What beginner plane?

f-35lover

Hi, I'm a beginner who hasn't even started flying. I now am deciding on what plane to fly first. I want to use the power pack c for my planes, any suggestions on what first plane to use? and do you recommend flying an edf jet as a second plane? right now I want to fly the p-40 as a first plane but need some suggestions. thanks!

Foamforce

Hi, I'm a beginner who hasn't even started flying. I now am deciding on what plane to fly first. I want to use the power pack c for my planes, any suggestions on what first plane to use? and do you recommend flying an edf jet as a second plane? right now I want to fly the p-40 as a first plane but need some suggestions. thanks!

The only plane that frequently gets recommended as a first plane and also uses the C pack is the Storch. It worked for me!

Check out the Sponz Index of FT plans. If you click into the plans, they have the recommended motor on the first page, along with a skill level for both building and flying.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/sp0nz-plans-index.17136/

Aslansmonkey

For a C pack I'd go with the Storch, Bushwacker or the simple cub. Any of those high wing conventional style aircraft will give you extra stability, which is a must for a beginner. The Storch is exceptionally good at slow flying, but the bushwacker is a nice choice too. My first successful flight starting out was the Cub.

A good SECOND plane is the Scout. You'll love the scout and will keep it in your hanger.

The P-40 is a fine plane, but is not a good first plane. I'm not even sure I would recommended it as a second plane. I definitely would not recommend an EDF plane as a second. EDF planes have some extra considerations you need to take into account when flying and in general need to fly faster so it's a good idea to have a few more planes under your belt before you make that switch. Faster planes mean less time to react if something goes wrong. The debris field is larger. ;)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
+1 on the storch & bushwhacker

Stick with either one until you can fly it inverted across the field. Then you will be ready to move on to nearly any plane you want.

f-35lover

For a C pack I'd go with the Storch, Bushwacker or the simple cub. Any of those high wing conventional style aircraft will give you extra stability, which is a must for a beginner. The Storch is exceptionally good at slow flying, but the bushwacker is a nice choice too. My first successful flight starting out was the Cub.

A good SECOND plane is the Scout. You'll love the scout and will keep it in your hanger.

The P-40 is a fine plane, but is not a good first plane. I'm not even sure I would recommended it as a second plane. I definitely would not recommend an EDF plane as a second. EDF planes have some extra considerations you need to take into account when flying and in general need to fly faster so it's a good idea to have a few more planes under your belt before you make that switch. Faster planes mean less time to react if something goes wrong. The debris field is larger. ;)
Thanks for the helpful tips. is the cub a good choice?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member

I would say get an ft legacy. Build it as a single engine version and it flies like a charm and can withstand most crashes. I do not recommend the cub as a first choice, as it has some abnormal flight tendencies, and as a second plane, an edf would probably not be good, I would say try a couple different slower planes, crash those, then move up to faster props then edfs. (this is from what I have heard, as I have done every step but the edfs so far).

f-35lover

I think I'll either go with the storch or the single prop legacy. are both planes STOL? my air park runway is very small. so could I fly an EDF as a 5th or 6th plane?

Foamforce

Thanks for the helpful tips. is the cub a good choice?

I‘ve had good luck with the Cub, but others have had mixed experiences. It stalls somewhat easily which makes it more difficult to take off and land and that makes it more difficult for beginners. Also, it takes a B pack. You can build it with a C pack and it will fly, but the extra weight will make the stalling a little worse. The Storch is a bigger plane that really needs the C pack and flies really easily with it.

Aslansmonkey

Add the Tutor to that list of beginning planes. It's a good trainer too.

I started with the cub, my son started with the bushwacker. Of the two, the bushwacker was better (keep in mind we were beginner builders too though.) My son also built the storch. We've both built tutors. Of all those planes only the storch remains.

If I had to rank the 4 of them I'd go...
1) storch
2) tutor (only because it's an easier build than...)
3) bushwacker
4) simple cub.

The single engine legacy may slot in there but I've no experience with it. The FT explorer is also an excellent pure trainer.

Hold off on edfs until your more confident with your flying. They all go faster which means less reaction time. They're harder to get in the air too. When you're ready for that move though, the Viggen is a good EDF starting point.

f-35lover

Add the Tutor to that list of beginning planes. It's a good trainer too.

I started with the cub, my son started with the bushwacker. Of the two, the bushwacker was better (keep in mind we were beginner builders too though.) My son also built the storch. We've both built tutors. Of all those planes only the storch remains.

If I had to rank the 4 of them I'd go...
1) storch
2) tutor (only because it's an easier build than...)
3) bushwacker
4) simple cub.

The single engine legacy may slot in there but I've no experience with it. The FT explorer is also an excellent pure trainer.

Hold off on edfs until your more confident with your flying. They all go faster which means less reaction time. They're harder to get in the air too. When you're ready for that move though, the Viggen is a good EDF starting point.
Thanks, I'll research more on the storch.

Oldrover TJ

Storch over Bushwacker, The Storch is a lot more floaty and can easily be flown 3 channel. The bushwacker tends to be a bit tail heavy and has much larger control surfaces. But once you get the hang of flying definitely build a Bushwacker. I've had 5 of them over the years and always keep one around.

Crow929

I like the Explorer as a first C-Pack plane. The high pusher prop is nice and protected for bely landings. The plane is a nice slow flyer too! I'd recommend building a flat (no dihedral) wing with a wooden or carbon spar support before tring any crazy acrobatics though.

f-35lover

Storch over Bushwacker, The Storch is a lot more floaty and can easily be flown 3 channel. The bushwacker tends to be a bit tail heavy and has much larger control surfaces. But once you get the hang of flying definitely build a Bushwacker. I've had 5 of them over the years and always keep one around.[/QUOTE
wouldn't having a 4ch be more maneuverable?

Oldrover TJ

As a new pilot you don't need maneuverability. You main goal should be to focus on keeping perspective and orientation of your plane as well as landings. 4 channels is more to control. Just stick with a 3 channel, in a few weeks or maybe days of flying you can add in ailerons.

f-35lover

As a new pilot you don't need maneuverability. You main goal should be to focus on keeping perspective and orientation of your plane as well as landings. 4 channels is more to control. Just stick with a 3 channel, in a few weeks or maybe days of flying you can add in ailerons.
since you are an experienced pilot, I have a question. since the Storch is kinda large (to me) where would be the best place to fly? could I just fly in some nearby field?

Oldrover TJ

since you are an experienced pilot, I have a question. since the Storch is kinda large (to me) where would be the best place to fly? could I just fly in some nearby field?

I found the storch to be easy to fly in an acre field near my house but given the FAA's new rulings and such I would see if you can connect with a flying field in your area.

If you're wanting to move into EDFs someday then I highly recommend you find a good field with a paved runway.

Foamforce

I’m pretty new to flying too. One thing I found is that having a very large open area is key to learning. My first attempted flights were at a school soccer complex. The area was big enough for about three soccer fields, but that wasn’t nearly enough. I felt hesitant to take it very high, so I ended up flying too close to the ground and crashing when I made mistakes. Also, I felt anxious about being near roads and people walking by. I found a local flying field that is HUGE and that made all the difference for me. I could get WAY up in the air and practice turns, practice stalling, etc, and (almost) always have room to pull up. After that I only crashed another 20 or 30 times. 😂

f-35lover

I found the storch to be easy to fly in an acre field near my house but given the FAA's new rulings and such I would see if you can connect with a flying field in your area.

If you're wanting to move into EDFs someday then I highly recommend you find a good field with a paved runway.
Thank you, is the Storch considered a large plane? I heard that larger planes are better for beginners.

Foamforce

Hey, where are you from? If it happened to be Madison, WI, I could help you out. I ask because we recently got F35s at Truax Field here in Madison, so I though there’s a chance that you’re from around here.