Water Rocket Plane

ufobug

Here's a small water rocket glider that I put together. The rocket motor is a one liter soda water bottle filled half full with water and pumped up to 100 psi with a bicycle pump. There's lots of information on making water rockets and launchers on the web. My launcher was originally made for garden variety rockets but it works fine for the RC rocket plane as well.

The main wing and nose fuselage are carved from from 1 inch thick pink foam from Home Depot. The hollow parts of the fuselage that hold the bottle are made from flat 1/4 inch thick blue (fan-fold) insulation foam. To roll the flat foam I used a hair dryer to heat the foam and curved it around a cardboard mailing tube. The fins are 1/4 blue foam, stiffened with some 1.7 mil laminating film. I glued it all together with polyurethane Gorilla Glue. The bottle just slides into the back of the fuselage.

Basic specs:
Length: 20 inches
Wingspan: 21 inches
Weight: 6.9 ounces
Servos: 2 Towerpro 9 gram servos
Battery: 4 cell NiMh 1/3 AAA

I did some hand glide tests to make sure it the CG was OK and that it would fly, set the elevons to a neutral position, pumped it up and let it go.

It actually works. The video was made on an 80 psi charge. Later flights were made with 100 psi that went a bit higher. We estimated the max height was 150 - 200 feet.

Attachments

• 100_2278.JPG
    100_2278.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
  • 100_2276.JPG
    100_2276.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • 100_2277.JPG
    100_2277.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 100_2275.JPG
    100_2275.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 259

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Love it! I've been meaning to build some water rockets for my daughter who's obsessed with space (and not even 4 yet. Tonight so blew me away by spotting the ISS on our walk. I thought she just saw a plane but when we got home I saw I had a notification on my phone about an ISS pass at the time she told me she saw it! Spent most of the rest of the walk talking about how she needs to eat healthy, exercise and study hard if she wants to become an astronaut :) )

Never thought to try and make a glider out of one even though I've got a couple of non RC rocket gliders sitting behind me as I type this.

Think I know what I'm doing tomorrow if I can get the time :D

Come to think of it I really need to dust off those rocket gliders and buy some motors for them...she's never got to see them fly.

And you must have really impressed xuzme720 as he didn't even share his favorite video in response ;) Maybe it's because despite the VVS and his comments to the contrary the videographer did keep it in frame the whole time :D

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
And you must have really impressed xuzme720 as he didn't even share his favorite video in response ;) Maybe it's because despite the VVS and his comments to the contrary the videographer did keep it in frame the whole time :D
Ok, since it's been requested! :)
Here you go! Love these guys...

earthsciteach

Welcome to the forum, ufobug! That is SOOOO cool! I built a water rocket launcher to use in my Physical Science classes and I have plenty of pink foam. Thanks for the inspiration!

maicoE

Since we are not capable of launching a real rocket, then maybe, we can at least just create our very own water rocket. You can do this especially during summer, when your kids are trying to find new outdoor entertainments and you want to stimulate their minds throughout the long break from school.

doensi