What are the values of a thoroughbred trainer?

What two things do you find the most important for a trainer aircraft?

• Landing gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Customizable

• Large (not too big, but over 1m)

• Portability

• Total voters

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Trainers come in all shapes and sizes nowadays, and they all have their ups and downs. This is about trainers that can be built or purchased without having to drive cross country. Vote for your two most important trainer values that you find are necessary. If you have any good trainers or stories about first planes that can be helpful ,or just fun I would love to read them.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I choose durability for sure, although power is a nice bonus I think visibility would be an important for orientation. You lose orientation, as a beginner is pretty easy, especially when things go south. With the plane spiralling to the ground because of loss of orientation a beginner doesn't know or has the reflexes yet pull out of most problematic situations. So power or handling will just drill it further into the dirt. And I have crashed many planes with dihedral, the plane won't fly itself because of dihedral, and for some who build, it becomes a crutch. I have seen some build like more dihedral will make the plane last longer for some reason. I don't really like dihedral on any planes anymore. @Wildthing seems to have taken a new liking to excessive dihedral on his new Mustang though :ROFLMAO:. That should be an interesting maiden to watch

The Fopster

Master member
I found that the answer to any question with the word "trainer" in it is "FT Flyer". That's the one that got me safely airborne and then landed again in one piece. After that the RC world is your oyster...

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I found that the answer to any question with the word "trainer" in it is "FT Flyer". That's the one that got me safely airborne and then landed again in one piece. After that the RC world is your oyster...
Same for me, I put a kfm step on it to make it fly slower, I do think the mini scout is a bit more stable in calm conditions though...

Wildthing

Legendary member
I choose durability for sure, although power is a nice bonus I think visibility would be an important for orientation. You lose orientation, as a beginner is pretty easy, especially when things go south. With the plane spiralling to the ground because of loss of orientation a beginner doesn't know or has the reflexes yet pull out of most problematic situations. So power or handling will just drill it further into the dirt. And I have crashed many planes with dihedral, the plane won't fly itself because of dihedral, and for some who build, it becomes a crutch. I have seen some build like more dihedral will make the plane last longer for some reason. I don't really like dihedral on any planes anymore. @Wildthing seems to have taken a new liking to excessive dihedral on his new Mustang though :ROFLMAO:. That should be an interesting maiden to watch

It will be fine, just inverted might be a challenge :)

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The reason why I don't think gliders are the best first plane is that sometimes, especially with headwinds, the plane doesn't want to land. For new pilots planes that aren't too har to land like cubs are better. After all, just my opinion :)