War Birds

Marshall73

I stopped by this little place for lunch yesterday. I was in the neighborhood, after all. I ran into a few friends of yours. I figured you all would want to see how they are doing after so long...

Cheers to a great community. I have long been fascinated with aviation, particularity the aircraft of the second world war. My grandfather was one of the many men who fought on the islands of Saipan and Tinian, two islands that figured prominently in the strategic air campaigns of the Pacific theater. When I was very young he gave me a small piece of aluminum cut from the fuselage of a wrecked Japanense bomber with the date of the Saipan beachhead inscribed on it, I was utterly transfixed. I suppose my fascination has not faded much since my childhood, only my willingness to indulge it. I was super stoked to discover the world of scratch building and the FC community. I have completed several mighty mini war birds and have a the full sized corsair in the works. Again, I am very grateful for the opportunity to explore these amazing machines and the fascinating ways their legacies resonate across generations.
All the best,
-Marshall

Attachments

• IMG-0665.jpg
    IMG-0665.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-0728.jpg
    IMG-0728.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-0739.jpg
    IMG-0739.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-0749.jpg
    IMG-0749.jpg
  • IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

FL_Engineer

Elite member
You've convinced me... If everything goes well with my Scout, the Spitfire is on my list. Like everyone I've always had a soft spot for the P-51 and P-38. Love the look of the P-40 and Corsair and also have a thing for Zeros and the BF-109. Grandfather was a tail-gunner on a B-17G so that's an obvious choice for a 4 motor... Been falling in love with the DH Vampire ; Cold War counts doesn't it? Also thought the F-4 would be a cool build for an EDF since I haven't seen many. It appears my list is greater than my budget :unsure:.

Last edited:

Marshall73

Spitfire it is then... Here is the current state of my work space where I should be doing gainful work for my precious few clients. Sorry clients.
I am really just focusing on the scratch building process for now, final air frame quality is a bit sketchy at the moment and there is so much to learn before I actually get anything in the air. I have to admit that building these things is quite satisfying, I can only imagine how satisfying it must be to see one of you own in the air. Thanks for the welcome folks, it's appreciated.
Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Marshall73

I spent a few years outside DC and if I may ask, where do plan on flying? FWIW I used to get lost at Udvar-Hazy myself.

Those aforementioned clients are all large grain and dairy farms. I have a simple cub kit and a scratch built tiny trainer. I am hoping to assemble the cub with my daughters and plan on flying it and the trainer around a few carefully selected fields from the many that my clients manage. I am a geographer by trade. Some of the maps I make are used for helicopter pesticide application. I have some familiarity with the restricted airspace in north-central part of Maryland and will avoid venturing anywhere near those farms. I am certain we will find a nice out-of-the-way spot to learn to fly.

I am also hoping that gaining some direct experience with RC aviation and the growing demand in agriculture for more near-real time remote sensing. I don't wish to make the massive commitment in a commercial drone license and a commercial level drone based only on advice from others. The pull of the expanding field of gravity from RC aviation has grown to great for me to resist so I figured I would approach it from the most fundamentally fascinating perspective, at least for me, and that is those amazing piston engine fighting machines from WWII.

Udvar-Hazy is the closest thing I can imagine to a cathedral. The sense of awe inspired by the sight of the Enola Gay was something I was not prepared for, my mouth was literally agape as I stood nose to Norden bombsight with her. I can't wait to go back.
And not-for-nothin' the view of the conservation facility is magic.

Attachments

• IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
  • IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Spitfire it is then... Here is the current state of my work space where I should be doing gainful work for my precious few clients. Sorry clients.
I am really just focusing on the scratch building process for now, final air frame quality is a bit sketchy at the moment and there is so much to learn before I actually get anything in the air. I have to admit that building these things is quite satisfying, I can only imagine how satisfying it must be to see one of you own in the air. Thanks for the welcome folks, it's appreciated.
Cheers!
Welcome to the forums, and good choice on the Spit. I built one awhile back and to fly it continues to be a strong favorite of the warbirds from FT. If you need any tips to help clean up the finish of the bird I have a few tips on my YT channel in the playlist section you might be interested in. Here is a video to get you started...
If you like what you see it would be much appreciated if you subscribe, there are a bunch of flight vids if you want to get inspiration for other builds, and some you will laugh at if crashing is funny to you, makes me laugh anyway. Good luck on the build (y)