what are C????

Tench745

Master member
The ESC amp rating is the amount of current the ESC can handle having drawn through it by the motor/prop combo without burning up. If you have a prop that takes more power to turn as fast as the motor is trying to turn it, you toast an ESC. If you draw less power, it doesn't hurt anything.

Adui

The ESC amp rating is the amount of current the ESC can handle having drawn through it by the motor/prop combo without burning up. If you have a prop that takes more power to turn as fast as the motor is trying to turn it, you toast an ESC. If you draw less power, it doesn't hurt anything.
Crap... Heres hoping the setup I bought wont fry
I'll post here b4 I run it

Tench745

Master member
i'm using a 2212 2200kv brushless motor, a 30a esc, and a 6x4 prop. and 11.1v 2200mah 35c-70c batt.
A 6x4 prop on a 2200kv motor running on a 3s(11.1v) battery should draw around 20amps. Your ESC should be safe with that setup.

EDIT: I got confused about who was posting what before I wrote this. But I'll leave this post up in case others find the information helpful.

f-35lover

A 6x4 prop on a 2200kv motor running on a 3s(11.1v) battery should draw around 20amps. Your ESC should be safe with that setup.

EDIT: I got confused about who was posting what before I wrote this. But I'll leave this post up in case others find the information helpful.
estimated, how long will my plane fly with that setup?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... Heres hoping the setup I bought wont fry...
I agree with Temch, start with the prop, too large, and it can cause the motor to draw too many amps and burn out the motor. Make sure the ESC can supply more amps than the motor draws, then that the battery can also supply the amps the motor requires. With the ESC & battery, it’s good to ha a bit of overhead, the servos also pull a few amps, about .75 amps each.

All of the amp ratings are do not exceed. It fine to use a 30 amp ESC on a motor that draws 20 amps. Don’t use a 20 amp ESC on a motor that draw 30.

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
estimated, how long will my plane fly with that setup?
That's an easy one. Take the capacity of the battery, 2200mah (mili-amp-hours) divide that by 1000 to convert that to amp-hours. 2200/1000= 2.2 amp-hours
Then divide that by the current draw. 2.2ah/20amps=.11 hours. Multiply that by 60 to get minutes. .11hours * 60 minutes=6.6 minutes.

So if you flew at full throttle the whole time you would get about 6 minutes out of that battery. At lower throttle settings you draw fewer amps and get longer flight times.

Last edited:

f-35lover

I got all the things i need and will start to build the simple scout. but i have no idea on how to attach the prop to the motor. the motor is a hobby king motor

tamuct01

I got all the things i need and will start to build the simple scout. but i have no idea on how to attach the prop to the motor. the motor is a hobby king motor

There are typically two ways that the prop will attach to the motor. If the motor already has a "large" diameter shaft and a corresponding nut on it, then the propeller bolts right on. In cases where the motor has a "small" shaft, there is usually a prop collet. The prop will bolt onto the prop collet and the collet will fit over the motor shaft, and when tightened will not come off. Note that "small" and "large" are relative.

prop collet: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=prop+collet&atb=v186-1&iax=images&ia=images
direct bolt on: https://images.amain.com/images/large/flt/flt-3036.jpg

Shurik-1960

10 years ago, I wanted to have more traction and put big screws on medium motors......Thanks to my stupidity , I learned how to rewind motors . When I got tired of burning motors , I bought a Wattmeter . Don't do anything stupid with experiments: what kind of screw should I put on this motor?! Connect a wattmeter and it will immediately become clear to you whether the motor will work or will emit clouds of smoke.

f-35lover

thanks! i was planning to build the simple scout but I'm a beginner. the scout looks kinda hard to build and fly. any other suggestion for my plane using my electronics setup?