watch your batteries!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Won't a LiPo still burn without oxygen? Isn't that why you need a class D fire extinguisher?
If I can just find the video...
A friend of mine has done extensive testing and has most of the vids on youtube.
But like the crafty guy says, sand melts the bag, sand drops and puts out the fire.
Works as well out in the field as it does in the house.

Never have had a charging fire- have burned a couple in combat.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
OK- here's the video. I don't care what method you use. You are not going to have a happy wife if you have a charging fire inside your house... I think I'm moving my setup out to the garage ;)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Andre,

yeah, it's primarily a class D, since the lipo has it's own oxidizer, but the sand will help suppress and cool. By no means a perfect solution, but a clever one.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I've been paranoid about lipos since I picked up my first mini-heli, a half dozen 130mah 1s cells and an accucell 6 about a year and a half ago which is what got me hooked.

My first few times charging I did it in our stainless steel sink. I figured for the little batteries even if they did catch the sink would be big enough to contain the fire.

When I got some 2s and 3s 500mah batteries for my first plane build (FT Nutball!) I started charging outside on a large piece of marble inside a cinder block. I also picked up a lipo safe bag from HK but I've seen videos of them catching and burning so I don't trust it and only consider it a second layer of protection - I mostly use it to keep charged and discharged batteries separated when I fly. After using a bat it goes into the bag.

When I built my Axon and got some 3s 2200's I dug out an ammo can (just a 30cal) and use that for storing and transporting - but still do the charging outside in the cinder block on the marble.

Haven't had any problems yet. But I'm pretty anal about my lipos (other than crashing with them) I stay within eyesight while charging so I can watch for escaping magic smoke, if I have to charge inside (106 outside today) then I do it in the lipo bag in the sink, I use a timer in my TX and a lipo monitor so I don't overdischarge....so far so good. Haven't puffed a battery yet. I did smash one 2200 into a fairly unrecognizable blob (riding in the nose of my axon while I learned ailerons!) it's still outside in the cinder block because it's still almost full voltage but I don't trust it - looks like one of the pouches may have torn but the full voltage on all cells makes me question if it's really a tear or not and one of these days I may try cycling it with a camera going just out of curiosity...but I'd do so outside in a bunker :D

tramsgar

As in that video, make sure there are vents in any container, or you'll trade your lipo fire for a lipo explosion. That plastic bag with sand was ingenious!

Thanks for the Video jet, didnt know i needed that big of hole to vent ...just got my 50 cal. ammo box today think i might zip-tie a small bag of sand on the lid :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Thanks for the Video jet, didnt know i needed that big of hole to vent ...just got my 50 cal. ammo box today think i might zip-tie a small bag of sand on the lid :)

I tend to just leave the top of my ammo can open. There's nothing above it that will burn and nothing around it in case of something getting ejected. And no risk of explosion that way. Also means I can monitor the battery for puffing...but no putting your face over it just in case!

earthsciteach

My 0.50 cal box is on its way. I have some leftover ceramic tile that I will line it with. The sand bag idea is excellent and I'm going to try to work that into the contraption.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Ok I'll chime in from the fire fighter perspective. Class D is for metal fires. Class C is electrical. Now this might get a little long. The reason things burn is because of 4 things. Heat, fuel, O2 and a chemical reaction. If you take any of those away your fire goes out. You might know it as the fire triangle. Take a piece of wood and get it burning really good. If you take the piece of wood and put it eye level you will see a gap between the fire and the fuel source. That is your chemical reaction. Almost all materials have a point where they change their physical state and begin to off gas That is the "true" fuel that burns. If that material is cooled to the point it stops off gassing you have removed the fuel and fire goes out. Sand works to cool, and smother it some. The other idea I could see being used is take an extinguisher and slowly discharge it into a pail. You can then take the powder and bag it up to be used like the sand. There is always the possibility baking soda will work, just like the dry powder from the extinguisher.
I think that is enough technical mumbo jumbo from me

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thanks for the info Crash! So do you think baking soda would do better than sand? Perhaps a sand/soda mix?

Crazy idea: mount a CO2 cartridge with some type of heat releasing valve. Fire breaks the valve then you get a cold burst of free expanding CO2.

never mind, pressurized canisters near a fire probably a bad idea.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
If you could find a good fire sprinkler you could use the CO2 extinguisher and connect it to the sprinkler and put it in the container that way. With the fusible link in there the temp would melt it and the plug would be removed. The baking powder could work but also it would be a good neutralizer for the battery acid that leaks out. In all honestly the block and a baking powder/sand mix would be the best. The ammo can will heat up, the lipo bags can melt, the concrete will not burn, and the sand will smother and the b/s will kill the acid.

HEY GUYS I TOLD YOU ID KEEP YOU INFORMED ...SO HERES WHATS GOING ON!!
MY INS. CALLED TODAY AND SAID THERE PAYING THE WHOLE CAR OFF :) AND BY NEXT WEEK I SHOULD BE ABLE TO BUY ANOTHER CAR! , THEY ALSO WANTED ME TO GEV THEM THE NAME OF THE CHARGER AND BATTERY MAKER SO THEY CAN GO AFTER THEM.
THE CHARGER WAS A TURNIGY ACCUCEL-6 50W 6A BALANCER/ CHARGER
AND THE BATTERY WAS A THUNDER POWER 1350MHA 3S 11.1V G8 PRO LITE+ 25C LIPO
THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW !

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Well, we can change sympathy to congrats on the car. Alls well that ends well.

Now to the insurance company . . . good luck with that . . .

earthsciteach

Glad your car is being replaced. Please let us know the result of the insurance company's attempt to go after the battery and charger mfr, if you ever find out.

There trying to go after hobby kings Turnigy for the charger there saying it was what caused the fire but there having trouble getting hold of them