Water Resistant Flite Test Foam

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Water Resistant Flite Test Foam is available on the store as of 3/22/16
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-water-resistant-foam-board-by-adams-50-pck/

FTfoam_1WP_web.jpg

I'm starting this forum thread in the hopes that we can all capture and share everything anyone needs or wants to know about the new water resistant Flite Test foam. I was fortunate enough to get a box to start doing some building and testing with. I will share my thoughts and opinions about it here. I'll Add information to the first post as time goes on.

• Cost: $100.00/case of 50, or $2.00/sheet
  • Yes, it's brown
  • It weighs the same or slightly less than the white Flite Test Foam
  • It is the same thickness - 3/16" (.1875)
  • Sheet size is 20" x 30" (508 mm x 762 mm)
  • It's Paintable (scuff with 220/400 grit sandpaper for better paint adhesion)
  • You can still easily peel the paper off to bend the foam.

Currently available kits in water resistant foam board include:

• Bloody Baron
  • Bloody Wonder
  • Bushwacker
  • Explorer
  • Guinea Pig
  • Mighty Mini Arrow
  • Mighty Mini F-22 Raptor
  • Mighty Mini Pun Jet
  • Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer
  • Mighty Mini Vector
  • Otter

Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of people are wondering how does it compare in weight, durability and how well paint adheres to it?

Edit: I just watched the newest FliteTest video (mini f-22 and vector) and Peter said to sand it with I think 220 grit sandpaper before you paint it and it will adhere better, but the original question still stands.

Last edited:

Arbornaut

Yes, same as Ethanator 10000 said, and does it cut any differently than regular DTFB (will I need to potentially buy more blades when cutting as it may (or may not) dull the blades quicker than its non-water proof counterpart.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Great questions guys. Keep them coming.

I'm sure a lot of people are wondering how does it compare in weight and durability and how well paint adheres to it?

I weighed an entire box (50) sheets and found that they are very consistent weight-wise from sheet to sheet. The Average weight as 111 grams [3.9 ounces] /sheet. That is almost exactly the same weight as DTFB. By comparison, ROSS Foam Board weighs about 130 grams [4.6 ounces] / sheet.

Yes, same as Ethanator 10000 said, and does it cut any differently than regular DTFB (will I need to potentially buy more blades when cutting as it may (or may not) dull the blades quicker than its non-water proof counterpart.

I've done some cutting and beveling and I think that it actually cuts easier and cleaner than the white foam.

Is the paper glued on, or hot pressed?

Great question, that I will try to get an answer for from Josh. My guess is that it is hot press. The paper does peel off almost as easily as the white DTFB. I will try soaking some in water later tonight to see if the paper will lift on its own.

HilldaFlyer

FT Foam vs Ross and Readi-Board Testing

I'm going to pick up some sheets while at FF2016 and do the strength testing as I've said I would. If you have ideas for testing... put your ideas into this forum thread and I'll see what kind of head to head comparison I can do like the Adams vs Ross or the Super Strong Waterproof foam core. Here is the list so far:

• Strength - my standard 20" span and add weight until it fails as seen here.
  • Effort to peel - qualitative study to compare how difficult the paper peels from the foam.
  • Weight - Measure the weight and compare against Ross and Adams.
  • Warp factor - After getting wet. Wet one and both sides and measure how much the foam warps when dried.
  • Peeling - After getting wet, does it peel or not? Get foam core wet and try to peel while wet and after dried. Wetting will include total submersion for a specified time, spraying like rain and misting for humidity.
  • Painting - I don't like the brown paper... but if it is truly waterproof, we'll need ways to brighten the finish. I'll throw some paint on it and see how it looks... maybe even try some spray paint to see if it penetrates to the foam.

Please post your suggestions... on how you would test this new foam.
I'll add it to the list as I get suggestions or remove as others perform.

• Cold adhesion of hot glue. Ross vs Adams vs FT Waterproof. Make a T shape test piece. That will let you test adhesion to bare foam and to the various papers in one shot. Freeze them for x minutes. Take them out one by one and just smack them. Report which interface breaks cleanly from the hot glue (if any do). My only worry is whether or not the waterproofing might need scuffed up for cold flying builds. If they all come apart tearing the paper or foam that's a good thing.
  • Paint adhesion test. Spray paint each one carefully and with the same number of layers. Let them dry for x hours. Place some packing tape onto each surface after they dry. Press it down good. Leave a tab end (fold the tape over onto itself like a hatch tab). Hold them down similarly and rip that tape off. Again, worry is with waterproofing, do we need to scuff it or not.
  • Bend brittle test. Take pieces of regular Dollar tree Adams foam and a piece of the waterproof foam, and bend it until it breaks cleanly and compare. You can also vary the testing by removing some or all of the paper from the foam. Just taking a measurement of AUW of the foam would also give you a good indication of this (more weight = more density= more likely to be brittle).

dayve

Is it exclusively made for FT? Will it be available from our local Dollar Tree and/or hobby stores?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Any idea what procedure they're using to make it actually water proof for their water planes like the Sea Duck?

Hopefully they'll be selling the cases soon. I need to buy 1 or 3. :cool:

Is it exclusively made for FT? Will it be available from our local Dollar Tree and/or hobby stores?

I would doubt it, but I can't be sure. I think that its purpose is far too specific for it to be cost effective to manufacture lots of it for large retail distribution.

HilldaFlyer

They have been working with Adams to make it, so I bet it is available exclusively through Flite Test at this point (and maybe forever) in time. If local hobby shops want to carry it, sounds like they can get it stocked through Flite Test.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
They have talked about national distribution. If you watched today's video they even talk about wanting to get it into HobbyTown in the US. Josh wants it to be available to people locally without having to buy it by the case.

All us canadians sure will be happy. Josh Bixler replied to my comment on youtube saying that they plan on stocking it at Canadian Hobby Stores+online retailer Great Hobbies. No crazy shipping for this :)

Also, when I said that they probably wouldn't stock it elsewhere I was only talking about dollar trees. Sorry for missing the rest of your post.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
All us canadians sure will be happy. Josh Bixler replied to my comment on youtube saying that they plan on stocking it at Canadian Hobby Stores+online retailer Great Hobbies. No crazy shipping for this :)

That is really good news.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Ok, so it's the same ~4,8 mm thickness and similar weight. I have to admit I expected it to be heavier because - well brown paper usually is heavier =). They are the same 20x30" size too I assume?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Ok, so it's the same ~4,8 mm thickness and similar weight. I have to admit I expected it to be heavier because - well brown paper usually is heavier =). They are the same 20x30" size too I assume?

Yes same sheet size, 20" X 30"

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor

There's "Brown paper", and then there's "Brown paper" ;)

The paper on these boards has best been described as the same stuff used in packaging instant oatmeal. Thin, plastic infused, unbleached paper.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I know the two new mini speed build kits released yesterday will be cut from this foam, but any ideas if/when FT will start shipping the other speed build kits in this foam?