Warbird-Racer-Thingy foam construction called "mimmi-lou"

p-air-o

Hi there,

stumbled uppon this site and the forum some days ago and love it. It's much more "playfull" than all the other sites I visited so far. So thumbs up! This is a great place!

I started RC-flying 3 Month ago, with an PZ Corsair ultra-mico and upgraded a bit later to her new bigger sister as well from PZ. When I got quite used to fixing the damages, caused of course by sudden mean windstrokes, the camera man, the field itself and of course the manufacturer ;-) I thought it was time I start building my own plane.

It started with a visit at my local hardware store, where I bought a piece of foam usually used for mouting on the outside of the house to keep the inner warm... figured this stuff is light - build a plane out of it... by that time I had no idea which material is suited/used for building foam planes.
Step by step along the build I learned more stuff, build tools, bought components, sold components, tried different methods of building wings, changed proportions and sizes and ended up with something which is ... let's call it funny-rare ;-) and reminds me of a running-shoe ... perhapes it is the stripes?

Still waiting for the new motor to fly: The motor which I installed in the pics turned out to be not to be right for my setup.
I tried to work with components which I could use as spare parts for the corsair if needed and which match the parts I already bought as spare parts...

So hopefully I can take her to the field this thursday and fly/crash her... we'll see ... review will follow...

greetings from germany

IMG_3742.JPG IMG_3741.JPG

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the maiden flight and/or crash!

Your scratch build looks a bit like some sort of WWII era Soviet Yak. What are you powering it with?

p-air-o

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the maiden flight and/or crash!

Your scratch build looks a bit like some sort of WWII era Soviet Yak. What are you powering it with?

hi earthsciteach,

the idea is to use a
Brushless Outrunner 2836 880 Rpm/V (which hopefully will arrive before thursday)
with a 30+ ESC
+ 11x7 apc prop
+ one 3cell 2200/25c lipo

hope this setup will be enough to get her in the air

the motor mounted in right now is a
Dymond AL 3536, 1250 Rpm/V which, with the 11x7 prop makes the 30 esc get really hot...
recommended prop size for this motor would be 9x6, which definitely ist too small for my taste (me like BIG PROPs :cool: ) I'm not sure... perhaps it would manage an 11x4 (I read somewhere that if one adds and subtracts the same amount the prop behaves the same like, 9+2 x 6-2), too but I'm too unexperienced to tell

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
(I read somewhere that if one adds and subtracts the same amount the prop behaves the same like, 9+2 x 6-2)

Rule of thumb is that a one inch change in diameter is roughly equivalent to two in pitch.
So- 9x6 would be roughly equivalent to a 10x4...

p-air-o

Thank you on that info jetpackninja. Seems I got some facts wrong. All the infos I gathered the last weeks are quite overwhelming and with no experience behind them they are somehow abstract.

May I ask another question?
Is there a rule of thumb on converting a 2-bladed prop into a 3-bladed one? So, e.g. if you have a setup with a 11x7 Prop, what 3-bladed Prop am I looking for?

Tnx for your time!
Pero

p-air-o

to be honest... I had some flying time on the simulator first, which helped me a lot getting to know the controls and general behaviour of an rc plane...

earthsciteach

Hey, even with a simulator, that can be a tough, first airplane. I've never flown the Corsair, but the Mustang is pretty twitchy. Looking forward to news of your maiden!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Thank you on that info jetpackninja. Seems I got some facts wrong. All the infos I gathered the last weeks are quite overwhelming and with no experience behind them they are somehow abstract.

May I ask another question?
Is there a rule of thumb on converting a 2-bladed prop into a 3-bladed one? So, e.g. if you have a setup with a 11x7 Prop, what 3-bladed Prop am I looking for?

Tnx for your time!
Pero
I'm not aware of formula that equates a 3 blade to a two blade but there is likely one out there somewhere.
Even two different profile props with the same profile can pull radically different amount of amps.
The numbers provided by the manufacturers are also often not accurate.
My standard advice for experimenting with prop/esc/motor combinations is to invest in a watt meter.
By the time it save you from smoking one or two motors or speed controllers it has paid for itself :)

p-air-o

hmm... so I guess in conclusion this means this is not only a hobby where you fly planes but also one where you collect props, right ;-)

earthsciteach

hmm... so I guess in conclusion this means this is not only a hobby where you fly planes but also one where you collect props, right ;-)

Along with batteries, motors, various electronic devices of all sorts, sheets of foam, chunks of foam, a diversity of glues, assorted balsa stock, random wires, rods, hardware, and an enormous amount of every day household items that appeal to you as a potential aircraft component of any sort. This is just a short list.

p-air-o

btw. the new motor arrived today... looks a bit tiny... the specs provided by the manufacturer say that it's a motor for planes up to 1000g and will handle a prop up to 12x6 but on the other hand it just runs on 243 something W ... that would be, for all I read so far, enough for a plane with about 550g or so,right?

it's a bc-2836/9 880 kv not sure which manufacturer it actually is... there's a little sticker with "rctimer.com" on it...
here are the specs - I'm using a 3cell 2200 25c lipo

what do you think... will this work for a plane with 1100mm wingspan, 850mm length and 750g weight (all included)?

p-air-o

Along with batteries, motors, various electronic devices of all sorts, sheets of foam, chunks of foam, a diversity of glues, assorted balsa stock, random wires, rods, hardware, and an enormous amount of every day household items that appeal to you as a potential aircraft component of any sort. This is just a short list.

i should have known ;-)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM

Yea Teach, My wife hates it. I head to the Glue department in every store that sells it. She even got carded last year cause I put glue in her cart :confused: which is funny because both of us are well over 50 years of age :p.

Thurmond

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor

If you break 'em as often as I do you don't collect as much...
I standardize as much as possible too. 7x6 apc clone works on almost all of my planes. A GWS 10x6 works on the rest but for a couple of exceptions. I buy bunches of the apc clones from Hobbyking and my LHS stock the GWS 10x6...

p-air-o

hmm another interesting correlation... it seems that wifes and rc dont really correspond ;-)

btw. I build a motor mount adapter for the motor mount so I can try both motors ... and to really boost the planes motivation to fly, I added nice stickers ;-)

Foto.JPG

p-air-o

back after 6 weeks of flying absence ... one should not stop a full throttle running prop with the back of ones hand... if one doesn't like to get all bloody and a cut senew ;-)

so I finally managed to maiden her... went not as good as I suspected... motor seem powerful enough but something went terribly wrong... I'm not sure what exactly happened. I gave her a little last minute trim on the elevator just a sec before the takeoff... perhapes that's what caused the following scene... or perhaps tailheavyness? or totally misstrimmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giubFwUYx8k

anyone an idea by looking at the mov?
I threw it with about 3/4 throttle

Plane is already fixed and witing for a now try... as soon as it stops raining.
For a start I added some more weight to the nose and build a new elevator.

Last edited: