Weekend FT 3D

Homey

Elite member
Hi all,

Another quick blast of winter here in the great white north, so yet more building.
Decided to go with the FT 3D.
Coro fuse for kicks. Also CF spar for the wings. Magnet hatch. I have the time and it keeps me sane! My flying area is on a ranch, so distancing is no problem and all the spectators have 4 legs or feathers.
Should be able to maiden this week when it warms up!

Cheers,

Peter

20200405_162658.jpg

Homey

Elite member
So am I the only one that has had challenges balancing this plane?
I had to make a battery holder like the one on the FT P40 to get things balanced slightly nose heavy.

Peter

Homey

Elite member
Hey, great looking airplane!!

I'm planning to build the FT3D soon. What's the best power setup?
Hey CFF that's up to you! Your handle won't match this plane! Lol.
I just used a cheapo 1100 kv with a 30a esc. I'm swinging a 1047 slo fly prop. Tons of thrust.
Had to make a custom battery holder like the one that's on the P40. Only way I could get it to balance! I'm impressed with the coro fuse as well. Very firm.
If you want me to post pics of that pod, please let me know.

Best regards,

Peter

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Hey Peter,

Pictures would be great! The power setup I was going to use is: 2628 1400kv motor, 40A ESC, 9x6 prop, and a 2200mah battery. All that is on my FT-22 right now though, so I will have to retire it if I want to build the FT3D.

Do you think a 9x6 prop is fine? I'm planning to use the airplane for learning basic aerobatics.

Jeremy

Homey

Elite member
Hey Peter,

Pictures would be great! The power setup I was going to use is: 2628 1400kv motor, 40A ESC, 9x6 prop, and a 2200mah battery. All that is on my FT-22 right now though, so I will have to retire it if I want to build the FT3D.

Do you think a 9x6 prop is fine? I'm planning to use the airplane for learning basic aerobatics.

Jeremy
I think a 9x6 will be perfect!
I'll post pics in a little while.

P

Homey

Elite member
That's a good idea, makes sense and has the space. What size of battery are you putting in there, a 2200?
I used an 1800 today, but it will fit a 2200. I was putting vortex generators on the underside of the wings only to discover the ones on the top of the wing were put on the wrong way! Lol
I hope putting them on the right way on one side doesn't mess things up! I also put stabilizers on the wings. Looks pretty cool at least. I'm such a kid with this hobby. Love it.

Peter

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I used an 1800 today, but it will fit a 2200. I was putting vortex generators on the underside of the wings only to discover the ones on the top of the wing were put on the wrong way! Lol
I hope putting them on the right way on one side doesn't mess things up! I also put stabilizers on the wings. Looks pretty cool at least. I'm such a kid with this hobby. Love it.

Peter
You said it was your first 3D plane, I watched your video. You flew it really well for your first. You even recovered it a couple times, well done. Looks like a solid build with the coroplast fuse as well. As far as how it flies i think you have the CG bang on. Its a plane that is designed to fly slow but it wont fly like a cub or storch. The larger tail surfaces help keep the plane aloft some but only when they are in a positive attitude which makes the plane, especially because of the symmetrical wing needs a little more incidence to fly, look like its dragging its A$$. Really it isn't. If that flight was less then half throttle then you got a 3D machine there, you just need to fly a little faster to get it to look and fly like a plane you would be used to. If anything in some ways it would make a good trainer. If you have the ability to do mixing in your Tx you could do a throttle elevator mix where at slower speeds the elevator pushes down 5-10% to try to level it out some.

I know on my FT-3D when I checked the CG i would have to do it upside down and right side up to find the balance point. I had VG's on mine as well and I don't think it matters which way they face, they just interrupt the flow of air to slow it down over the airfoil.