What are the specs on the Bix3 PNF?

Hi there! Some may have seen my other post, and I have settled. I am getting a Bix3 PNF and a Turnigy 9X transmitter+reciever.

The thing is, the specs for the Bix3 on the site do not specify something that I'd like to know.

What is the default battery plug on the ESC? (If there is any. If none, which do you recommend? My father can help me with soldering.)
What is the amount of C's the motor draws?
Can I even put more than a 5 channel reciever on it?

Thanks!
Nikofant

Also, does the transmitter/reciever comply with the new EU rules? DSM2 and other older protocols like FASST are illegal to buy and sell in the EU.

Also, does the transmitter/reciever comply with the new EU rules? DSM2 and other older protocols like FASST are illegal to buy and sell in the EU.

Since you would need to separately purchase a transmitter/ receiver (it doesn't come with one) you would need to purchase one which complies with the EU rules regardless.

sadly I don't know what the battery connector is but the recommended batteries on HK all seem to have a JST-XH connector to charge and an XT60 to connect to an ESC so hopefully that will be your answer, but it would be great if someone could verify....

Since you would need to separately purchase a transmitter/ receiver (it doesn't come with one) you would need to purchase one which complies with the EU rules regardless.

sadly I don't know what the battery connector is but the recommended batteries on HK all seem to have a JST-XH connector to charge and an XT60 to connect to an ESC so hopefully that will be your answer, but it would be great if someone could verify....
Hey.
I said in the post what transmitter I would be buying. It does not say which protocol it uses, though.

Thanks,
Nikolai

ZoomNBoom

What is the default battery plug on the ESC? (If there is any. If none, which do you recommend? My father can help me with soldering.)

XT60

What is the amount of C's the motor draws?

Motors dont draw "C"s. They draw amps. Batteries have a C rating, which is a measure of the current (amps) they cnan provide divided by the capacity. So a 2200mAH 20C battery can deliver the same amount of amps (44A in theory) as a 1100mAH 40C battery or a 4400 10C.

To answer the question you wanted to ask; the plane comes with a 20A ESC, so your should expect your motor will not draw more than that with the stock prop. To get 20A from a 2200 battery, you need less than 10C. In theory. In reality those battery C ratings are always way exagerrated, go for ~25C sustained to be safe.

Can I even put more than a 5 channel reciever on it?

Sure, you can put any receiver you want in it. But there is not much point.

THats a good question. Im not sure. I would guess it is, if for no other reason than that its still being sold in the EU. They updated the protocol a few years ago, they probably took the EU directives in to account, but thats just a guess. Either way, if there is a problem, then its not yours. Its not illegal to buy or use those older non compliant protocols, its only the sellers that risk problems.

XT60

Motors dont draw "C"s. They draw amps. Batteries have a C rating, which is a measure of the current (amps) they cnan provide divided by the capacity. So a 2200mAH 20C battery can deliver the same amount of amps (44A in theory) as a 1100mAH 40C battery or a 4400 10C.

To answer the question you wanted to ask; the plane comes with a 20A ESC, so your should expect your motor will not draw more than that with the stock prop. To get 20A from a 2200 battery, you need less than 10C. In theory. In reality those battery C ratings are always way exagerrated, go for ~25C sustained to be safe.

Sure, you can put any receiver you want in it. But there is not much point.

THats a good question. Im not sure. I would guess it is, if for no other reason than that its still being sold in the EU. They updated the protocol a few years ago, they probably took the EU directives in to account, but thats just a guess. Either way, if there is a problem, then its not yours. Its not illegal to buy or use those older non compliant protocols, its only the sellers that risk problems.

Hey, thanks.
You answered my question pretty solid. Many thanks!
Nikolai

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Hey.
I said in the post what transmitter I would be buying. It does not say which protocol it uses, though.

Thanks,
Nikolai

The stock TX module and RX that come with the Turnigy 9X use the "V2" protocol.

It is possible that this is the same as the AFHDS protocol that FlySky uses on FlySky branded 9Xs but I have not been able to confirm that.

All I can say from what I have read is that the Turnigy 9X works with these three RXs

HK-GT2_RX Limited range - park flyer only
HK-T6A-V2
RX-9X8Cv2

There is pretty much nothing describing what the Turnigy "V2" protocol is and I have not found anything definitive that says the Turnigy TX module that comes with the Turnigy 9X will bind to any FlySky AFHDS RX. However I have a suspicion that V2 is the same as FlySky AFHDS.

Many people just get rid of the stock TX module in 9X and replace it with a FrSky DJT or XJT modules which gives you access to a large number of RXs.
http://www.microtechnics.eu/detail.php?categorie=FrSky&souscat=13&code=DJT&langue=en
FrSky is among the best. If you get the Turnigy there is a minor modification you have to make. With the 9X from Banggood I think you can just plug in the new TX module

(Note: FrSky is not the same as FlySky)

If your reason for not getting a Spektrum TX is DSM2 as discussed on your other thread then you are mistaken. All new Spektrums use DSMX.

Interestingly I just found that France does or did not allow DSMX but does or did allow DSM2 due to restrictions they place on the 2.4GHz band. The Spektrum radios have a special "France" mode that disables DSMX :) Not sure if that has changed now that the rest of Europe doesn't like DSM2

Last edited:
The stock TX module and RX that come with the Turnigy 9X use the "V2" protocol.

It is possible that this is the same as the AFHDS protocol that FlySky uses on FlySky branded 9Xs but I have not been able to confirm that.

All I can say from what I have read is that the Turnigy 9X works with these three RXs

HK-GT2_RX Limited range - park flyer only
HK-T6A-V2
RX-9X8Cv2

There is pretty much nothing describing what the Turnigy "V2" protocol is and I have not found anything definitive that says the Turnigy TX module that comes with the Turnigy 9X will bind to any FlySky AFHDS RX. However I have a suspicion that V2 is the same as FlySky AFHDS.

Many people just get rid of the stock TX module in 9X and replace it with a FrSky DJT or XJT modules which gives you access to a large number of RXs.
http://www.microtechnics.eu/detail.php?categorie=FrSky&souscat=13&code=DJT&langue=en
FrSky is among the best. If you get the Turnigy there is a minor modification you have to make. With the 9X from Banggood I think you can just plug in the new TX module

(Note: FrSky is not the same as FlySky)

If your reason for not getting a Spektrum TX is DSM2 as discussed on your other thread then you are mistaken. All new Spektrums use DSMX.

Interestingly I just found that France does or did not allow DSMX but does or did allow DSM2 due to restrictions they place on the 2.4GHz band. The Spektrum radios have a special "France" mode that disables DSMX :) Not sure if that has changed now that the rest of Europe doesn't like DSM2

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind! Do you know of a module that is availabl on HobbyKing?
Where does Microtechnics ship from?
I don't like shipping from the US.

Thanks
Nikolai

pressalltheknobs

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind! Do you know of a module that is availabl on HobbyKing?
Where does Microtechnics ship from?
I don't like shipping from the US.

Thanks
Nikolai

Address from their sites says they are in Belgium

Microtechnics Sprl-Bvba 21 Rue de Void 4260 Braives Belgium
Sprl-Bvba Sept./1983 - Capital: 68.170,72 € - Entreprise: BE0424.614.035
BANK: BNP PARIBAS FORTIS - IBAN: BE53 0011 6308 3853 - BIC: GEBABEBB

I picked the site partly because you said you were in the EU.

You can get the FrSky modules from HK also but only from their global site I think. You said you were concerned about EU conformance and Microtechnics seem to know about that. From what I can gather the DJT module seems to be ok but the XJT module seems to have a special EU version. I would consider buying FrSky stuff from Microtechnics. They seem like good guys and their prices don't look bad. If you were in the US I would suggest AloftHobbies

Just to clarify the module supports FrSky Rxs only.

You have to disconnect the Turnigy module from the internal antenna to remove it. The best way is to desolder the wire from the module but you can just cut it if you don't plan on using it again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_OPLKWEAFY

If you buy the 9X from Banggood, assuming they ship the version they show then the Flysky module just unplugs. There is no internal antenna.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-F...emote-Control-Transmitter-Mode-2-p-47904.html

This version definitely uses AFHDS. There is this table that shows what FlySky RXs their various transmitters support which basically corresponds with the HK list so that seems to support the idea that V2 = AFHDS

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2295617
https://www.facebook.com/flyskyrc

There is only one additional one listed (GR3E) but I didn't find much on it with a quick search.

ZoomNBoom

You said you were concerned about EU conformance and Microtechnics seem to know about that. From what I can gather the DJT module seems to be ok but the XJT module seems to have a special EU version.

Actually, AFAIK, frsky never updated DJT and is not compliant with the new EU regulations. It should therefore not be sold. Im surprised microtechnics still does, probably clearing out their stock. As I said though, the risk is with the seller, not the buyer, and DJT works perfectly fine. I use it most of the time, even though I have a taranis which can do XJT too.

As for XJT; the EU firmware is compliant, thats why its called the EU version. Older XJT modules and receivers and 'international' versions are not compliant, but can be flashed with a compliant firmware (and vice versa). Important note: EU and non EU firmwares are not compatible, and flashing receivers does require some knowledge (usbasp) and/or frsky USB flash device with some moronic name, FUC3 or something (!). Not expensive at all, but keep it in mind.

I would consider buying FrSky stuff from Microtechnics. They seem like good guys and their prices don't look bad.

Microtechnics is the exclusive EU distributor for frsky. Its a good place to get your stuff in the EU, even though their website is a complete and utter mess and the ordering process.. well, "different".

Lastly, I think you are almost correct on AFHDS. I think the original 9X modules where AFHDS and frankly, they were utter rubbish. Id have receiver lock outs at 10 meter if there was a cell phone tower anywhere in a 3 Km radius. Or if someone sneezed. Might have been worse than DSM2, so thats saying something.

But there is a "AFHDS 2A" now, and thats probably what hobbyking calls V2. I have no first hand experience, havent read much on it, I dont know if its any good. Depending on what you fly, why take the chance, and my vote goes for a frsky module as well.

pressalltheknobs

Actually, AFAIK, frsky never updated DJT and is not compliant with the new EU regulations. It should therefore not be sold. Im surprised microtechnics still does, probably clearing out their stock. As I said though, the risk is with the seller, not the buyer, and DJT works perfectly fine. I use it most of the time, even though I have a taranis which can do XJT too.

As for XJT; the EU firmware is compliant, thats why its called the EU version. Older XJT modules and receivers and 'international' versions are not compliant, but can be flashed with a compliant firmware (and vice versa). Important note: EU and non EU firmwares are not compatible, and flashing receivers does require some knowledge (usbasp) and/or frsky USB flash device with some moronic name, FUC3 or something (!). Not expensive at all, but keep it in mind.

Microtechnics is the exclusive EU distributor for frsky. Its a good place to get your stuff in the EU, even though their website is a complete and utter mess and the ordering process.. well, "different".

Lastly, I think you are almost correct on AFHDS. I think the original 9X modules where AFHDS and frankly, they were utter rubbish. Id have receiver lock outs at 10 meter if there was a cell phone tower anywhere in a 3 Km radius. Or if someone sneezed. Might have been worse than DSM2, so thats saying something.

But there is a "AFHDS 2A" now, and thats probably what hobbyking calls V2. I have no first hand experience, havent read much on it, I dont know if its any good. Depending on what you fly, why take the chance, and my vote goes for a frsky module as well.

I guess microtechnics haven't updated their site. Says the conform to a 1999 directive. Oh well...

V2 is not AFHDS 2A. That's FlySky's new protocol and it supports telemetry. Think it has only been out a year or so and debuted with Flysky's new i series Txs. It's basically the same as AFDHS, maybe some minor tweaks, except it is two way. They have a new set of the RXs if you look at that table on their Friend Face page which apparently don't work with the 9X.

It's a bit confusing because HK sell other re-branded FlySky Txs...The older ones T4A T6A and 9X all say V2 and the new ones, i6 and i10 say AFHDS 2A. the T4, T6 and 9X sold else where all use AFHDS.

The old old FlySky 2.4GHz protocol was DSSS based apparently. Probably that was "V1" for HK. I think I read that FlySky moved to AFHDS around 2011 but it was just a post on a forum so...

So I'm pretty sure HK "V2" is AFHDS. The evidence points to it but I've looked around and haven't found anything that definitely states that.

ZoomNBoom

I just checked my old 9x receiver, and it says V2 and its quite a few years old, so you are probably correct. In that case, do not trust the 9x "V2" stock module/receiver for any sort of plane you care about and want to take home, or anything capable of producing non trivial damage or injury, because that radio module is rubbish. Garbage.

pressalltheknobs

I just checked my old 9x receiver, and it says V2 and its quite a few years old, so you are probably correct. In that case, do not trust the 9x "V2" stock module/receiver for any sort of plane you care about and want to take home, or anything capable of producing non trivial damage or injury, because that radio module is rubbish. Garbage.

Probably depends where you are. Or maybe you got a bad one. Others have had quite good luck with it. The sneezing thing you mentioned earlier could be bad though ;) This was one of the reasons I just bought a Taranis. Not the sneezing but the other stuff.

Nikofant - I would contact you local flying club since you say there is one and get some local advice before you order anything. There is some merit in getting something that people use there since they will be able to help you better.
Also as ZoomNBoom's experience shows local conditions may not favor certain protocols.

The thing people like about the 9X is that it is the hacker's radio. You can hack it up to be a very flexible and excellent
TX for a fairly modest amount of money. If it breaks someone has probably fixed the same problem. However, since it is cheap, the quality control is going to be variable. Depending on how you feel about things this may not be the radio for you.

Probably depends where you are. Or maybe you got a bad one. Others have had quite good luck with it. The sneezing thing you mentioned earlier could be bad though ;) This was one of the reasons I just bought a Taranis. Not the sneezing but the other stuff.

Nikofant - I would contact you local flying club since you say there is one and get some local advice before you order anything. There is some merit in getting something that people use there since they will be able to help you better.
Also as ZoomNBoom's experience shows local conditions may not favor certain protocols.

The thing people like about the 9X is that it is the hacker's radio. You can hack it up to be a very flexible and excellent
TX for a fairly modest amount of money. If it breaks someone has probably fixed the same problem. However, since it is cheap, the quality control is going to be variable. Depending on how you feel about things this may not be the radio for you.

Thanks.