What camera is this?

Flyingninja

I found this cam at my local playground. I have no idea who the maker is, or how it is powered. There doesn't seem to be an internal battery, and there is no control buttons on it either. There were remains of a smashed controller in the trash can. I think the original owner crashed the drone and got really mad and smashed his tx! (there was no readable logo emblem on the tx)

top.jpg

front.jpg

bottom.jpg <=== There is an antenna so maybe fpv?

plug thing.jpg

Thanks
Flyingninja:cool:

Last edited:
It is the camera to the new sky viper commercial toy quad line. Pretty average toy quad camera quality. if you need it, you could look up a guy named flyin' ryan on youtube. All he does is review toy rc stuff.

Flyingninja

I looked at h=the product website and the cam can operate separately from the drone! I opened it up and discovered that the funny plug on the side is just a power source, using just 2 of the prongs. I was thinking a 1s lipo would work for it. What do you think?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
We're talking modern-ish hobby-grade hardware -- 1S may not work, but it probably won't kill it. If the connections hit a regulator right after the plug, then you should be golden.

Oh, and if you've got pics of innards, why haven't you shared those?!? ;)

Internal pics can be found here: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2662691

The top two pics are the innards of the 'copter. The remaining ones are of the camera. Unfortunately, the FCC website does not have links to the schematics or block diagram.

Some additional info can be gleaned from the test report (which is included): https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2662696

It appears that the camera is a streaming device (WiFi) and will send to a smart phone or tablet with the appropriate app (e.g., http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newskyviper&hl=en

Sounds interesting, but I wonder if the camera's WiFi transmitter will play nicely with our 2.4 GHz radios.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ah! right. The FCC certs. Always fun to peruse . . .

Hmmm . . . Hard to say if the power line is pre-regulated or not -- just can't read the chips. VCC markings implies it is, but that doesn't mean it needs a strict voltage to work or that a slightly higher voltage isn't tolerable. FWIW, It's at least reverse biased, so plug it in backwards and a diode chops it off :p

Still, there's a good chance it is regulated on the board -- the two 5-pin SOIC's to the left of the VCC pad (bottom middle of last picture)is a somewhat common package for low-current regulators . . . and it's just a good common practice. If that's the case, 4.2v (a fresh off the charger 1S) should be fine . . . should.

MrLewis530

I have one of those cameras... It's from Sky Viper v950str.. It is powered by a 3.7v 650mAh li-po battery. the video streems to a smart device (phone,tablet,laptop) that is running the Sky Viper app.... the video quality is poor while connected to the "drone" but not too bad if using it as a stationary camera or body cam. I've used mine as a helmet cam streeming the video to my phone in my back pocked and the picture quality was decent..

Cheers