Well, that doesn't sound right...

Prowler901

That's the sound of magnets letting go. :eek:

This has happened twice with this motor. Fortunately both happened before it got in the air. I've applied some Loctite CA to all the magnets now. If it happens a third time I'll be buying a new motor for sure.

Todd

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah it sounds like a lose magnet! Did you see the lose magnet when you opened up the motor for glueing them back with the loctite?

Prowler901

Yeah. There were two visibly out of position and loose the first time. Just one the second time. So, I hit them all with the loctite. She spun up ok afterward. But, I still have to run a full speed test on it before I put it in the air again.

Todd

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Sounded like those chinese toy guns with sounds LOL

Sorry about your motor, I hope you get it fixed.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor

That's the sound of magnets letting go. :eek:

This has happened twice with this motor. Fortunately both happened before it got in the air. I've applied some Loctite CA to all the magnets now. If it happens a third time I'll be buying a new motor for sure.

Todd

That's exactly what it sounds like when the ESC timing isn't set properly for the motor... But if you had loose magnets, I'm sure that's the problem.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
When you open up the motor, first try to sandpaper the place where you wanna glue the magnet so that the glue has some grip! That might help if haven´t done that yet.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
This time do it with a little more confidence. I was feeling a bit nervous for you, just from the sound of your voice in that first clip! :D

Prowler901

This time do it with a little more confidence. I was feeling a bit nervous for you, just from the sound of your voice in that first clip! :D

hehe... yeah, that was supposed to be the maiden flight :) So, I was a bit nervous. I have flown her since then and she flew beautifully. I felt much better after that. But, that same day I tried to put her up again and had the second magnet failure.

I checked the timing last night on both this Mustang and my FMS P-40. They are both using Turnigy Plush 60A ESC's. I tried the timing on Low, Medium, and High. Low was the best setting for them. Medium and High just caused the motors to sputter and shake.

Todd

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
I checked the timing last night on both this Mustang and my FMS P-40. They are both using Turnigy Plush 60A ESC's. I tried the timing on Low, Medium, and High. Low was the best setting for them. Medium and High just caused the motors to sputter and shake.

Todd

Are you using epoxy to remount the magnets?

Prowler901

I'm using Loctite 410. That was recommended on a website that sells motor building kits. Loctite 410 is similar to CA, but it is rubber toughened and also handles high temperatures.

Todd