Warbirds from paper plane plans

smiling albert

Thanks to nerdnic for this,will try next week if I can.
Also thanks to Jake for the 109 plans,I was using these for the Spitfire and I’ve got some for my planned Stuka as well.
If you find any for a Hawker Hurricane (I did look honest!) I would be most grateful.

Reactions: FDS

smiling albert

Hi
Thanks for this.
I am using your 109 plans and should have a fuselage by the weekend
Now I know this is cheeky but..Don’t suppose you have any more ,E.G. Hawker Typhoon,Ju 88,Mosquito Heinkel 111.....

JakeTheSloth

Hm, those will be problematic. I can have MiG-15, Fw-190A and P-51B mustang at the moment. I'd recommend finishing one project before going on with others. Oh and a word about mosquito - Niezgoda brothers recently published photos of their mosquito on insta and I think they'll make a release soon

smiling albert

I agree 1 at a time but just wondered for future projects if you /anyone has any of the Marek ones to post them here before being deleted etc

JakeTheSloth

I found them on 4shared years ago but as I said before they got deleted during PC formatting. I found a pack with about 60 models, La-5, Yak-3, LaGG-3, Ki-44, Ki-61, Gloster Meteor, Gloster Gladiator, PBY Catalina, Yokosuka Ohka, Do-335, few versions of Bf-109 including Avia S-199, Aero L-29, few versions of spitfire, Bristol Beaufighter, Brewster Buffalo, P-38 Lightning etc. Sadly I can't find them anymore :(

smiling albert

Have built a cardboard mock-up of the marek 109 and there’s may be a problem at the back of the cockpit .
When making the paper version you wouldn’t see this as it’s then got a papered over glass cockpit,see jakes excellent photo of his paper model.
However for our foam version this creates a visual problem with former D sticking above D’ and making it very weak.
May go back to original old model.

Attachments

• E2C1353F-897C-434D-923A-B2EBAE019B4F.jpeg
    E2C1353F-897C-434D-923A-B2EBAE019B4F.jpeg
    722.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 4AAC7E45-BA65-4DC7-815D-0F17C80483C4.jpeg
    4AAC7E45-BA65-4DC7-815D-0F17C80483C4.jpeg
    758.1 KB · Views: 1

JakeTheSloth

Yeah this part design isn't well thought trough by author. I'd modify D' former so it would fit there without bending and match it partly with D former, there simply should be 2 formers between pieces 3 and 4

smiling albert

Thanks Jake,not a big jet fan myself -unless its the Me 262/163 but probably a lot easier to build if anyone fancies a go .
If anyone has a paper me 110 /Dornier that would be good-then there's plenty of options if anyone fancies a go --will form a library of them.
Am awaiting servos for 109 and been busy at work so not much progress this week

smiling albert

Here we go

Attachments

• [GPM 180] - He-111.pdf
    16.6 MB · Views: 0
  • [GPM 001] - JU 88A.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Model Kartonowy - Fly Model 009 - Lancaster.pdf
    59.5 MB · Views: 0
  • MareK_spitfire-4 (1).pdf
    918.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Marek_№1-Junkers Ju-87B.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • mrk_junkers_ju52m3_1_33.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 0

JakeTheSloth

Oh that's cool, the problem is I don't have any EDFs, but I think I can make use of those plans. I make jets, yes, but I power them usually with MT2204 and 6' pushing prop, like eg. FT mini raptor. The current drain is much lower than with EDF.
I've found some jet plans about 6 months ago, I made F-15 and F/A-18. F-15 was crashed, Hornet survived a lot of flights and still lives :) I'm currently working on Gripen by jetset (the guy that made those plans). When it comes to WWII planes nerdnic is without doubt the best designer, but you already know his site for sure.
If you'd like to try them out here's the link https://www.skyhighhobby.com/free-plans
P.S. I'm not really a "jet dude", depends on mood :p I'm thinking about making scale SM.79 Sparviero as its shape should be easy to replicate with foam - box alike fuse, simple wings and stabs, only problems are canopy and engine cowlings

Last edited:

smiling albert

Ok
Been a long time but been learning how to use Adobe to produce a scaled down (80 cm wingspan ) Nerdnic me 109.
He has been very helpful.
Here are the files if anyone wants to have a go ,pictures to follow.Am using Nerdnics horizontal stab but not his vertical one as got to somehow get this to fit into rounded fuselage-so using original paper one
Going to need help with designing a battery hatch /getting Vstabaliser fitted correctly- if anyone can /still interested

Last edited:

smiling albert

Ok,
Here’s the wing so far,see attachment.
Realised I needed to cut out a square in the top half of the wing as the servo was a little too high when I tried to fold the wing over.
Not shown on the plans above but easy enough to do using paper plans
Moving onto the fuselage now.
I plan to use the centres of the formers to run a barbecue skewer/ dowel rod /strips of foam through,starting at the back so I can make sure the formers are perpendicular to it and hopefully give it some backbone.
Kind of like making a giant kebab!
Similar to what John Overstreet has done with his master Thunderbolt/Spitfire.
Not sure if dowel is too heavy and barbecue skewers too light,also round so difficult to attach servos to them.
Might use nerdnics Corsair idea so vstab is extension Of strip.,and could stick servos to strip
See his Corsair build for this.
https://www.nerdnic.com/content/2200mm-nncorsair-build

Attachments

• 881192AD-ED7B-4C46-A67D-373AE02C64CB.jpeg
    881192AD-ED7B-4C46-A67D-373AE02C64CB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 739474CC-1E6F-4D07-B7D8-EE02DD445AA3.jpeg
    739474CC-1E6F-4D07-B7D8-EE02DD445AA3.jpeg
    965.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
You could use a balsa dowel, or you could run balsa strips down the outside of the formers, they do that on the Guillows kits and other balsa builds. You are essentially making a skinned balsa model out of foamboard and card.
BBQ skewer is quite strong but flexes a bit. Be interesting to see how you resolve it.

smiling albert

Has anyone got any more of the paper me109 plans ?
Am finding Jakes desert one difficult to work with because of the fault mentioned above.
Thanks

smiling albert

Have decided to use nerdnics approach on his Corsair for the fuselage.
https://www.nerdnic.com/content/2200mm-nncorsair-build
I like the way of building the skeleton first,ie a central rib or keel and then adding formers and installing everything before finally adding the skin.
This means your vstab is definitely vertical and I can add the cut out shape shape he created in illustrator so my speedwing wing fits perfectly and so hopefully it has the right angle of attack and just makes building so much easier.
My big problem is that the paper plane plans I wanted to use have very thick lines when enlarged on illustrator and not sure how to cure this.
I’m not sure how much difference it makes.
If I can’t thin them out I’ll need to find another source for those skin shapes.
They look like nets for cones but not sure if you could make one from scratch using illustrator unless it can electronically wrap itself accurately around the former to get the right length and shape .
Am checking out suggestions of balsa designs.
Was wondering if anyone has done any illustrator ones already?
I have found a way of reducing the former size so it fits snug inside the skin.I have now realised that when you bend the foam you’re not squashing it much but stretching it so if I add a rectangle around the former ,5 mm smaller then use transform /enlarge (leaving the box ticked for corners) to drag the 4 corners inside the rectangle.
Also when you cut out the foam shape for the skin and then bend it ,because it has stretched you need to put the template back over it and trim off the excess if your former is to fit snug
It seems to work!
I am getting better at using illustrator thanks to nerdnics videos but have discovered my son uses it all the time so am going to get him involved!

JakeTheSloth

Hello back people! I've been thinking lately about making a warbird, but not just any warbird - a WW I Fokker E.V. The problem is, I don't have E.V, but I found Fokker D.VI amongst my models. So I downloaded inkscape (great for work with vectorized graphics, which those models are made of) and modified this model a little bit. I went for 1m basic wingspan, but hence I don't have much space, because it's cluttered with other planes, I also made 65cm wingspan mini version. I'm not sure how it'll work, but I'll attach files for you to see and give some feedback if you think that something may go wrong. The last and biggest attachment is original cardboard model without modifications. Cheers and stay healthy!

Attachments

• fokker main 65cm.pdf
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
  • fokker65 poster no1.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
  • fokker65 poster no2.pdf
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Fokker D.VI.pdf
    714.8 KB · Views: 0