Well, my first build flew... A bit.

flyinsparky

On my maiden flight I had a really hard time just getting it under control. Maybe my rates are still not restrictive enough for me. I think I needed to trim the elevator so it wasn't trying to pull up so much but I wasn't able to even get my thumb off the stick to do any trimming. Next, possibly increase the incidence angle??? (Let me know if that sounds right, as I am open to suggestions for sure.) I had to take the sound out because my 10 year old camera crew was jabbering on with all sorts of encouragement.

My battery was as far forward as I could get it and the CG was holding the plane just level, not tipping forward as shown in the build video.

All in all, I'll take it as a success, and once I get more rubber bands and propellers, I'll try for a bit calmer of a day as well.

Scary

Great job hanging on to it. Definitely tail heavy, could try a bigger battery for more nose weight, are a piece of lead. The simple scout is a far more stable plane for starting out,can use what you have as far as electrics in the cub

WillL84

Agreed with a bit tail heavy. I had to add 8oz of steel fishing weights in the very nose of my Legacy to get it to balance properly.

Piotrsko

Master member
Got down thrust? How about more expo? Looks like way too much stick movement or surface movement, but you want decent throw at the end of travel so also check how far the surfaces move. Looks about right for what I fly but I don't fly trainers and I fly upside down. You don't ever need 8 oz noseweight. I never need more than 1 1/2.

Bricks

Master member
Looks like you have the basics down ( as you hung on to it ) may need to add some expo or lower your throws, as it looks like your way over controlling.

Droneflyer200

Yes I found I had to add about an ounce of weight to my simple cub and drop the throughs down to 50% your video definitely looks tail heavy that will make controls exaggerated and touchy I didn't even get that far with my first Simple Cub it was just like your plane. Make sure your balanced slightly nose heavy and cut back on your control throughs set up your dual rates and expo as per the plans 30% expo is kind of standard for FT planes. I use 50% throughs as my low rate setting but check with the through Gage that come on the plans or SBK. also you can try putting some washers under the motor mount to add a few degrees of right and down thrust.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...My battery was as far forward as I could get it and the CG was holding the plane just level, not tipping forward as shown in the build video...
+1 on tail heavy, I’d suggest moving the CG forward 1/4 inch. May need to add some nose weight to get it there.

When you get the plane trimmed out it will fly much easier.

flyinsparky

Great job hanging on to it. Definitely tail heavy, could try a bigger battery for more nose weight, are a piece of lead. The simple scout is a far more stable plane for starting out,can use what you have as far as electrics in the cub
Thanks, new battery on the way. I have a mini scout built as well that is just about ready... may try building an explorer with my son.

flyinsparky

Yes I found I had to add about an ounce of weight to my simple cub and drop the throughs down to 50% your video definitely looks tail heavy that will make controls exaggerated and touchy I didn't even get that far with my first Simple Cub it was just like your plane. Make sure your balanced slightly nose heavy and cut back on your control throughs set up your dual rates and expo as per the plans 30% expo is kind of standard for FT planes. I use 50% throughs as my low rate setting but check with the through Gage that come on the plans or SBK. also you can try putting some washers under the motor mount to add a few degrees of right and down thrust.
I used the guage for Low and had the rates down at 50 and the expo at 35 but it felt like I was fighting it the whole time. I'll try a 2200 battery instead of a 1300 and adjust rates and expo a little more, until I find my sweet spot.

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah looks tail heavy and some over controlling. To me the Simple Cub can be kind of a tough bird at times, so big congrats for keeping it airborne as long as you did.

Are you running 3 channel I'm assuming? Go with the recommended throws/high and low rate settings that FT suggests with the model...especially if it's set for 3 channel. Too much more can send it all over the sky. And add some expo in there....expo is your friend too. Crank it up when starting out until you get a feel for the plane and then you can back it off once you get comfortable.

flyinsparky

Yeah looks tail heavy and some over controlling. To me the Simple Cub can be kind of a tough bird at times, so big congrats for keeping it airborne as long as you did.

Are you running 3 channel I'm assuming? Go with the recommended throws/high and low rate settings that FT suggests with the model...especially if it's set for 3 channel. Too much more can send it all over the sky. And add some expo in there....expo is your friend too. Crank it up when starting out until you get a feel for the plane and then you can back it off once you get comfortable.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm really new to the hobby and I've only really flown my Night Vapor and it is probably not the best thing to set as a baseline because it's really forgiving.
Yes, it's just a 3 channel with 35 expo but I'll give it some more. (I'll also add ailerons once I get comfortable with 3 channel.)