Went top gun too fast

McAviator

So there I am with my first 4ch plane. No simulator time or other 4ch experience but man could I make my 3ch simple cub do some mean loops. I built a simple stick, a classic and sleek looking craft. Get to the field on a fresh pack and after some minor overcorrections get the feel for this slippery devil and start doing rolls, loops, and careful recoveries. Feeling like an ace I bring it down and give myself a few minutes to bask in the glory of my skills before shoving the second pack under the hatch. Hand launch like a boss amd send it into the great blue yonder. Time to cut those rolls short and try inverted. Took it up the proverbial three mistakes high and flipped it over. After a quick dip in altitude I managed to correct, hold it for a second, and roll out. Well that wasn’t so bad, let’s do it again but lower…started rolling, wingtip went down, overcorrected and watched the best cartwheel I’ve ever seen an aircraft do

Moral of the story, have fun, fly 3 mistakes high, and enjoy the crashes even if it’s fresh off the workbench.

Attachments

• DEC066E4-1E93-44C6-908A-329A42875CE5.jpeg
    DEC066E4-1E93-44C6-908A-329A42875CE5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 37D5B18A-8A20-48B8-B841-A444620983E6.jpeg
    37D5B18A-8A20-48B8-B841-A444620983E6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
So there I am with my first 4ch plane. No simulator time or other 4ch experience but man could I make my 3ch simple cub do some mean loops. I built a simple stick, a classic and sleek looking craft. Get to the field on a fresh pack and after some minor overcorrections get the feel for this slippery devil and start doing rolls, loops, and careful recoveries. Feeling like an ace I bring it down and give myself a few minutes to bask in the glory of my skills before shoving the second pack under the hatch. Hand launch like a boss amd send it into the great blue yonder. Time to cut those rolls short and try inverted. Took it up the proverbial three mistakes high and flipped it over. After a quick dip in altitude I managed to correct, hold it for a second, and roll out. Well that wasn’t so bad, let’s do it again but lower…started rolling, wingtip went down, overcorrected and watched the best cartwheel I’ve ever seen an aircraft do

Moral of the story, have fun, fly 3 mistakes high, and enjoy the crashes even if it’s fresh off the workbench.

Almost did the same thing with my late father’s 1.5m Timber on Sunday…I rolled it, was flying inverted, and my brain said, “Pull back to get it right side up.”

Did that, panicked a little, and brought the plane towards me, aimed right at the pilots on the line. That’s when I just decided to roll it and throttle up, recovering and aiming it well away from me, fortunately saving it from a crash, which I would have never forgiven myself from.

I think I’m going to just leave the big Timber to doing 1 wheel touch n’ go runs down the runway, and maybe a loop or two.