What am I doing wrong on this roll?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Found a field outside the MOA and that is clear for flying. First battery pack on the 4 channel wing with my Tiny Trainer.
Trying to figure out why my roll looks so bad... seems to be more of a corkscrew shape. My son recorded a small portion of the battery run (he wanted to show one of his friends), so I was reviewing it trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Roll starts about 14 seconds, at that point I was flying [roughly] into the wind. I check the wind reports afterwords and the report said 8mph, the near by flags were fairly full. I picked up my TX and did the finger motions that I remember doing coming up to the roll. My thought is that I was pushing up, and with my thumb being slightly offset, when it hit max throttle, it added some right rudder. Would be great if someone can tell from the video if in fact that is what I did to myself or if there is something else I should be aware of.

Audio was muted, my kids were apparently being very talkative during the clip.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
as you begin to go inverted you input DOWN elevator (forward on the stick) to keep your nose up ...that is not an acrobatic air frame so dont expect too much

I havent flown one of these it also appears to be dragging its tail, maybe try to move the weight towards the nose a bit

JasonK

that makes sense, I figured to start with I would start with some upwards angle and just roll, with the goal of first getting the 'roll' working without worrying about it being 'on a wire' horizontally. I was expecting my nose to drop in the roll, but the other movements were unexpected.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The first things to consider are that your model was not flying fast and it does not weigh mush. Therefore the model has little inertia to keep it up during the roll.
Next thing is that the moment you start the roll the effective lift from the wings starts to decrease immediately whilst gravity does not. The result is that the plane falls greatly as you roll. With low speed the application of rudder will have some effect but not that much.

Whilst the model can do aerobatic maneuvers it is not an aerobatic design and the wing mass and moment are relatively high. As the wings assume the vertical phase of the roll the sideslip due to the effect of gravity acts on the vertical fin, (now horizontal), and the wind resistance of the vertical fin causes the tail to fall at a lesser rate than the nose.

With such a design a faster roll rate combined with a nose up entry can minimise any height loss!

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

speedbirdted

Legendary member
You'll need to be in a nose-up attitude when you enter the roll to make sure you don't lose too much altitude - once you practice it more you can start adding reverse elevator when the plane is inverted to help it maintain altitude when halfway through the roll. With some planes, adding rudder to a roll makes it super smooth, to the point of zero altitude change. Though I doubt due to the TT wing placement this would be easy as it would require manipulating the aileron control at the same time to keep the roll speed constant. With a snap roll you want to push the aileron to the stops for the whole roll.

Tench745

Master member
I second what Aireal Anarchist said. It looked like it would have been pretty good if you'd added a little down elevator as you went inverted. I think you probably could have use a little more airspeed before entering the maneuver too.

JasonK

well. that was 100% on my throttle (running a 2 cell on a power pack A).

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Aireal Anarchist, you need down elevator while inverted. Flat bottom wings produce less lift while inverted, you need down elevator to compensate. The TT is capably of sustained inverted flight.

I would also add you were too low when you started. This will give you more time to recover.