Well the F-22 flew...... sort of

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Finally had time to get out and fly. I tossed it up...... It went down. I think the cg might be too nose heavy and had to use a 7x5 prop since my 8" broke. So ill be looking for a bigger pusher prop and ill adjust the cg a little better. I even went full on the elevons and still no help. Ill keep trying. I've got an idea for a turbine version. I have one laying around from the trainer my boy crashed.

MrClean

Don't guess where your CG is, KNOW where it is. Use a CG sling, period. Shoot, the example pictured is an F-22. How convenient.

I didn't invent the thing, I don't make money on the thing. They are FREE with the exception that you have to have string strong enough to support the plane and that can be anything from kite string to old shoestrings to right off the rack 1/8 inch no tangle chord (that actually would be best). Plumb bobs don't have to be fancy either. A length of kite string with a loop tied in one end, then pass that loop through and around a 1/4x20 nut and Viola you've got yourself a plumb bob.

Hang the thing level, hang the plumb bob from the same point and it will point, EXACTLY where your center of gravity currently is. Then move your pack around or add weight to get it to where it's supposed to be. You should never ever have to wonder if the cg is right if you are flying a proven design that lists where the cg is. You should never EVER trust your fingers and you should definitely never pay more then 20 cents for a full functioning, accurate method to check your cg.

That being said, shoot, I wanted good videos. If the 7 inch prop wasn't enough thrust your plane should have just mushed forward and landed level. Low thrust from a 7 inch prop should equal low power on the 8.

That CG thing just really bites newbies and us old timers too when we get complacent. I watched a hobby shop owner, when I was 17, take a brand new Nosen P-51 up for it's maiden flight. I watched that sucker just snap into a flat spin on his first pass, go inverted flat spin and just total itself. Where was the CG? I forgot to check. The next guy, doing a mirror build, bobbled on takeoff. He got his down with a broken prop. Identical bird. Where was his CG? 3 inches back from where it was supposed to be. I'm surprised it didn't go into a spin taking it out of the van. It'll get us all so don't feel bad, but I HATE IT.

Cuzz it's bitten me before too.

Check it out buddy. You didn't list a bunch of damage so I'm hoping for the best.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
No real damage except where the prop came in contact with the board when it shifted on the prop saver. Going to throw on the 9x5 that's recommended for the motor, find the cg and try it again. I'm also looking to build another using the motor I took out of my trainer my son and I destroyed. If it could push that big honking foam thing this F-22 should be cake for it.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Here is the combo I'm using

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 36

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Well it would be flying but my dumba** while running inside slipped and smashed it in half. So that project will be on hold till I get more foam and hardware. I still have the ft flyer and nutball. Funny thing is the nutball seems less controllable then the ft flyer