Was thinking of a competition for the best Franken plane

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I was pondering yeterday over my spare bits of foam, mis-shapes, scrapped sections, wings etc and general rubbish in my attic. The idea came to me to build a Franken plane, so I can put all these parts to good use rather than putting them in the bin.
Then another idea came to me in a light bulb moment :unsure:, make it a competition :geek:

Starting January 2021 - Build the most original franken plane (it must fly or its immediately disqualified), no previously built models either sorry. It must be unique ie not resembling any pesent planes. All material will be acceptable for construction.

Points for : Originality, air-worthiness, recycling and aerobatics.
It doesnt have to be powered - ie chuck glider or soarer would be allowed, even rubber powered and control lines are acceptable as long as it flies !

Cut off for the competition will 12th of Feb 2021

1st prize - adulation from your fellow builders.
2nd prize - commiseration for coming second.
3rd prize - the plans for the first and second place planes.

slowjo

Master member
I was pondering yeterday over my spare bits of foam, mis-shapes, scrapped sections, wings etc and general rubbish in my attic. The idea came to me to build a Franken plane, so I can put all these parts to good use rather than putting them in the bin.
Then another idea came to me in a light bulb moment :unsure:, make it a competition :geek:

Starting January 2021 - Build the most original franken plane (it must fly or its immediately disqualified), no previously built models either sorry. It must be unique ie not resembling any pesent planes. All material will be acceptable for construction.

It doesnt have to be powered - ie chuck glider or soarer would be allowed, even rubber powered and control lines are acceptable as long as it flies !

Who doesnt like a Corona Competition:cool:

Quinnyperks

Legendary member

Im in. I have some weird old
Scrap.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I may make a hybrid foam/balsa build out of parts laying around. destroyed the fuselage, but the wings and tail are intact.....

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Remember this?

268710_248ebcb988d7151b772c40cf3abfb3f2.jpg

Hoomi

Master member
I don't know how I missed this sooner, but I had an idea for the Cobble V2, so got started on it this afternoon. I've been trying to come up with a good use for this wing I won from a club raffle a couple of years ago, and my first attempt had some issues (including, I don't think my tail control surfaces were nearly big enough). The tail booms are two inexpensive carbon fiber arrows from Walmart. The wing sits atop a platform glued to match the middle dihedral, and the arrows are glued into a corner fold at each end. I plan to build a nose cap similar to the style used on the Tiny Trainer. Still need to mount the servos, and connect the two rudders together. I haven't decided yet whether to add landing gear, or just hand-launch and belly-in.
20210209_183357_resized.jpg

Hoomi

Master member
Finished up my Frankenplane tonight, as well as putting together a "take-off dolly," since I'm not confident in trying to hand-launch with that 9" pusher prop on the back, right in line with where my hand would have to be when tossing the plane. Don't know how well the dolly will work, but it's worth a try. Photos to follow tomorrow.

2jujube7

Finished up my Frankenplane tonight, as well as putting together a "take-off dolly," since I'm not confident in trying to hand-launch with that 9" pusher prop on the back, right in line with where my hand would have to be when tossing the plane. Don't know how well the dolly will work, but it's worth a try. Photos to follow tomorrow.

Frisbee launch? Like a flying wing.
I ran out of foamboard yesterday, so I just started gluing stuff together. Here's the result. I'm still trying to decide between a 50mm EDF or F pack motor, I think both might be overpowered.
3arrows.jpg