Westland Whirlwind

jack954

1560382377515.png

I came about this plane from a game I played and wanted to build it a while ago, but decided to wait since I was still a newbie at and designing. After building a few ft designs and making my own, I decided to give it a try.

I looked around and found a thread on rc groups about it and saw a few builds as well as a set of balsa plans. I scaled it down to a 4 ft wingspan.

Here's a few pics from the build:
Fuselage
IMG_4801.JPG
Nacelles
IMG_4814.JPG IMG_4813.JPG holds a swappable power pod I designed originally for a tigercat
Wing test fit
IMG_4905.JPG IMG_4917.JPG IMG_4918.JPG IMG_4919.JPG
I left the escs in nacelles and made adapters for the battery from deans to those automotive bullet connectors. Now if I build another twin I don't have to make an esc longer or buy battery connectors online.
maiden day
IMG_4926.JPG
IMG_4927.JPG

Whirlwind along with my Irish Air Corps Spitfire.
Power setup:
2x30 amp kms esc
2x Tower Hobbies 30-35-1000 Brushless Aircraft Motor
3700 maH 3s zippy lipo
set of hobbyking albatross 10x8 3 blade props

I was surprised how well it flew. It needed some up trim. It didn't seem to have enough elevator throw so their were a few close passes until I switched to high rates. The 3700mah was a little to big so I had to ad 3 AA batteries in the tail. Still need some finishing touches such as canopy, paint job, and fuselage nose Unfortunately no plans I just measured and cut. I will try to figure out and post the maiden video soon.

Attachments

• IMG_4833.JPG
    IMG_4833.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hoomi

Master member
That's a WWII vintage plane I don't think I'd ever heard of before. Any idea how many were built and/or served?

Nicely done on adapting it to foamboard!

jack954

Thanks guys!
That's a WWII vintage plane I don't think I'd ever heard of before. Any idea how many were built and/or served?

Nicely done on adapting it to foamboard!
It looks like only about 100 aircraft were built.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This seems to be one of the few squadrons who used them.

One of my favorite planes! I have a half build mini one sitting in my shed, good job anyhow!
That would be cool to see

Hoomi

Master member
If only 100 were built, that explains why it's not better known.

It looks rather like the Bristol Beaufighter's little brother.