but I haven't flown in over a year. So I'm probably at that skill level again. I started flying about 3 years ago with a mini super cub, I moved from there to a pheonix 2000, and then many home made flying wings. For the last year I haven't touched a plane, but have been flying fpv multirotors.

I'm wanting to get a multi-purpose plane. Eventually I will be putting a fpv system on it and would like to be able to give long range a go. I'm wondering what people here would suggest? I've been looking at the bixler but I'm not sure yet.

Anyone have suggestions on what I could fly? Thanks.

I am making an Ansley Peace Drone now for FPV use also. I'm having some tourque issues but those will hopefully be fixed soon. It has a TON of space depending on which fuselage you choose to make. It is a really beautiful plane and design. Best of luck!

-Bennet

http://experimentalairlines.com/?page_id=18

earthsciteach

I second Airhawk's suggestion. The Bixler/Sky Surfer is a great platform for a second plane, it is very versatile and can handle fairly heavy winds once you get comfy with it. Great airframe.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I think the bixler style planes are great. They're versatile, fun to fly, and a lot of people fly it for FPV. That said, you've built lots of flying wings... that's a great FPV platform and will pretty much easily give you long range capabilities if that's where you really want to try out. My first Versa wing, I was amazed at how much flight time I had on a 2200mAh battery (over 20 minutes)

RcPro97

Thanks guys. The bixler was initially what I wanted. So it looks like I will be going for that.

I'm still unsure on what version of the bixler I should buy. I don't think I will be getting the bix 3 because money is tight.
Both the bixler 1.1 and 2 are about the same price right now. I am wanting a KIT/ARF/PNF, I already have radio gear and a few 2200mAh 3S batteries. The bixler 1.1 is ARF, and the bixler 2 is ARF or KIT.

Is the bixler 1.1 stock motor good for fpv? or would I find myself upgrading it?
Or should I get a bixler 2 in KIT, and choose my own motor?

Thanks.

RcPro97

Hi guys, I got my bix1.1 today. Looks great, but had some quality issues out of the box. One of the servos has a broken tooth. And some glue was spilled down one of the pushrod tubes, gluing it shut. I cant get it to free so I will need to get a new road and sleeve. The stripped tooth out of the box doesn't install confidence in me as far as the servos. I have some tgy-50090M that I might put in it instead. Other than that I am quite happy with it and cant wait to get it into the air. Thanks guys.