Warped Foam Fix?

ResidualBacon

The trailing edges of both my FT Flyer (elevators) and my FT Delta (elevons) have become too warped to fly. The servos can't move the control surfaces enough anymore. The FT Delta had a coat of Minwax on it but maybe I didn't do it well enough? Both have been flown on dewy, wet mornings.

Is there any way to salvage these planes?

IMG_6877.JPG

IMG_6878.JPG

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Some have had humid weather tell us the same. They left their foam boards standing on end which warps it some. So they turned it over and let it naturally warp the other direction.

So you may be able to leave it in a humid room "bathroom" and try that... Not much help but it may work.

aiidanwings

Lay it in the sun, concave side up. When it has straightened cut a score mark from wing tip to wing tip and insert whatever thin rod you can find ( BBQ scewerers should work)then fill it in with glue. It adds weight, but not much.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Thin CF spars ought to do the trick.

Ironically it would probably be cheaper to just build a new airframe than it would be to use CF.

ResidualBacon

Thanks, I'll try some of these tricks and see what happens. From the looks of it, my FT Flyer has more problems than just a warped elevator. :)

I'm not terribly concerned about getting these planes flying again, but I'm building a Duster now and I'd really love to keep that one working for as long as possible.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The more complex wings and airframes will hold their shape better, but you'll still be left with tailfeathers warping form time to time. mild warp can be taken out with trim. a strong warp can be worked out using a hair dryer and a light application of elbow grease.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I've just asked my local hobby shop for elbow grease, but they don't seem to have it. Any hints, Crafty? ;)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Balu,

perhaps check with your local handyman . . . they always seem to have some back in the truck.