Wanting my next plane to be EDF just I've never made EDF before

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I'm thinking of what my new years build will be. The simple stick doesn't count, I started it before new years. So what are some good foam planes with edf and what do I need to know?

telnar1236

Elite member
Another possibility is to make a profile model if you don't mind not having a full fuse. You can make a decent looking model of most planes using a profile. If you're looking for something with premade plans, the FT Viggen would be my recommendation. It flies very well even on a cheap 64mm EDF and 3s 2200. The GrunJet is also a great plane. I just can't get around how it looks since I like sleek jets that look like they are breaking the sound barrier. If you want something a bit more involved, any of Steve Shumate's designs look amazing can be made using foam board with the paper peeled off, and most are pretty easy to convert to EDF.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Another possibility is to make a profile model if you don't mind not having a full fuse. You can make a decent looking model of most planes using a profile. If you're looking for something with premade plans, the FT Viggen would be my recommendation. It flies very well even on a cheap 64mm EDF and 3s 2200. The GrunJet is also a great plane. I just can't get around how it looks since I like sleek jets that look like they are breaking the sound barrier. If you want something a bit more involved, any of Steve Shumate's designs look amazing can be made using foam board with the paper peeled off, and most are pretty easy to convert to EDF.
Sounds like I might leave EDF till later. Expensive, fast and poor stall envelope means I probably should wait to get my skills to the point I'm fully feeling chill about the idea of super fast. Currently enjoying stepping up from trainers to more aerobatic planes. Thanks though!

telnar1236

Elite member
Sounds like I might leave EDF till later. Expensive, fast and poor stall envelope means I probably should wait to get my skills to the point I'm fully feeling chill about the idea of super fast. Currently enjoying stepping up from trainers to more aerobatic planes. Thanks though!
Waiting to do EDFs until you've mastered sport flyers is probably wise. The one exception to that might be the FT Viggen. In my opinion, it's easier to fly than the FT Delta, and you basically can't stall it. With a lighter power setup you won't get more than 50 mph or so either. You can probably get a decent 64mm EDF setup off Banggood for pretty cheap. EDFs are more difficult as a general rule, but the FT Viggen is not a plane to be scared of.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Waiting to do EDFs until you've mastered sport flyers is probably wise. The one exception to that might be the FT Viggen. In my opinion, it's easier to fly than the FT Delta, and you basically can't stall it. With a lighter power setup you won't get more than 50 mph or so either. You can probably get a decent 64mm EDF setup off Banggood for pretty cheap. EDFs are more difficult as a general rule, but the FT Viggen is not a plane to be scared of.
Ok, cool. FT Viggen will be coming up! (y)

dap35

Elite member
I am def on the beginner end of the spectrum and can attest to the GrunJets ease of handling. Launches have been pretty good and it has enough lift that landings are easy.