Warbirds from paper plane plans

smiling albert

Hi
Some of you may know me as a newbie,only built two planes ,a TT and then a Hellcat similar to Niezs using this website
https://www.foamflying.com/rc-prop-planes.html
This uses curl and form for the fueselage but the wing isn’t to my liking as I wanted it to look as scale as possible.
I really like rounded fueselage s and decent wings like nerd Nic’s. To produce a scale model flying at scale speed
My plan is to use paper plans such as these
http://from-paper.com/en/news/aviat...-british-fighter-of-the-second-world-war.html
Then Enlarge to an 800 mm wingspan ,easily done using printer options and poster,tiling options. Print plans and build .
ALReady done a cardboard mock-up to identify potential snags,pictures soon.
I intend to build the wings using nerdnics techniques he used on his spitfire .
My question is ,with those shaped wings will it fly ?!
Assuming this is a scale drawing surely it has a chance?
Was thinking of introducing dihedral like in ft spitfire .
Any thoughts?

Lukelsnoot

Hi
Some of you may know me as a newbie,only built two planes ,a TT and then a Hellcat similar to Niezs using this website
https://www.foamflying.com/rc-prop-planes.html
This uses curl and form for the fueselage but the wing isn’t to my liking as I wanted it to look as scale as possible.
I really like rounded fueselage s and decent wings like nerd Nic’s. To produce a scale model flying at scale speed
My plan is to use paper plans such as these
http://from-paper.com/en/news/aviat...-british-fighter-of-the-second-world-war.html
Then Enlarge to an 800 mm wingspan ,easily done using printer options and poster,tiling options. Print plans and build .
ALReady done a cardboard mock-up to identify potential snags,pictures soon.
I intend to build the wings using nerdnics techniques he used on his spitfire .
My question is ,with those shaped wings will it fly ?!
Assuming this is a scale drawing surely it has a chance?
Was thinking of introducing dihedral like in ft spitfire .
Any thoughts?
I have done a lot of these paper models and always wondered if I could make them rc. It is good to see that someone is going to try.

smiling albert

Thanks for this ,shall we do a group build,all contributions will help .
If it does work there are thousands of these to then choose from on t'internet!!!
If FT can get a pig/toilet to fly sureley this is doable??

Lukelsnoot

Thanks for this ,shall we do a group build,all contributions will help .
If it does work there are thousands of these to then choose from on t'internet!!!
If FT can get a pig/toilet to fly sureley this is doable??
I have gotten a few to be chuck gliders so I think it is possible. I have been looking for my next project so this would be an awesome project to do. I have a Pinterest board devoted to them. I also know that there are more detailed ones out if you just look. I am going to do the Piper Tri Pacer and with a lot more balsa at my house then foam board I am going to use that. I will make the paper version first to see what I am working with then I could go from there.

smiling albert

Ok thanks,
Will get some pictures soon of my cardboard mock up.
I do it at work ,when free!
Can already see this wing is bigger in area than nerdnics (approximately same scale)which is a good thing surely?
Also looks like a FT TT pod will fit in through the front and I reckon I can make a flip up lid like nerd Nic to load batteries .
Both pod and batteries could lie on square holes cut in formers,see old guys Hellcat design
My main concern is the wingspan is only slightly longer than the fuselage length,which is not so good and a nerd Nic wing is flat underneath.
However the plans come with formers so this may help rounding out the bottom of the wing a little.
Ps do you have any paper spitfire plans with more formers in the wings?

Last edited:

smiling albert

Ok
Frankenstein’s monster is revealed!
Remember this is a very rough cardboard mock-up!
Tried to use 5 mm cardboard (ie approximately FT foamboard thickness)so can see where there might be problems you wouldn’t,t get if built it in paper.
Still think FT mini power pod would slide in front and could open up a flap nerdnic like just forward of the cockpit for the batteries
Main problem could be thickness of formers/ bulkheads but just as withFT master Corsair,can be shaved/ sanded to fit.
Now going to work on wings.

Attachments

• 75A5015B-C25B-448C-945B-17804B21C430.jpeg
    75A5015B-C25B-448C-945B-17804B21C430.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 6686BC94-ACC1-46D2-8E61-32B40493BADE.jpeg
    6686BC94-ACC1-46D2-8E61-32B40493BADE.jpeg
  • 82C9C0A5-D21B-4EFD-B707-058E86806F99.jpeg
    82C9C0A5-D21B-4EFD-B707-058E86806F99.jpeg

OliverW

Legendary member
Ok
Frankenstein’s monster is revealed!
Remember this is a very rough cardboard mock-up!
Tried to use 5 mm cardboard (ie approximately FT foamboard thickness)so can see where there might be problems you wouldn’t,t get if built it in paper.
Still think FT mini power pod would slide in front and could open up a flap nerdnic like just forward of the cockpit for the batteries
Main problem could be thickness of formers/ bulkheads but just as withFT master Corsair,can be shaved/ sanded to fit.
Now going to work on wings.
My plan is to build one of these for my first foam build of the summer.

smiling albert

I’m scaling mine up to a wingspan of 800 mm so it matches nerdnics spit and I can “borrow” some of his ideas and plans for his excellent wings
https://www.nerdnic.com/nnspitfire-800.html

To work out the scale factor I divided 800 by the paper planes wingspan which I found by measuring on the pdf file using the ruler tool.
I got about 411% enlargement factor.
I may be trying to teach granny to suck eggs here so sorry if this is obvious to you

OliverW

Legendary member
I’m scaling mine up to a wingspan of 800 mm so it matches nerdnics spit and I can “borrow” some of his ideas and plans for his excellent wings
https://www.nerdnic.com/nnspitfire-800.html

To work out the scale factor I divided 800 by the paper planes wingspan which I found by measuring on the pdf file using the ruler tool.
I got about 411% enlargement factor.
I may be trying to teach granny to suck eggs here so sorry if this is obvious to you
It is super helpful thanks!

smiling albert

I know the bigger the plane the better but I haven’t got a vast amount of room so that’s another reason I went for 800 mm!
In the unlikely event this does work I may be building a few but I haven’t got the room for 40 inch plus monsters!
BTW here are some more plans
http://glidersusa.free.fr/

Last edited:

smiling albert

Am busy adapting the paper wing plan to use nerdnics ideas-pictures soon,here are his thoughts

You can definitely add a beveled trailing edge! There isn’t a set amount of how much to bevel. It’s based on where the foam comes together and the airfoil shape. I would start by doing 3-5 cm and then do more as needed.

Servos need to be placed in the wing close to the spar so there is enough clearance for it to fit in the wing. I would suggest putting the servo in the middle of the aileron so you get the most strength.

smiling albert

One problem I am having is with the original paper plans is parts 9a and 9b in particular,see photo.
They are the wing struts which make the shape and thickness of the wing.
I am keen to get the size of them correct.
Part 9a in particular has an internal line .
Is that a fold line ,bearing in mind this was for a paper plane .
I actually suspect not ,and this would make a significant difference to the thickness of the wing when enlarged.
Any thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• 49A4EEBF-043C-43E5-85B7-A4AAC8B37278.png
    49A4EEBF-043C-43E5-85B7-A4AAC8B37278.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 0
  • A6F69D88-2FB7-44E9-8927-786C5F58E99F.png
    A6F69D88-2FB7-44E9-8927-786C5F58E99F.png
    508.5 KB · Views: 0

smiling albert

Ok
Enclosed are some pictures of the two different wings,the second is nerdnics ,the first using the enlarged paper plans.,which I think is too thick
I think it’s a no brainier and what I was going to try anyway,use nerdnics wing and glue it to the rounded fuselage.
I’ve managed to get a FT TT sized powerpod inside(it’s slightly longer so it rests on two sets of formers and hopefully gives more strength)and propose to load it from the front.

There should be anotherformer right at the front but I think I might try leaving that off so with the prop shaft sticking out a bit I can get a prop and spinner on and there might be a gap between spinner and fuselage for air to cool the motor .
Am thinking of cutting a hatch in front of cockpit to allow battery to be loaded
Was thinking of some hinge mechanism and keeping it fastened with velcrose or magnets.
Do I need to keep the ESC cool,have an idea for that if I do.
Any thoughts on any of this?

Attachments

• EA220874-202B-41D1-A3A1-DDB1D35FE9B5.jpeg
    EA220874-202B-41D1-A3A1-DDB1D35FE9B5.jpeg
    692.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 7B698ECE-A9DC-4EAE-A473-D5F303ED5DE7.jpeg
    7B698ECE-A9DC-4EAE-A473-D5F303ED5DE7.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 288D7FCA-1ADA-4DA1-A93D-782A0D820045.jpeg
    288D7FCA-1ADA-4DA1-A93D-782A0D820045.jpeg
    626.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3CD6D312-9522-4045-99B7-5B4E1EFE2867.jpeg