Waterproofing Electronics

Tsenkbeil

E3C2ECE0-FD5C-4698-AE46-BCC5D07BEF0E.png

Has anyone used this in the waterproofing of their electronics? I know FliteTest recommended Corrossion X in their video but I can not seem to find it locally. Any other suggestions y’all use on your motors and servos? Seems the epoxy route is best on esc’s.

Tsenkbeil

I have never even heard of Ballistol, I will definitely add that to the amazon cart lol seems like every time I order it’s more and more stuff for planes. I was under the impression the conformal coating wouldn’t work on esc’s. That’s great to know that it will, do you usually reapply heat shrink after you put it on?

w1lp33

I've never heard you can't use it on escs, I've never had an issue.... Yeah I usually really heat shrink, but thays more for piece of mind.

Ballistol and corrosion x are both gun oils, and there's about a dozen others that are similar. But Ballistol is great as an all purpose lubricant and cleaner... You can use it in wood, leather, metal... It's wonderful stuff :)

Tsenkbeil

Good to know, always use rem oil on my guns :unsure: might have to test that out. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
I use the Corrosion X a lot when reading the reviews when using conformal coating DO NOT apply to any type of plug in connector unless they are already connected even then many do not recommend coating these connections. Just something to look out for.

Tsenkbeil

I use the Corrosion X a lot when reading the reviews when using conformal coating DO NOT apply to any type of plug in connector unless they are already connected even then many do not recommend coating these connections. Just something to look out for.

I could see how the conformal coating wouldn't be a good idea on connectors for sure, thanks for the heads up!

w1lp33

Yeah, I use Ballistol or other oil on connections and plugs, conformal on everything that I don't want to send voltage through :)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I use dielectric gel on my connections and Corrosion x on open boards, nothing on sealed ESCs like a Phoenix Edge because there doesnt seem to be a way to get anything in them, but I guess you could spray or soak one down with CX. I only worry about this with water planes and then I try to seal them up so nothing gets in anyway.

Tsenkbeil

I use dielectric gel on my connections and Corrosion x on open boards, nothing on sealed ESCs like a Phoenix Edge because there doesnt seem to be a way to get anything in them, but I guess you could spray or soak one down with CX. I only worry about this with water planes and then I try to seal them up so nothing gets in anyway.

Yeah my tundra took a flip flying on the lake last weekend thankfully nothing was a total loss but it took me the better part of the afternoon to dry the esc out to where everything function properly so I am trying to prevent that experience again. Still learning about maneuvering on the water!

Brett_N

For ESC's I spray them with corrosionX and then put them inside a balloon, and zip tie the end of the balloon around the wires. Been using that method for over 20 years on cars, boats and everything in between and never lost an ESC to water.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I worry about the ESC overheating if I seal it up too much. My Super Dragon with a Castle Creations ESC, that sealed in the fuse with no air flow, is running at around 145f during medium aerobatic flight.

I have flipped the Tundra too, and flooded the ESC, the motor wouldn't even turn until the ESC dried out. I probably should soak it down with CX as that ESC isn't sealed up very good.

Tsenkbeil

Sealing them up worries me too from the heat standpoint, may try Brett_N's idea with the balloon so I can take it off when I have the wheels on.

Brett_N

Balloons will work on the ESC AND on the RX. I apologize - hadn't had any coffee yet and was thinking RX and typing ESC in original post. I wrap all of my RX's in a balloon. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

For the ESC think of it as another layer of shrink wrap. But - an easier way to seal up the ESC's since wires come out of both ends is a couple beads of silicone caulk on both ends, and then some liquid tape over that. Aluminum foil works extremely well too, and acts as an additional heat-sink

Bricks

Master member
So would w-40 work for servos?

Do not use WD-40 it dries out and will get terribly sticky. Be better off with such things as gun oil, sewing machine oil or Corrosion X even 3in1 oil would be better.

Morgan

So would w-40 work for servos?

Do not use WD-40 it dries out and will get terribly sticky. Be better off with such things as gun oil, sewing machine oil or Corrosion X even 3in1 oil would be better.
So sewing machine oil or gun oil?

Tsenkbeil

So sewing machine oil or gun oil?
In the video they recommend corrosion x HD I believe but I’ve got a couple of different products ordered I’m going to try out. Hopefully in a week or two I’ll have some idea of the effectiveness of each. I’m trying corrosion x and HD along with Ballistol and the CRC stuff at the top of the post. May even try Rem-oil since I have it on hand all the time.

Brett_N

for servo's - it's a bit time consuming, but worth it to take the top off and pack it with white-lithium grease. Especially metal gear ones.

WD-40 is only good AFTER something gets wet. Whil eit does inhibit corrosion, it does dry out and get sticky as mentioned.