We had a thought in my a&p class today

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'll go out on a limb and say depending on rudder power, airspeed etc, it could spin circles like a frisbee. Two motors and rudder sounds like overkill.
Yeah probably either two motors or the rudder and one motor with elevons. Either would potentially work.

Piotrsko

Master member
@Vimana89: since nobody else did it I built(?) a saucer wing. balance at 30% test glides ok in back yard. any flying suggestions? you'll have to trust me on this because I dont do face book

Attachments

• 20191107_131158.jpg
    20191107_131158.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
@Vimana89: since nobody else did it I built(?) a saucer wing. balance at 30% test glides ok in back yard. any flying suggestions? you'll have to trust me on this because I dont do face book
Hey that looks great! I've been busy with a lot of projects and not a lot of spare motors at the moment, so didn't really jump on this this idea yet. That tail plane will add some good pitch stability. Suggestions? Not much, should be very straight forward to fly. If you have not flown a low aspect plane like it before, the maneuverability and vert/high alpha ability might surprise you a little. What you have there should be really gentle and fly pretty good slow, yet turn and handle really responsively.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Just a bit odd for me because experience in my head says flat wings don't turn with rudder. Should be stable big battery hung way low versus centerline. Charging stuff, betcha it's windy tomorrow.
Can't see if it has ailerons or elevons. If you are going only RET with a flat wing you will have trouble turning properly.

Vimana89

Legendary member
If all you have is elevator and rudder, that will only do flat spins/yaws and will not be capable of banking. If you add some dihedral to the wing, it will then bank on RET, but won't have perfectly flat spins and yaw. If you want the best of both worlds you will need 4ch, but if you go 3ch, it's either flat AET yank and bank or dihedral RET.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Just a bit odd for me because experience in my head says flat wings don't turn with rudder. Should be stable big battery hung way low versus centerline. Charging stuff, betcha it's windy tomorrow.
Let me know how this goes or if you have a question with something. You can drop me a PM if you'd like. Still not sure what sort of control setup you had, just want to make sure you have it set up so it can bank properly. It's cool to see your interest in trying this sort of plane, and your build looks really nice, and I'd hate to see it fly bad because of a small design flaw, although that's no problem if it does, it will be an easy fix. I think you have the potential there for a great flying plane that will be a lot of fun.

Piotrsko

Master member
So saucer stick flew well, actually turned and banked on rudder, powered and glide, (suprise!) maybe because of 10 degrees incidence the slow stick uses. Flew faster than stock wing, rolled and crashed in high alpha which was fatal to gear drive.

So for experiment not bad, for me it was a thought exercise. May have to buy another motor and esc to pursue further.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So saucer stick flew well, actually turned and banked on rudder, powered and glide, (suprise!) maybe because of 10 degrees incidence the slow stick uses. Flew faster than stock wing, rolled and crashed in high alpha which was fatal to gear drive.

So for experiment not bad, for me it was a thought exercise. May have to buy another motor and esc to pursue further.
Cool!

Piotrsko

Master member
I'm not paranoid but I was classified too long, the EULA just makes me annoyed about all the data you give away for their benefit. everybody has hooks in all your other software too. Took me about a year to clean up my hardware so it doesn't leak as much.

Last edited: