What can be achieved with HobbyKing equipment (sponsored plane)

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
This plane uses HobbyKing servos, motor, ESC and batteries. It shows what can be achieved with large electric planes. It's IC equivalent has 2 horse power, whereas this plane has 8 (it goes so much faster :D).

All information about the plane is in the video if you'd like to try one for yourself.

We are also working on a half scale plane at the moment, also sponsored by HobbyKing, which should be finished by next year :)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I liked the part where he actually handed you the power cut off ribbon. For a moment I thought he was going to pocket it.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
So what do you do so that HobbyKing will sponsor you?
yeah, no kidding...I got a bunch of planes still in boxes that are in que for me to build that are all large/giant scale...

HobbyKing: Do you want to sponsor my 78" TigerMoth or my 50cc Zero? lol

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
So what do you do so that HobbyKing will sponsor you?
I fly in air shows and have HK stickers all over the plane. This was only a side project to the 50% plane which I think they're more interested in.

So what's the total mAH and what are the flight times?
Total mAh is 10,000. Flight times are about 12 minutes for steady circuits or 8 if you're doing aerobatics.

So who the heck is flying?
Me :p

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I bet 8, 3s 5000mah lipos weigh a TON! I love the idea though. I just don't like the thought of charging 8 5000 mah lipos after 8-12 minutes of flight lol...That would take two days on my accucel 6 :black_eyed:

Last edited:

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I bet 8, 3s 5000mah lipos weigh a TON! I love the idea though. I just don't like the thought of charging 8 5000 mah lipos after 8-12 minutes of flight lol...That would take two days on my accucel 6 :black_eyed:
They weigh 4kg! The plane is 10kg overall. Charging doesn't take too long as long as you have the HK 4 channel 3s charger. Two of them can charge a whole flights worth of batteries at 5amp per pack, and can run off a (big) car battery if you're at the field.

We haven't tried it, but you could also run the plane on just 4 batteries, so it would weigh 8kg overall and run on 12s 5000mAh.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
WOW that thing is a monster! would not want to get prop bite off it, you'd loose an arm!

Nice work :)

NAM
Cheers :)

Also here is a video from the half scale plane trying the motors. It uses 2 motors on one shaft, and runs on 12 cell 30,000 mAh (made up of 3s 5000mAh).

Still waiting for it to be finished off and a nice day to maiden it

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
It's running on lots of 3s 5000 mAh. It has 4 in series to get 12 cell, then 6 of those sets in parallel to get the 30,000 mAh. So it's running on 24 of them :p We may be able to cut it down to 25Ah or 20Ah etc., we're going to experiment when it gets flying.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Cheers :)

Also here is a video from the half scale plane trying the motors. It uses 2 motors on one shaft, and runs on 12 cell 30,000 mAh (made up of 3s 5000mAh).

Still waiting for it to be finished off and a nice day to maiden it

30 000 mAh are a lot! Have you ever flown the plane and completely emptied the batteries?