• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What can be achieved with HobbyKing equipment (sponsored plane)

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
This plane uses HobbyKing servos, motor, ESC and batteries. It shows what can be achieved with large electric planes. It's IC equivalent has 2 horse power, whereas this plane has 8 (it goes so much faster :D).

All information about the plane is in the video if you'd like to try one for yourself.

We are also working on a half scale plane at the moment, also sponsored by HobbyKing, which should be finished by next year :)

FlyingMonkey

Stuck in Sunny FL
Staff member
Admin
I liked the part where he actually handed you the power cut off ribbon. For a moment I thought he was going to pocket it.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
So what do you do so that HobbyKing will sponsor you?
I fly in air shows and have HK stickers all over the plane. This was only a side project to the 50% plane which I think they're more interested in.

So what's the total mAH and what are the flight times?
Total mAh is 10,000. Flight times are about 12 minutes for steady circuits or 8 if you're doing aerobatics.

So who the heck is flying?
Me :p

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I bet 8, 3s 5000mah lipos weigh a TON! I love the idea though. I just don't like the thought of charging 8 5000 mah lipos after 8-12 minutes of flight lol...That would take two days on my accucel 6 :black_eyed:

Last edited:

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I bet 8, 3s 5000mah lipos weigh a TON! I love the idea though. I just don't like the thought of charging 8 5000 mah lipos after 8-12 minutes of flight lol...That would take two days on my accucel 6 :black_eyed:
They weigh 4kg! The plane is 10kg overall. Charging doesn't take too long as long as you have the HK 4 channel 3s charger. Two of them can charge a whole flights worth of batteries at 5amp per pack, and can run off a (big) car battery if you're at the field.

We haven't tried it, but you could also run the plane on just 4 batteries, so it would weigh 8kg overall and run on 12s 5000mAh.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
WOW that thing is a monster! would not want to get prop bite off it, you'd loose an arm!

Nice work :)

NAM
Cheers :)

Also here is a video from the half scale plane trying the motors. It uses 2 motors on one shaft, and runs on 12 cell 30,000 mAh (made up of 3s 5000mAh).

[video=facebook;10150688067300026]https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150688067300026[/video]

Still waiting for it to be finished off and a nice day to maiden it

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
It's running on lots of 3s 5000 mAh. It has 4 in series to get 12 cell, then 6 of those sets in parallel to get the 30,000 mAh. So it's running on 24 of them :p We may be able to cut it down to 25Ah or 20Ah etc., we're going to experiment when it gets flying.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Cheers :)

Also here is a video from the half scale plane trying the motors. It uses 2 motors on one shaft, and runs on 12 cell 30,000 mAh (made up of 3s 5000mAh).

[video=facebook;10150688067300026]https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150688067300026[/video]

Still waiting for it to be finished off and a nice day to maiden it
30 000 mAh are a lot! Have you ever flown the plane and completely emptied the batteries?