what are some alternatives to Adams readi board

RhysSmith

hey guys im sure im not the only one wanting to know about this and wont be the last but i live in Australia and cant get access to Adams board easily or cheaply and was wondering if any one knew of an alternative that could be used instead of Adams board that is just as good. cheers hope someone knows of something

Paul-H

You could use 5mm Foamboard from your local art supply shop, although that will probably be more expensive and of a higher build quality.

Good points for Adams is that it is of a lower quality so is lighter and its easy to strip the paper off if needed.

Bad points for art foamboard is that it is heavier and the paper backing is more difficult to remove.

Adams will de-laminate very easily if there is too much moisture in the air, hobby shop foam can survive a dunking in the local salt water lake. Don't ask me how I know, (Flight controller, ESC, Receiver two wing mounted servos and a BEC didn't though) but the airframe, two internal mounted expensive digital servos and brushless motor did.

I also like to use the black foamboard as that is much stronger and stiffer than the white, I often use black for the fuselage and white for the wings.

Paul

philgabanski

1470438397054-805858902.jpg

I bought some XPS foam insulation from bunnings at $13 per sheet. Glues with hot glue and 5min epoxy. I covered in wing tape from hobbyking at $2per roll.
I also keep an eye on tradewarehouse.com for depron which comes on special now and then.
Couple years back I got 20 full size sheets for $149 delivered.

RhysSmith

View attachment 72913

I bought some XPS foam insulation from bunnings at $13 per sheet. Glues with hot glue and 5min epoxy. I covered in wing tape from hobbyking at $2per roll.
I also keep an eye on tradewarehouse.com for depron which comes on special now and then.
Couple years back I got 20 full size sheets for $149 delivered.

ok how bigs a sheet of xps and how did you form it did you use a coarse sandpaper because if this works i will have to go on a spending spree at bunnings

philgabanski

Sheets are 1200mm by 600mm by 30mm thick. The plane You see there was made by gluing 3 sheets wide and shaping with a knife (keep blades sharp and at a low angle to avoid pulling the foam). Hack saw blade also works for shaping. Then when you have close the desired shape, sand the rest of the way (100 grade sooms to work best).
If using hot glue, be careful as the high temp stuff can do some damage so I found out.
Best to get some epoxy from like hobbyking as this gives a very strong bond, and while there grab some wing tape. The good thing with the wing tape is you can gently heat it to a smooth finish.
And the XPS also comes 50mm thick sheets for $20.
Not easy being a cheap-skate here in Aus!

Also check out this video, this is similar stuff and helped me with my plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv3D30RGT-g

Last edited:

RhysSmith

Sheets are 1200mm by 600mm by 30mm thick. The plane You see there was made by gluing 3 sheets wide and shaping with a knife (keep blades sharp and at a low angle to avoid pulling the foam). Hack saw blade also works for shaping. Then when you have close the desired shape, sand the rest of the way (100 grade sooms to work best).
If using hot glue, be careful as the high temp stuff can do some damage so I found out.
Best to get some epoxy from like hobbyking as this gives a very strong bond, and while there grab some wing tape. The good thing with the wing tape is you can gently heat it to a smooth finish.
And the XPS also comes 50mm thick sheets for $20.
Not easy being a cheap-skate here in Aus!

Also check out this video, this is similar stuff and helped me with my plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv3D30RGT-g

Ok thanks I think that I will probably use xps and I think someone should start making Adams board in Aus

philgabanski

Update, I noticed hobbyking is now selling thinner sheets of xps, 3mm, 6mm and 10mm.
Its kinda similar to depron but would benefit from a good layer of tape like Ed from experimental airlines does. Also, look up Andrew Newton on youtube. Fellow Aussie builder

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
What about someone posting a (successfully flown) build, with plans, in XPS herein so others can learn XPS foam sheets by copying the build.

Whilst I am sure that most in this forum are capable of such a build I normally do not like trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak, and repeating the mistakes of others, (My own mistakes are expensive enough:black_eyed:).

Consider it a challenge!:p

philgabanski

20160808_185147_1477550997835_resized.jpg
I have had 15 successful flights with my lil cessna now. To be honest, as far as plans go, all I did was take a 3 view from google search, traced it onto the foam and used a fret saw to cut it out, the sanded it smooth. Then used hobbyking wing tape to cover, used a heat gun to smooth out the finish.
Specs:
Span 38in
Length 26in
Weight 600grams
Motor Turnigy Aerodrive 2826 1240kv
Slow fly prop 8 x 3.8
ESC hobbyking 18-20amp
Battery Nano tech 1300mah 3S
HXT 9g servos (x4)
I have had 2 hard nose in landings and no cracks yet. The only reinforced parts are the plywood fire wall and the carbon fiber rod in the wing.
Its no racer or 3d master, but flies exactly as a cessna should. Great for lazy flying.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just be a little careful with the smaller DTFB designs because Aussie FB tends to be heavier and planes become very difficult to get to balance properly.

Welcome fellow Aussie!

philgabanski

2016-11-03 11.26.55.jpg

Here are some alternatives to the australian paper covered foams, that tend to be far heavier and more expensive than the DT foam. Given here in australia we are never going to get as cheep as DT FB, Here are the alternatives I have come across.
Depron, great all round material, when covered with tape or laminate you can easily bend around and functions very close to DT foam. The biggest down side is cost at around $12.50 per sheet if you buy in bulk. 700mm x 1000mm x 6mm.
Daiso foam, I cam across this stuff in Daiso store in brisbane, come in 5mm at 1000mm x 700mm or 10mm x 600mm x 500mm. it is only $2.80 per sheet. it is thinner than depron and not as rigid, although the 10mm seems stronger due to it being bonded (2ply).
Hobbyking foam, Got this to try out, and I got the 10mm stuff. at $4 per sheet for 10mm x 700 x1000 delivered. Minimum buy is 20 sheets. Not as rigid as depron and easier to dent, this is why I went for a thicker grade and it works great for the price. Hobbyking do have 5mm as well for cheaper here in aus.
Bunnings XPS insulation sheets. COmes 600 x 1200 in 30mm thick for $13 or 50mm thick for $21. Look up andrew newton on youtube as he has great success and tips on hot wire cutting this foam. XPS is also what the hobbyking foam is. If sanding you do need to take care as it can pull the foam. I find an electric sander (small mouse type) very effective in shaping.
HOpe this helps some one out there. I love trying new things and will keep posting if I find another alternative material.

RhysSmith

View attachment 76560

Here are some alternatives to the australian paper covered foams, that tend to be far heavier and more expensive than the DT foam. Given here in australia we are never going to get as cheep as DT FB, Here are the alternatives I have come across.
Depron, great all round material, when covered with tape or laminate you can easily bend around and functions very close to DT foam. The biggest down side is cost at around $12.50 per sheet if you buy in bulk. 700mm x 1000mm x 6mm.
Daiso foam, I cam across this stuff in Daiso store in brisbane, come in 5mm at 1000mm x 700mm or 10mm x 600mm x 500mm. it is only $2.80 per sheet. it is thinner than depron and not as rigid, although the 10mm seems stronger due to it being bonded (2ply).
Hobbyking foam, Got this to try out, and I got the 10mm stuff. at $4 per sheet for 10mm x 700 x1000 delivered. Minimum buy is 20 sheets. Not as rigid as depron and easier to dent, this is why I went for a thicker grade and it works great for the price. Hobbyking do have 5mm as well for cheaper here in aus.
Bunnings XPS insulation sheets. COmes 600 x 1200 in 30mm thick for $13 or 50mm thick for $21. Look up andrew newton on youtube as he has great success and tips on hot wire cutting this foam. XPS is also what the hobbyking foam is. If sanding you do need to take care as it can pull the foam. I find an electric sander (small mouse type) very effective in shaping.
HOpe this helps some one out there. I love trying new things and will keep posting if I find another alternative material.
ok thanks mate.
what would you recommend as the best for building war birds, i would think xps would be the go

philgabanski

14782890598641636443307.jpg

This is an early stage of my next xps project. THis is without hot wire cutting so far. I wanted a low wing throw around that runs on the same 2200mah 3s as my sky fun. this so far is using only the 30mm xps from bunnings, and some 10mm hobbyking foam either side. Wings were cut with a very sharp utility knife and sanded with an electric sander.
The bunnings foam is about $13 per sheet and this plane so far has only used 2/3 of that. This for a plane at 42inch wing span.
The hobbyking foam I use is 10mm, I like this thickness as I can shape it. If you get 500x700, it will cost about $43 for 20 sheets. just over $2 per sheet.
Based on the success of this plane, I do intend to build a seafury in the same manner.

Attachments

• 1478288759718-1179864462.jpg
    1478288759718-1179864462.jpg
    861.7 KB · Views: 1

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I miss good old Fan Fold Foam. It was pretty much the stuff that started the whole DIY foamie craze about a decade ago.

philgabanski

20161208_131009_1485685702629_resized.jpg
20161210_093207_1485685703399_resized.jpg
20170122_115828_resized.jpg
Well, finally finished what is now called the Thumper. Weighs almost 1kg or a bit over 2lb, running an old KDA (now KEDA I beleive) motor at about 180 watts, 2200mah 3S. Wasn't sure if this would be enough but, in short it was plenty.
Plane is air bourne in about 4 feet, super stable and due to the large area of the wing and control surfaces seems very hard to stall. Also can turn within a few feet in the air. Can also do high alpha no worries and in moderate wind can even hold still in the air.
Now called the thumper as it has had 2 extremely hard landings with zero repair required.
My new goto plane and all with less than $20 au of material for the air frame.
I will keep building with this stuff!!!

Bricks

Master member
What you down under guys could check out is building these planes with 2mm coroplast. It is different to work with but if care is taken to build light will result in a good and durable plane. A google search and check out rcgroups there are some good plans and build logs some very small park fliers.

Frankschtaldt

Hi RhysSmith,

Fellow Aussie here.

Firstly, a word of caution. I haven't actually flown any of the below.
I'm working on my first ever build and am experimenting with a heap of techniques on the way.
This is what I've come up with so far but none of it has actually been put in the air yet.
Probably about 2-3 weeks I should be putting my first bird up.

I started to make a nn Manic Micro from our foam board and found it WAAY too heavy.
So I bought some of this stuff from Hobby King. Price wise it works out not much more expensive than DTFB and it heaps cheaper than any foam board available in Australia. They sometimes have a 500x700 sheets size in stock in Australia which works out a lot cheaper for some reason, probably freight.

If you cover each side of the sheet with coloured packing tape you can use all the standard foam board building techniques on it and it will actually be significantly and you don't have to paint it afterwards!
Check out this video on how to apply the tape.

Hot glue can struggle with our hot Australian climate so I've been experimenting with this glue from Bunnings. It's the same thing as Gorilla glue that you might have seen the American members of the forums mention from time to time. It's much lighter and more durable than hot glue. Only down side is it takes about an hour to set enough to be able to move the part so the build is slower.
Note: use sparingly, this stuff expands to roughly triple it's volume as it sets so if you use it like hot glue your model will just fill up with glue!
I do plan to put together a post on all of this when I finish my build if it actually flies.

Sarge707

I see Elmers Foam Board at Walmart and it seems a little heavier than Adams and its about $1.79 for the same size. I might try a piece . Anyone have experience with it?