What Battery to use for PowerPack C

HeavyBird

Hey guys,

I've done a little reading on matching batteries to motor and esc, but I'm still a little blurry..

I am currently working on a couple FT 3Ds and FliteTest recommends "Power Pack C", which comes with a 30 amp esc. The battery they recommend for the 3D is rated 45C.
From my calculations that seems a bit high, but I could definitely be off. I want to get as much flight time as possible. What do you guys suggest?
I am also looking around for a decent calculator that might help, no luck so far.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
There are 3 main ratings on lipo batteries. Most important is the voltage, which is the number of cells connected in series multiplied by the single cell voltage (3.7V nominal) So a 3S battery is 11.1V, 2S is 7.4V etc. Second is the capacity, measured in mAh (milliamp hours). More capacity means a bigger heavier battery and longer flight times ( to a point). Finally is the C rating, which is the maximum discharge rate. This is calculated by multiplying the capacity (in amps) by the C rating. so a 2200mAh 45C pack is good for 99A. You really can't go wrong with a higher C rating than recommended whereas the other 2 ratings can cause problems if you exceed the reccomendations.

The FT3D kit recommends a 1300 - 1550mAh 3S pack. For maximum flight times, go with the 1550mAh. You could probably get by with a lower C rating than 45, but you will notice a performance loss as lower C rating packs tend to sag more under load.

JTarmstr

Elite member
There are 3 main ratings on lipo batteries. Most important is the voltage, which is the number of cells connected in series multiplied by the single cell voltage (3.7V nominal) So a 3S battery is 11.1V, 2S is 7.4V etc. Second is the capacity, measured in mAh (milliamp hours). More capacity means a bigger heavier battery and longer flight times ( to a point). Finally is the C rating, which is the maximum discharge rate. This is calculated by multiplying the capacity (in amps) by the C rating. so a 2200mAh 45C pack is good for 99A. You really can't go wrong with a higher C rating than recommended whereas the other 2 ratings can cause problems if you exceed the reccomendations.

The FT3D kit recommends a 1300 - 1550mAh 3S pack. For maximum flight times, go with the 1550mAh. You could probably get by with a lower C rating than 45, but you will notice a performance loss as lower C rating packs tend to sag more under load.

hmmm I have a Turnigy 2200 mAh 3s 40C pack for my C pack on the mustang. is that overdoing it?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
hmmm I have a Turnigy 2200 mAh 3s 40C pack for my C pack on the mustang. is that overdoing it?

It really depends on the weight. If you can get the plane to balance properly it should fly, but probably won't be as peppy as it would be with a lighter pack.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor

I don't think so. When @ElectriSean said that the other two ratings (voltage and capacity) can cause problems if you exceed them, it depends on the context.
Say you have a design that specifies 3S, a particular motor and a particular prop. If you follow the recommendations but exceed the voltage (say 4S) then you are at risk of burning out your ESC or motor.
If the design specifies 1300 - 1500 mAh and you exceed that, for example use a 2200 mAh, then you are adding weight that the plane may not be designed to carry, which could be a problem.
The only rating that won't cause you a problem is the C rating, exceeding this will never cause you an issue - the only down side is that higher C-rated batteries cost more.
For the Mustang, and C-pack, you could probably get away with a little lower C-rating (25 - 30) and save a couple of bucks

Edit:
if you look at the recommended batts for the mustang they are:
Tattu 3S LiPo Battery 45C (11.1V/1800mAh) (JST-XH) and
Gens Ace 3S LiPo Battery Pack 25C w/XT-60 Connector (11.1V/2200mAh)

DamoRC

JTarmstr

Elite member
Ok thanks, I have never been great figuring all the numbers out but I wanted decent battery life for my airplanes.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose

Definitely not. Provided you like going faster with more mass in the air.

I have flown a 2200 on a heavier than average Mustang and it was fine. I preferred the 1800 though. More vertical.