WHAT A DEAL!

RoyBro

Mentor
Yesterday I decided to prioritize my Amazon Wish List, so I had a better chance of getting something I really wanted, instead of a tie (ties are for funerals). I moved to the top of my list, a Dremel Moto Saw, which is kind of like a hand held or clamp down scroll saw. I'm thinking this would be good to cut the hobby ply and stuff.

I noticed that one of Amazon's Marketplace partners had dropped their price from $90 to $70. So I decided to check the local hardware stores. Home Depot - nope still $99. Lowes - "Add to shopping cart to see price". So I tried to add it to my shopping cart... "Please select Sore Pickup or Truck Delivery"... Store Pickup... 1 available at the Bozeman, MT store. I live in Billings, MT about 144 miles from Bozeman. Aww heck, go ahead and add it. When I checked the shopping cart, it said $55.20 store price, but it was 50% off until November 20, so it was $27.60. $27.60!

So either this was a mistake, or I was going to drive to Bozeman this weekend. I ordered it.

Still not believing my good fortune, I guessed that it had to be an open box return, or incomplete or something. So this morning, I called the Bozeman Lowes. The rep said that it was right in front of her and it was brand new in the box and waiting for me.

So guess what...?

ROAD TRIP!!!​

rockets4kids

Would they not ship it at that price? I'll bet you'll be paying more in gas than the Dremel itself.

Before you take that road trip, be sure to up on how Dremel's quality has dropped seriously in recent years.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
It's available in a Lowe's that's 66 miles from my location for $27.60 too...still not worth the drive. $25 in gas for the round trip and my Saturday morning wasted. I'd totally order it if they shipped though.

Last edited:

DDSFlyer

Great...not only does Flite Test make me buy all of these planes, now the Forums are showing up with ideas to buy more stuff!
Thanks...

MrClean

It's available in a Lowe's that's 66 miles from my location for $27.60 too...still not worth the drive. $25 in gas for the round trip and my Saturday morning wasted. I'd totally order it if they shipped though.

You got it wrong. Bozeman is THE party town. Load the wife up, run out for a great weakend with only one "Hey, lets stop at Lowes" and its still 27.50!

RoyBro

Mentor
I'll bet you'll be paying more in gas than the Dremel itself.

You got it wrong. Bozeman is THE party town. Load the wife up, run out for a great weekend with only one "Hey, lets stop at Lowes" and its still 27.50!

No partying for us, my nine year-old daughter and the wife is coming (to make sure I don't bring anything else home). So we are going to make the trip educational. The Museum of the Rockies is in Bozeman as is the American Computer Museum. Of course we'll be going to Museum of the Rockies. The Computer Museum would be just for me. :(

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
No partying for us, my nine year-old daughter and the wife is coming (to make sure I don't bring anything else home). So we are going to make the trip educational. The Museum of the Rockies is in Bozeman as is the American Computer Museum. Of course we'll be going to Museum of the Rockies. The Computer Museum would be just for me. :(

Computer musem or dremel saw? Tough choice, but I think you're comming out better.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
OK, I bought one...it was $27.60 + tax. They had one in stock in a Lowe's I'm going to be driving near next week.

RoyBro

Mentor
I guess we think differently about driving in Montana. Towns aren't up against each other, and long drives are the norm. Driving 60 miles to Redlodge for lunch and then taking the long way home is just a nice afternoon. I also work with some folks who commute from Redlodge to Billings daily.

N222NY

What a great tip! I just scored one!!! Not every store in the area had them in stock and the ones that did kept coming up $55 and change...till I found the mystery store....$27.60!!! Problem is...its 75 miles away...and allthough I do love a good road trip...I couldnt get that kind of time today....so....I called the manager at the Lowes 9 miles away and asked him if he'd price match....and he DID. After a phone call to the other store to verify, he called me back and said yup...come on and get it its at the front desk! I love me a good bargain hunt! I even asked the manager, how can you guys make any money at this point...he laughed and said I dont know what the heck theyre doing out there(at the far store)! LOL Looks like a GREAT saw!!! Review to follow...

Thanks again out there in BIG SKY country!

Shawn

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
Bozeman Road Trip to get Dremel Moto Saw

If I were to add up everything I spent on the road trip to Bozeman to pick up the Moto Saw, it would indeed have been a quite expensive tool. But as I said previously, we in Montana tend to look upon driving long distances differently, and here's why.

BozemanTrip1.jpg

While in Bozeman, we stopped at Lowes to pick up the saw, then stopped and had lunch at Old Chicago Pizza where we were able to watch the first half of the MSU (Bozeman Bobcats) Washington game. I wouldn't have minded watching the rest of the game and sampling a few more brews (the Kettle House Cold Smoke® Scotch Ale was excellent brewed in Montana). So we left at half-time and went to the Museum of the Rockies. We pretty much let my nine-year-old daughter dictate the agenda there, so most of our time was spent with the dinosaur exhibits. But along the way she spied this gem and pointed it out for her dad.

Plane at MOR.jpg

It is a Pietenpol Air Camper, which is apparently a plan built plane using a Model A engine for the power plant. I was wondering why the radiator was stuck in the fact of the passenger.

Here is the website for the Pietenpol family.

piet2v_32fgm.jpg

Our trip back was mostly after dark, but since my cataract surgeries, driving in the dark is no problem once more.
All in all, it was a good day trip. My wife and daughter both had a good time getting out of town. Getting a $99 list Dremel Moto Saw for $27.60 was just a bonus.

:cool:

RoyBro

Mentor
You haven't used it yet!?! After all that, I'd be all over a test cut or six!

I'll get there. It was too late by the time we got home to do much (had to put the girl to bed, after which there is a power tool ban). And today, we had to fit in all the chores and such that didn't get done yesterday, between football games (watching football is like a budget, if I miss watching a football game, it may become expected that I miss watching football for reasons not of my choosing).

RoyBro, looks like you had a nice trip!

That picture of the mountains is really great!

That was taken one handed coming up on Livingston MT. On the way from Billings to Bozeman, we pass four or five different mountain ranges; the Crazy Mountains, Absaroka Range, Beartooth Mountains, Bridger Range, and others. It really is a nice drive.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Good deal! Checked the website and none available at my local Lowes, they do have one at the $27 price in Palm Desert...but that's a bit long of a drive...I will be going through there in a few weeks though so if your review is positive and they still have one at that price by then. Price ends 3 days before I'm going to be there but I suspect if I bought it they'd hold it for pickup a few days.

Would have been nicer than the utility knife cutting out knuckles for my quad build! (Of course yesterday after I was done I found another thin kerf blade for my bandsaw that I forgot I had!)

Nice looking Pietenpol too. You know Josh Bixler is supposedly building one in his garage. I keep hoping we get to see it on the show at some point.

I dream of building a real plane some day. Really like the Van's RV series...would love to have a RV-10 for family trips :D Saw an RV-3 at a local airshow a few years ago and would really love one of those...but no way I could justify it! If I was going to be selfish and build a single seater I think I'd have to seriously look at the subsonex http://www.sonexaircraft.com/research/subsonex.html - not that my wife would ever possibly approve of that.