What beginner plane?

f-35lover

Hey, where are you from? If it happened to be Madison, WI, I could help you out. I ask because we recently got F35s at Truax Field here in Madison, so I though there’s a chance that you’re from around here.
That would have been awesome. but I happen to be located in south Korea.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Probably the 5th plane to be an edf would be good. I believe the legacy is stol, though building it without landing gear and hand launching it is a good idea. Never built the storch, but it is an older design, with less planning going into wher what goes imho.

f-35lover

Probably the 5th plane to be an edf would be good. I believe the legacy is stol, though building it without landing gear and hand launching it is a good idea. Never built the storch, but it is an older design, with less planning going into wher what goes imho.
Thanks for the answer, are pusher jets hard to control? I was thinking that maybe a pusher jet could be a 3rd plane.

dap35

Elite member
Thanks for the answer, are pusher jets hard to control? I was thinking that maybe a pusher jet could be a 3rd plane.
Pushers can be just fine. My first plane was a pusher.
I agree with the other posts. My biggest challenges were in perspective and orientation of the plane. So plenty of room to fly is a good thing. Find a club if you can, having other pilots to mentor you and learn from is a good thing.

f-35lover

So some of you guys recommended the ft explorer, which is a pusher. then since it's a pusher, could I go for the FT master series f-16 or jetworks f-16 in pusher configuration? it's a pusher, right?

Oldrover TJ

Nope, an EDF is not a second plane. The masters series planes require a lot of skill to build. Get a few simple series under your belt first.

EDFs are faster. They don't have the same thrust as prop planes, which makes them harder to recover when you get yourself into trouble.

At best a simple EDF is an ok 3rd plane but even then you're gonna crash. I'd recommend Grifflyer's grunjet https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/grunjet-50mm-edf-jet.65408/

f-35lover

Nope, an EDF is not a second plane. The masters series planes require a lot of skill to build. Get a few simple series under your belt first.

EDFs are faster. They don't have the same thrust as prop planes, which makes them harder to recover when you get yourself into trouble.

At best a simple EDF is an ok 3rd plane but even then you're gonna crash. I'd recommend Grifflyer's grunjet https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/grunjet-50mm-edf-jet.65408/
thanks for the post!

f-35lover

I have an A2212/6 2200KV brushless motor, and I don't want it to go to waste. are there any FT planes that can use this motor? I gave up on the power pack c, too expensive.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I have an A2212/6 2200KV brushless motor, and I don't want it to go to waste. are there any FT planes that can use this motor? I gave up on the power pack c, too expensive.
I would recommend building a flyer or one of those earlier swappables, maybe even a simple scout, I know lots of people love them. A 7 or 8 inch propeller would be a good match, no larger

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Depends on the plane. It is generally not the motor configuration, but the plane, one model Leda fuer a fighter jet would be hard to control, but one with straight large wings, would be easier to control and more floaty. I think the ft22 is the exception

f-35lover

I would recommend building a flyer or one of those earlier swappables, maybe even a simple scout, I know lots of people love them. A 7 or 8 inch propeller would be a good match, no larger
the swapables have power pods right? in what power pod could my motor fit in?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
the swapables have power pods right? in what power pod could my motor fit in?
They do indeed have power pods. The simple scout powerpod is different than all the other ones though, just a heads up. Other than that, just use a standard power pod, not the mini

f-35lover

They do indeed have power pods. The simple scout powerpod is different than all the other ones though, just a heads up. Other than that, just use a standard power pod, not the mini
Then does that mean that I could use my motor to power the storch or any swappable that uses a normal power pod?