Solved Wet Grass and DTFB

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That looks awesome! You might want to reinforce the skewer joints. As nice as hot glue is, landing can stress an break the weakest joints. Wrap some strong thread around the joints and spread some additional hot glue across the thread. Cheap and easy.
Yea I know, I just wanted to see how it would turn out for weight and how it would fly. Like I said the next one I will scale up and use CA. I have dine the thread wrap before and used CA to soak the thread as well, super strong
20190815_165403.jpg

Takes a bit of time but it is so worth it.

@BATTLEAXE How does the wright flyer fly as a chuck glider?
It turned out so light that you have to give it a light toss or the nose will balloon up and flip it over, but if you get the toss right, the glide slope is slight and stable. I imagine that if you tossed it from a second story balcony it would get some good distance. If it scaled up to say a 25-30" wing span and put twin A pack on it with 6" slow fly props it would be a great indoor flyer.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yea I know, I just wanted to see how it would turn out for weight and how it would fly. Like I said the next one I will scale up and use CA. I have dine the thread wrap before and used CA to soak the thread as well, super strong View attachment 150582
Takes a bit of time but it is so worth it.

It turned out so light that you have to give it a light toss or the nose will balloon up and flip it over, but if you get the toss right, the glide slope is slight and stable. I imagine that if you tossed it from a second story balcony it would get some good distance. If it scaled up to say a 25-30" wing span and put twin A pack on it with 6" slow fly props it would be a great indoor flyer.
Or you could do leave it as is and do something like @FoamyDM did with his micro P-38...

L Edge

Master member
That's what I'm afraid of. No paint. No protection. I want to take my full fleet out. It's not worth it if I don't have any planes left to fly.

There is one other factor that you should consider and that is your transmitter when it is raining or snow. If you do fly in the rain, have a covering over it. Had an experience where water seeped down into the gimbals and guess what, it can short out the system and result , I lost a Q500 racing plane.

Same with thunderstorms, flying a heli next to one company building and we had an approaching one, heard the rumble so kept going. Still sunny. All of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, a bolt of lightning hit the air conditioner on the roof. Scared the crap out of me, couldn't get the chopper down fast enough and will never do that again.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
There is one other factor that you should consider and that is your transmitter when it is raining or snow. If you do fly in the rain, have a covering over it. Had an experience where water seeped down into the gimbals and guess what, it can short out the system and result , I lost a Q500 racing plane.

Same with thunderstorms, flying a heli next to one company building and we had an approaching one, heard the rumble so kept going. Still sunny. All of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, a bolt of lightning hit the air conditioner on the roof. Scared the crap out of me, couldn't get the chopper down fast enough and will never do that again.
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Jackson T

Elite member

What happened to the chopper?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
You could have hired me or @BATTLEAXE to land your chopper. I‘m sure either of us would have gotten it down faster than you - whether or not there a thunder storm to scare us!!:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

K3V0

Elite member
Make plastic kitchen wrap panels that match the planes lines. Then tack them down tightly with ca glue. You could even use wax paper or equivalent. But maybe the tape job over all is the easiest.
However you decided to deal with it I hope you’re out flying and getting your fix in 🤪

I’m in a similarly damp boat @buzzbomb, it’s been rainy and wet here. I took my storch out after a storm and it still got plenty wet from taxiing/landing on wet pavement. It’s a painted plane but even so, some parts got a little soft. It’s been home and dry for a week now so it’s back together and ready to go. I’m excited to fly the mini mustang I’m putting together for @The Hangar ’s Big Bang of Mustangs thread but, again, rain! I bit the bullet and picked up some min wax so it’ll be a day or two before flying that one.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Make plastic kitchen wrap panels that match the planes lines. Then tack them down tightly with ca glue. You could even use wax paper or equivalent. But maybe the tape job over all is the easiest.
However you decided to deal with it I hope you’re out flying and getting your fix in 🤪

I’m in a similarly damp boat @buzzbomb, it’s been rainy and wet here. I took my storch out after a storm and it still got plenty wet from taxiing/landing on wet pavement. It’s a painted plane but even so, some parts got a little soft. It’s been home and dry for a week now so it’s back together and ready to go. I’m excited to fly the mini mustang I’m putting together for @The Hangar ’s Big Bang of Mustangs thread but, again, rain! I bit the bullet and picked up some min wax so it’ll be a day or two before flying that one.
It’s been just wet and nasty here as well. I flew my bushwacker and that was fine of course since it’s made from Flitetest foam board, but I also flew my spitfire which is dtfb and the spray paint seemed to protect it a lot. I am buying Minwax for my P-38 though...