what about downwerd swept wing tips?

If the wing tips are swept down to the point ware they point to the botom of the fusaloge then instead of the wings trying to self right them selvs as if they wer upsidedown, the way they are shapt alouse them to funal the air at the end of the wing for close to 2x the averege lift its geting normaly. Now you get more lift but its not to stable, you will have to twek ware the wing is or move the tail fethers down some to counter the masiv lift you are geting from the wing. A ajustable wing is a good idea. XB

earthsciteach

"Droop tips," or downward swept wingtips are often used on STOL (Short take-off and landing) airplanes, such as the Maule, Super Cubs, Cessnas and any other airplanes that are required to take off and land in extremely short distances. The droop tips increase lift by taking advantage of wingtip vortices. While this does increase handling and lift, the effect is most pronounced at low speeds. It does not add an "enormous" amount of lift, as the impact is only felt at the wingtips. But, because it is felt at the wingtips, the impact to handling can be very noticable. Its all about leverage.

Thankyou earthsciteach that was very informative now I know sommore about what im bulding, and congrats on geting on the show!(it was impresave for me eneywase.)

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
It is amazing what the shape of the wing tips can do.
Down swept tips are improving the "ground effect" but up swept wing tips are common on most commercial air liners today. They were hardly seen some 20 years ago.
300px-C-FGYN_Adlair_Aviation_de_Havilland_Beaver_(DHC2)_01.jpg.jpg

winglet.jpg

thats actualy not what I ment by downward swept wingtips I ment for them to be formed more like a 7 shape. (please read the post more carfuly ( and sory about my spelling im werking on that )) BD oh and if you say that wont werk I allready bult a test model for this desine, still weking on it tho. I have three alredy a 1ft wing span one, a 3ft wing span one with the wing at the front of the fusaloge, and a 2ft wing span one with no tail fethers. (as they put it in the show.) they'r all still a tiny bit sqweraly but its not bad. still... its a werk in progres soooo thats Y I posted it hear on the forum. I hope to get some new i deas and mabe some constructiv critisisum.mabe JB

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
wingtips up have different purpose than if pointing down, it helps reduce the vortex generated (induced drag) by keeping the airflow from escaping sideways over the wing - almost like a wing fence.

i could give you a full lesson about it, but im yawning already :D

what you are suggesting is some kind of a funky FLAP design, as you increase the curve of the wing you generate more lift.

PS: Anime; you really need to develop your grammar !

Last edited:
Yes that what I have for now, exsept move the tail fethers down and you dont need a wing span as long as you have shone. MB If you don't move the tail fethers then aircraft becoms way tail hevy, this is good for racing thro caves (as was my... insperation...well some of it.)but only when you move the wing to the front of the fusaloge. Also any airlon or elivater put on the wing will only act as an qwik drop airbrake, for geting arond thos stupedly tite terns XD. If you just leave the wing alone then it stil fly's like a normal airplan. This disine is intendid for racing, stunts, and paylode carying, also you may notis that it may fly diferently inverted but thats for obveus resons. (agen sory about my spelling) SB

teflyer

Full Circle
Maybe it would be helpful fo you to post a picture of your plans as stated before by pgerts
One picture is worth a thousand words after all:)

Also, would the position of the horizontal stabilizer along the vertical stabilizer really make a plane tail heavy?
Maybe I am just confused or misunderstanding you.

teflyer

Full Circle
Can anyone explain the use of wingtips and how they work?
Just wondering about how they work...

Last edited:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Can anyone explain the use of wingtips and how they work?
Just wondering about how they work...

Wingtips don't work!
The air passes out from the plane over the wing tips and causes problems.
In general air passes from the bottom of the wing (high pressure) to the top of the wing (low pressure) pushing the tip of the wing downward.

There are many ways to minimize those problems. The problems get worse the higher speed the plane has.
Most airliners have modified the wing tips to upward - see picture above.
Some fighters and other planes shape the wings like an arrow (delta) so that the the wing tips are as small as possible.
Aerobatic planes flying equally up side down can have "plates" on the wing tips (equal up and down).
As shown on the picture with the Beaver some planes have down swept wing tips to funnel the air at low speeds close to the ground.
You can find lost of vids on the tube with wind tunnel experiments showing the air flow at the wing tips with different shape of the tips.